Android Emulators pulled from market, now what?

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lately I have been contemplating buying an Xperia Play for emulator purposes. Today I learned that the emulators were pulled from the app store:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/0...roid-market.ars

Now, I'm wondering the following. Does this mean that my hopes for emulating (mainly snes, N64 and mame) are reduced to zero, or are there other options?

Oh, and I'm not afraid to softmod.
smile.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm aware they're still available for free in the SlideMe market. If not, check one of the less legal places which we probably shouldn't link you to.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*FACEPALM* just because the emulator isn't in the fricken top 20 apps doesn't mean its the only "good emulator". I found a great alternative for each of pulled emulators (I didn't use them to begin with).

Snes9x EX

Tiger SNES Emulator

Tiger GBA

And If you really want the pulled emulators, the developer is offering them for free on SLIDEme.

All Pulled Emulators for Free

You can also get a free psx emulator from here

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i posted this is news recently, use the link the guy above me posted "All Pulled Emulators For Free"

Snailface said:
I think emulators are available for free outside of the android store. And I don't think it's necessary to softmod the Android-powered Xperia play, it's open source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody. I don't own an Experia Play.
android is open source, i assume that you mean that the Xperia play has an unlocked bootloader, which is only true on the GSM models that are unlocked (not bought through a carrier), this makes it easy to root and mess around with, meanwhile i haven't seen any way to root the verizon Xperia Play and i don't think any of the locked GSM models have been cracked yet (unless some of the universal rooting applications work on them, i know they don't on the verizon model)

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
i posted this is news recently, use the link the guy above me posted "All Pulled Emulators For Free"

Snailface said:
I think emulators are available for free outside of the android store. And I don't think it's necessary to softmod the Android-powered Xperia play, it's open source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody. I don't own an Experia Play.
android is open source, i assume that you mean that the Xperia play has an unlocked bootloader, which is only true on the GSM models that are unlocked (not bought through a carrier), this makes it easy to root and mess around with, meanwhile i haven't seen any way to root the verizon Xperia Play and i don't think any of the locked GSM models have been cracked yet (unless some of the universal rooting applications work on them, i know they don't on the verizon model)

Root for xperia play

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you read my post? when you try to do it on the verizon Xperia Play the unlock site says it doesn't support CDMA, and it doesn't worked on any phone that the carrier locked (if they did) over in Europe either

QUOTE said:
It is currently not possible unlock the boot loader for CDMA phones.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
did you read my post, when you try to do it on the verizon Xperia Play the unlock site says it doesn't support CDMA, and it doesn't worked on any phone that the carrier locked (if they did) over in Europe either

QUOTE said:
It is currently not possible unlock the boot loader for CDMA phones.

Sorry about that. Overlooked it...
ph34r.gif

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you guys for answering. I guess that, because the machine is partially made by Sony, I autimatically assumed software would be restricted just like PSP and IOS. From reading your posts I realize I was wrong in that.

It's awesome too, that they released a gamethingy which is unlocked and ready to rock everything right out of the box. It's a tweaker's dream come true.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the emulators, just get them off of SlideME, that way you get them free, and get their updates free without having to look for updated APKs online.

I have an Xperia Play (well, not at the moment), and I have to say, my only gripes with it are the touch pads. I haven't found any emulators released that support them, and the games that do support them treat them like touchscreen controls instead of thumbsticks (as in, you have to continuously swipe them instead of holding the edge of the touch pad). But that was probably done for a reason, since Minecraft will utilize the touchpad in the same way.
(I also dislike the fact that the touchscreen only supports 4 fingers, so no Tap Tap multiplayer, but at least it's actually multitouch, unlike some other Android phones)

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Too bad about the touch pads indeed: they would make N64 gaming so much better. But I kinda expect future updates on the emulators to fix this. These emulators are open source, right?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there definitely are games out there that use the pads like analog sticks, guerrila bob, gun bros. and i'm sure there are other, with plenty more coming, it's up to the developer to decide how to use them

btw, the arrows and i believe all of the shape buttons (maybe just X & O) work with the standard gingerbread sdk, however the touchpads (and i think the bumpers too) require that you employed the xperia play's development kit

also, check out backstab, one of the highest quality games out right now, although the cut-scenes are awkward as hell

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yongzh's Emulators were pulled from the official Android Marketplace, but you can still sideload them by enabling non-Market applications to be installed.

They are currently being hosted on Slideme.org

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
Nesoid and some of the other emulators seem to have been nearly identically cloned (rebuilt with different credits and other small details?) by DigiApps
https://market.android.com/developer?pub=DigiApps
that's interesting, i wonder if yongzh is behind this, just trying to get back on the market, or if someone just went ahead and uploaded them for free

QUOTE(jesterscourt @ Jun 5 2011, 10:18 PM) Yongzh's Emulators were pulled from the official Android Marketplace, but you can still sideload them by enabling non-Market applications to be installed.

They are currently being hosted on Slideme.org
already been said a few times

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.