Emulators pulled from market, now what?

Discussion in 'Android' started by ferdi-t, Jun 3, 2011.

Jun 3, 2011
  1. ferdi-t
    OP

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Lately I have been contemplating buying an Xperia Play for emulator purposes. Today I learned that the emulators were pulled from the app store:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/0...roid-market.ars

Now, I'm wondering the following. Does this mean that my hopes for emulating (mainly snes, N64 and mame) are reduced to zero, or are there other options?

Oh, and I'm not afraid to softmod. [​IMG]

2. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I think emulators are available for free outside of the android store. And I don't think it's necessary to softmod the Android-powered Xperia play, it's open source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody. I don't own an Experia Play.

3. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    As far as I'm aware they're still available for free in the SlideMe market. If not, check one of the less legal places which we probably shouldn't link you to.

4. skystealer

Member skystealer Muah~

United States
    Just find an .apk of it, and sideload it onto your phone.

5. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    You can always find them on third-party marketplaces. Even a quick Google search will turn up their APK files.

6. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    *FACEPALM* just because the emulator isn't in the fricken top 20 apps doesn't mean its the only "good emulator". I found a great alternative for each of pulled emulators (I didn't use them to begin with).

Snes9x EX

Tiger SNES Emulator

Tiger GBA

And If you really want the pulled emulators, the developer is offering them for free on SLIDEme.

All Pulled Emulators for Free

You can also get a free psx emulator from here

7. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    i posted this is news recently, use the link the guy above me posted "All Pulled Emulators For Free"

android is open source, i assume that you mean that the Xperia play has an unlocked bootloader, which is only true on the GSM models that are unlocked (not bought through a carrier), this makes it easy to root and mess around with, meanwhile i haven't seen any way to root the verizon Xperia Play and i don't think any of the locked GSM models have been cracked yet (unless some of the universal rooting applications work on them, i know they don't on the verizon model)

8. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Root for xperia play

9. Terminator02

United States
    did you read my post? when you try to do it on the verizon Xperia Play the unlock site says it doesn't support CDMA, and it doesn't worked on any phone that the carrier locked (if they did) over in Europe either

10. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Sorry about that. Overlooked it... [​IMG]

11. ferdi-t
    OP

Netherlands
    Thank you guys for answering. I guess that, because the machine is partially made by Sony, I autimatically assumed software would be restricted just like PSP and IOS. From reading your posts I realize I was wrong in that.

It's awesome too, that they released a gamethingy which is unlocked and ready to rock everything right out of the box. It's a tweaker's dream come true.

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    For the emulators, just get them off of SlideME, that way you get them free, and get their updates free without having to look for updated APKs online.

I have an Xperia Play (well, not at the moment), and I have to say, my only gripes with it are the touch pads. I haven't found any emulators released that support them, and the games that do support them treat them like touchscreen controls instead of thumbsticks (as in, you have to continuously swipe them instead of holding the edge of the touch pad). But that was probably done for a reason, since Minecraft will utilize the touchpad in the same way.
    (I also dislike the fact that the touchscreen only supports 4 fingers, so no Tap Tap multiplayer, but at least it's actually multitouch, unlike some other Android phones)

13. ferdi-t
    OP

Netherlands
    Too bad about the touch pads indeed: they would make N64 gaming so much better. But I kinda expect future updates on the emulators to fix this. These emulators are open source, right?

14. Terminator02

United States
    there definitely are games out there that use the pads like analog sticks, guerrila bob, gun bros. and i'm sure there are other, with plenty more coming, it's up to the developer to decide how to use them

btw, the arrows and i believe all of the shape buttons (maybe just X & O) work with the standard gingerbread sdk, however the touchpads (and i think the bumpers too) require that you employed the xperia play's development kit

also, check out backstab, one of the highest quality games out right now, although the cut-scenes are awkward as hell

15. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
  16. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Yongzh's Emulators were pulled from the official Android Marketplace, but you can still sideload them by enabling non-Market applications to be installed.

They are currently being hosted on Slideme.org

17. Terminator02

United States
    already been said a few times