Enable faster speed on retroarch cia?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Giodude, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Ive heard installing the cia build of retroarch and other emulators magically makes them run faster. I installed the cia retroarch cores and i see no difference in speed between the cia build and the 3dsx build. Is there an option im missing, or have i really misunderstood how cia emulators work. 3ds specs in sig.

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    You'll only notice differences in speeds with PS1, GBA, and Sega 32x with the CIA builds. The "magic" is dynamic recompilation, which only the CIA builds provide*. If you're still getting poor performance in one or more of those three, it's probably a settings issue, unless it's some stubborn PS1 game that just doesn't work very well no matter what you do.

*The 3DSX versions are supposed to have it too, but only on 9.2 and below, and I don't know if anyone's bothered testing dynarec on 3dsx in a while.

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    n3ds should be running gba and others pretty good one way or another.
    o3ds however, wont, so it doesnt matter

4. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    That makes way more sense then, considering the games run at the same speed as the 3dsx builds, and most of the emulators i tried weren't compatible, like snes and mgba. I knew about dynamic compilation, but i wasn't sure how it was enabled. I just couldn't find this info. Thanks.