emuNAND, DLC, and Save Files newbie questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jasonrye, Jan 12, 2015.

1. jasonrye
    OP

jasonrye Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2010
    United States
    I have just received and setup my GW card last night and have several questions.

1. How does streetpass/pedometer cross over between emuNAND and sysNAND? Will streetpass tags (Mii Plaza, retail games, GW games) function in both modes? Will tags received in one mode carry over to the other mode? (Mostly - will keeping the 3DS in emuNAND while I'm out and about ruin my ability to collect a legit Mii plaza army?)

2. How do .cia and DLC work? As I understand it, .cia files are put on the large SD and are installed onto the emuNAND home screen, while .3ds files are put on the microSD to be run off the GW red card. I put Fantasy Life.3ds onto my GW card, and I think it is missing the DLC content. Is there a way to install the DLC content, or do I have to switch to using a .cia version with it already unlocked? Would I be able to carry over my save data if I were to switch?

3. Where exactly is save data kept? After testing the emuNAND with the default Nintendo/Toshiba 2gb SD card, I decided to switch to an 8gb card. I didn't see the save files in the microSD, and I didn't transfer anything from the big SD card, yet it kept my save data intact for Fantasy Life and Pokemon:αS.

4. I'm currently getting the "game card removed" error on multiple games - including SSB and M&L:Dream Team. sysNAND 7.1, emuNAND 9.4, 8GB Sony SD, 8GB exFAT SanDisk MicroSD. Is this an incompatibility issue, did I miss a required step, or am I using faulty .3ds files?

5. Is it possible to install and run the emuNAND to play .cia games on a second 3DS without further requiring the GW card?

Margen67 and Thomas12345 like this.
  2. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Answers to each of your questions:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

jasonrye likes this.
  3. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Disregard his response to question 4. I've never heard that before, and he provides no evidence or explanation, simply "Don't do that".

We always encourage people to format their micro SD cards to exFAT. It's the only way to play unmodified games over 4GB directly.

A corrupted micro SD is a far more likely reason that you're encountering "game card removed" errors. I'd suggest connecting it to your computer and running your OS's error checking program on it. Then reformat, and transfer all your games to it again.

If after that, you're still having issues you may have a fake SD card.

4. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    My apologies. I thought I remembered that being a problem in the past, but as I wrote this up rather quickly I didn't double check myself.

5. jasonrye
    OP

jasonrye Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2010
    United States
    Thank you for all the answers, I understand how this thing works a lot better now.

I ran the windows error check and h2testw on the microSD, both showed no errors.
    Formatted the card twice, and still no dice. I'll try again later with a different microSD.

6. jasonrye
    OP

jasonrye Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2010
    United States

Tried using a different microSD, Samsung 16gb. No errors with the windows checked, also formatted to exFat, still won't work with SSB or M&L.

I used to use this microSD several years ago for my Acekard2, so I don't think it's a fake. Is there any other reason I would be receiving the game card removed error?

7. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Try formatting it Fat32 if your not using any roms bigger than 4 Gigs

8. jasonrye
    OP

jasonrye Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2010
    United States

Still no luck.

9. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    You may want to talk to your reseller and see about getting your card exchanged. The microSD card slot and/or the pin connectors (the things at the end of tue cart that plug in to the 3DS) might be faulty. It's starting to sound like you either have bad pins, or your 3DS slot is dirty.

10. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
  11. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I had some similar problems. I ran the SPI from the gateway menu and that seemed to help with one card, though I am not sure if it really did anything. I also determined my card reader was flaking out becuase it would not recognize two brand new cards. A quick trip to Walmart for a new one fixed that. It could have been corrupting the data and transfer. I have also had the adapters flake out in the past as well,Mary a different one.

Are these dumps from your own carts or downloaded. Try redumping them or download from a different source.

12. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
  13. viral777

viral777 mecha connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009
    United States
    thank you uber, these helped me too a bit.

14. wendeng

wendeng Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2010
    United States
    turtle land
    thorasgar likes this.
  15. jasonrye
    OP

jasonrye Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2010
    United States
    After much more google-ing, I found that this was a common glitch with the 3.0 launcher.
    Somehow, after running the Diagnostics Test on the Gateway menu, all games started working normally despite not changing anything.