Hacking EmuNAND 9.4 slow?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why people are having slowdown issues with Original System nand 9.2, makes sense if its only GW as that would be dependant on memory card transfer rates.

Personally have had 0 problems with or without themes, either way it's nice and snappy. I'm using a 32GB Transcend Ultimate by the way. Benchmarks give a read speed of 83Mb/s and a write speed of 37Mb/s on an old macbook pro.

I just purchased a new SD card to test as well, a PNY Elite with about 90MBs read and 20MBs write. I'll post once I switch it out and see if performance increases. I forgot that I switched out the stock 2GB for a 16GB about a month ago and forgot to check what class it was (it was a freebie).

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I just bought Gateway and I need you guys suggestion on what SD card gb and micro sdhc gb should I buy.. My budget a bit tight and I prefer sandisk. I just don't know what gb should I buy

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Class 10 any decent brand, for the cheapest price, don't get it off ebay. Amazon marketplace is pretty good and so is kikatek if you live in the uk. If you have a gateway don't waste your money on a stupidly big sd card, absolute waste of bloody money.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought Gateway and I need you guys suggestion on what SD card gb and micro sdhc gb should I buy.. My budget a bit tight and I prefer sandisk. I just don't know what gb should I buy

I just got a 16GB class 10 SD card from Newegg for about $15. I also got a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card for my GW for $17 from there too. Check the specifications on the Read/Write, some class 10 only get 20MB/s while others get about 80-90. Higher the better obviously but that's the main thing to watch for when looking.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I just got a 16GB class 10 SD card from Newegg for about $15. I also got a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card for my GW for $17 from there too. Check the specifications on the Read/Write, some class 10 only get 20MB/s while others get about 80-90. Higher the better obviously but that's the main thing to watch for when looking.

I've decided to buy San disk SD 8GB class 10 40MB/s and San disk micro sd 32GB class 10 (still not sure about the Mb/s). I already tested my sd card with h2testw, and phew it's legit. I bought it around $11. That's the cheapest I can here in my country. For 16GB is around $22. Ridiculously expensive I know. And for the 32GB I'm going to buy it on Christmas Day :)

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It helps considerably spending the extra for a really fast SD card to put in there, especially since with emuNAND, you're effectively booting off of it.

How about the micro sd card for GW blue cart? Any recommendations?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC the blue cart is just DS mode. But basically at least in my testing, the microSD for either card? faster cards at least help with loading with the game. As for the big SD in the 3DS's slot, that helps with emunand and saving your data.

Reactions: AlexaC

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I think I'm just going to put maximum less than 10 games at one time because I only have 8gb sd and limited time to play my ds. By the way, thanks for the help! :)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/sd-cards-2014/benchmarks,168.html
Which is the most important?

I'm thinking sequential read, amirite?

Your read will always be faster then your write for any storage device, both are important, but read is most important especially for this thread. Since the DS loads themes directly from the SD card, once booted the faster it can read the faster it can boot. I kind of verified this earlier today when I removed my SD card from the DS, it booted like it used to but without the theme. So I'm assuming once I get my faster SD card in the mail boot times will return to normal like before the 9.x update.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Your read will always be faster then your write for any storage device, both are important, but read is most important especially for this thread. Since the DS loads themes directly from the SD card, once booted the faster it can read the faster it can boot. I kind of verified this earlier today when I removed my SD card from the DS, it booted like it used to but without the theme. So I'm assuming once I get my faster SD card in the mail boot times will return to normal like before the 9.x update.
But do you think sequential read is more important that random or what?

it'd be handy to have an independent benchmark to look at for buying nand sd cards.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There is a bit of a false observation here. I don't know how many of you remember but prior to 8.x it took 2-3 seconds longer to go from black screen to firmware on boot. Now it takes less but instead the icons load more slowly. What actually happened is they were unable to make loading any faster, or slower. Instead they are now giving us partial control before everything finishes loading just to ease that sense of waiting for loading.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a bit of a false observation here. I don't know how many of you remember but prior to 8.x it took 2-3 seconds longer to go from black screen to firmware on boot. Now it takes less but instead the icons load more slowly. What actually happened is they were unable to make loading any faster, or slower. Instead they are now giving us partial control before everything finishes loading just to ease that sense of waiting for loading.

It takes more time for mine now in SysNAND alone. I just checked, from pressing power to seeing my home screen - 10 seconds. From Home screen to loading the rest of my icons - 10 more seconds. So in all, 20 seconds to boot when prior to 9.x I would be up and playing in about 5-10 seconds total. Unfortunately I can't benchmark that but it is definitely slower in my recent experience. I even remember after updating noticing a significant slowdown. If someone with a 4.5 console could time their boot to SysNAND that would help.

And I doubt Nintendo would boot home screen and then icons deliberately. They likely changed it due to theme's, giving them a chance to load first. I couldn't see them loading the home screen first, then icons to make it seem like it loads faster. The fact users can see them load gives them a sense that it IS taking longer than it used to which I couldn't see a software developer finding beneficial.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But do you think sequential read is more important that random or what?

it'd be handy to have an independent benchmark to look at for buying nand sd cards.

A high random is great, but sequential will always be higher.

Sequential will always be faster because it's reading the drive in correct sequence - block 1, then 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Random is reading them randomly - block 1, then 7, 3, 6, 10, 88, etc. A fast random is very nice but sequential will always be superior because it doesn't need to hop around. With Flash storage (SD cards) random read is not as important because there's no spinning disk.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
A high random is great, but sequential will always be higher.

Sequential will always be faster because it's reading the drive in correct sequence - block 1, then 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Random is reading them randomly - block 1, then 7, 3, 6, 10, 88, etc. A fast random is very nice but sequential will always be superior because it doesn't need to hop around. With Flash storage (SD cards) random read is not as important because there's no spinning disk.

I know the difference, I'm just asking specifically about for emunand on the 3ds with gateway which should people be looking at to find the best card for the job

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the difference, I'm just asking specifically about for emunand on the 3ds with gateway which should people be looking at to find the best card for the job

Specifically, the first and last sentences of my explanation - A high random is great, but sequential will always be higher. With Flash storage (SD cards) random read is not as important because there's no spinning disk.

It really will not matter in the end. The 3DS will spit data wherever it wants and it's likely going to be different every time. A drive will write sequentially or randomly based on what the operating system is telling it and what space is available on the drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)