Enable Administrator account? lost account pass. reset pass

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dilav, Jan 14, 2011.

1. dilav
    OP

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The main goal here is to enable the default disabled administrator account on windows vista/7, does anyone know a way to enable it? With/without having access to a account?

Also does anyone know how to reset the password of a account with Windows on a sata disk without access to a account?

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
  3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    If you didn't set a password to it, just enter in Safe Mode (press F8 just a while before the "Windows booting" screen) and you should be able to enter it.

As for the second question: sure, just use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It can be quite confusing using it, but it does the job.

4. dilav
    OP

United States
    QUOTE(prwlr. @ Jan 14 2011, 06:05 AM)
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Obviously I would need a account to be able to do this, I tried doing this a few times with a on standard accounts on windows 7 even with run as administrator I would get a access denied. It did work when in a administrator account.. ?

Being able to activate this account would be useful, but I can never seem to activate it. I also tried the net user administrator /active:yes trick when booting up the windows installation disc as I read somewhere but even though it says success it does no enable it.

QUOTE(raulpica @ Jan 14 2011, 06:07 AM)
    If you didn't set a password to it, just enter in Safe Mode (press F8 just a while before the "Windows booting" screen) and you should be able to enter it.

Sometimes the administrator account does not appear, not sure if I'm getting xp mixed up but i think i did see it at least once on a vista computer. What requirements does it need for it to show up? I read around and some say it only appears if there are no administrator accounts, but there must be another reason why it would show up?

QUOTE(raulpica @ Jan 14 2011, 06:07 AM)
    As for the second question: sure, just use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It can be quite confusing using it, but it does the job.

Used this on XP before, my old copy of this software does not seem to detect any or most sata drives though. Any idea if newer version supports this

Thanks for the quick replies.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Used it on a SATA drive with Win7 on it not too long ago, so it should work. Be sure to not select the 100mb System Partition that Win7 automatically creates [​IMG]

6. dilav
    OP

United States
    Thanks, will try this out when I find a flash drive.

Thank you. Problem solved.