Hacking Emunand Update

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the past day or two I've been attempting to update the emunand and receive the error message the system was unable to update and it would be restarted. Is it possible to download the firmware to my desktop, transfer it to my microsd card or sd card, and once in gateway mode update the firmware from the sd or microsd card. and if so how. Thanks.

PS: my internet connection for the 3ds is working, so i don't know why the update cant finish.

edit: i'm on omega gateway, real firmware 4.4, and emu firmware 4.4. can i play mario and luigi dreamteam with the settings as is. or does the emunand need to be higher.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For the past day or two I've been attempting to update the emunand and receive the error message the system was unable to update and it would be restarted. Is it possible to download the firmware to my desktop, transfer it to my microsd card or sd card, and once in gateway mode update the firmware from the sd or microsd card. and if so how. Thanks.

PS: my internet connection for the 3ds is working, so i don't know why the update cant finish.

edit: i'm on omega gateway, real firmware 4.4, and emu firmware 4.4. can i play mario and luigi dreamteam with the settings as is. or does the emunand need to be higher.

Disclaimer: I have only done the following on 2.0b2!

What you can try:

Do a backup of the SD card (win32diskimager or night1ys tool and manual copy)

Do a factory reset on the emunand (to get rid of any partial update data). Warning: will also delete every savedata which is stored in emunand (like Mii Plaza and eshop stuff), but as you are still on 4.4 you shouldn't have any yet.

While in emunand, leave the 3DS in standby with wlan on (in order to fetch the update in the background) until you get the "update me!" nag screen.

Click said nag screen away (in other words: don't do the update via this nag screen (might still work, but better safe than sorry)).

Do the update via the system settings (which will simply install the already downloaded update).

Worked fine for me when I had wonky internet connectivity but havent tested it on omega yet (should still work though).

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I have only done the following on 2.0b2!

What you can try:

Do a backup of the SD card (win32diskimager or night1ys tool and manual copy)

Do a factory reset on the emunand (to get rid of any partial update data). Warning: will also delete every savedata which is stored in emunand (like Mii Plaza and eshop stuff), but as you are still on 4.4 you shouldn't have any yet.

While in emunand, leave the 3DS in standby with wlan on (in order to fetch the update in the background) until you get the "update me!" nag screen.

Click said nag screen away (in other words: don't do the update via this nag screen (might still work, but better safe than sorry)).

Do the update via the system settings (which will simply install the already downloaded update).

Worked fine for me when I had wonky internet connectivity but havent tested it on omega yet (should still work though).

Hmmm I'm a tad bit confused about why I should need to wait for the nag screen to appear before updating. Why would this matter in terms of being able to perform an update.

Same thing happened to me. Just persevere, keep trying and it will eventually work.

The same thing in terms of updating the emunand? Did you end up changing the location of where you were downloading via wifi? Or was it the same connection?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm I'm a tad bit confused about why I should need to wait for the nag screen to appear before updating. Why would this matter in terms of being able to perform an update.
AFAIK, once the nag screen appears, the update has already been fully downloaded from Nintendo. It's just asking you to apply it, no wifi connection required anymore.

Reactions: bkifft

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

What Dust2dust said: You only get the nag screen once the update is downloaded completely and ready to be applied. For me applying the update (as said: to be on the safe side do it via the system settings) took way less than five minutes then.

And I'm under the impression (purely subjective speculation mind you) that the download in standby/closed lid works better. (which might very well be coincidence or some kind of skewered observation).

Back then I had internet hiccups every few arbitrary_time_units, kinda gave up, closed the lid and kinda downloaded the update on accident then. About half an hour later i decided to try it again, saw the nagscreen, did the update and alakhazam: it worked just fine.

i think he was also just clarifying that you don't accept the update from the main menu if it does pop up :D

That too, as I don't want to be responsible if the nag screen update behaves somehow different and kills Prior22's kittens

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mario and Luigi's Bowsers inside Story