EmuNAND 9.4 slow?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nurio, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I remember there being a similar thread about EmuNAND 9.2, but I can't find it anymore. I recently updated from EmuNAND 8.1 to 9.4 because I thought "why the heck not?".
    And now suddenly my EmuNAND is running significantly slower. It's far from unbearable but it is definitely noticeable. Did people find a solution to the slow-running EmuNAND?

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No. It's slow even on system nand since they added themes.

MarkDarkness, Margen67 and Nurio like this.
  3. cozmosauce

cozmosauce Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2013
    Canada
    Themes are great aren't they? Just like toolbars!

Heien, migles, neocruxZ and 15 others like this.
  4. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Consarnit... Nintendo, what did you do!? You've forsaken me!
    But thanks for the answer. Guess there's nothing to do but to accept it and move on...

5. flabulousfreddy

flabulousfreddy Advanced Member

Banned
    Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The best way I found to reduce slowness is to get a faster SD card. Ever since I got my 64GB card for my EmuNAND, it's been a LOT faster. It loads almost instantly.

6. Criznittle

Criznittle GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    California

which sd card made it faster?

7. flabulousfreddy

flabulousfreddy Advanced Member

Banned
    Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Margen67 likes this.
  8. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Sometimes when i do the DS exploit, instead of booting into gateway mode I just get a black screen.. it only happens sometimes though

does anyone else have this issue?

9. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    It's pretty cringe worthy how it takes ages to load the menu even if you don't have any theme applied :glare: You would think that if they couldn't implement themes without adding the annoying slowdown, they would make them an optional feature.

Say, wouldn't it be feasible for hackers or GW to find a way of disabling them?

Hiccup likes this.
  10. Dualin

Dualin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2014
    My 4.5 XL on 9.4 emunand takes 4-5 secs for the menu to fully loadup. My N3DS XL is pretty much instant.

11. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    would using gateway slow things down though? I wonder how fast it'll be when we can use gateway with 9.0-9.2

12. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    so this is why they try to kill old 3ds. apparently the upcoming firmwares will probably be optimized for new 3ds.

SushiKing likes this.
  13. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I haven't noticed any slowdowns over previous firmwares. I'm using themes as well. If the SD card has anything to do with it, here's mine:

32GB SDHC UHS-I Class 10 SanDisk Ultra formatted to 64KB clustering.

I don't use an EmuNAND.

14. HBK

HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Mar 30, 2007
    Portugal
    You need a faster SD. People complain of lag sometimes during games, even with their Gateway mSD, because their speeds are too slow. Note that this doesn't include lag related to playing Pokémon battles in 3D, as that comes down to shitty code optimization in an effort to release the game before Christmas and get more revenue.

If possible, try to get a class 10 one that has enough space for CIAs (if you want that). If your mSD cart already is huge, like mine (I have 64 GB class 10), then 8 GB will probably suffice (just make sure you get a fast one).

15. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    Yep as other people have already said, get a faster sd card preferably class 10 and you'll notice the difference. :)

16. Lordjontan

Lordjontan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Colombia
    I thought SD class only affected the writing speed

17. CarefulCrysis

CarefulCrysis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2013
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    No issues at all with my SanDisk SD card 3DS XL Pal 4.5 gateway emunand 9.4 :D
    [​IMG]

18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Kind of offtopic, but: the issue with Pokemon is not only kind of shitty optimization, but the 3D models of the Pokemon themselves are WAY higher quality then needed for some reason.

19. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Yeah my original 3DS is slow as a dog to turn on now. Very annoying. Just like Apple - We'll let all devices run any iOS, oh you're on old hardware, time to upgrade! Onto N3DS. Seriously just a business ploy imo.

20. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    The point though, is that it will never be the same speed as before even with a brutal SD card. I know, I bought one way back to avoid Gateway startup crashes... and while my speed at booting is faster than of my wife's 3DS with a normal SD, it STILL is unoptimized as hell. Nintendo just needs to get their crap together... but they are probably banking on the N3DS and won't fix this for 3DS.

Ericss and Maximilious like this.