Homebrew Emulators or Virtual Console?

Mestizo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thought came to mind recently after being indecisive on what to spend 1000 Wii points on. Is there any differences between the VC versions of the games, versus the same game in ROM form? I was planning on doing this for Genesis games (mainly because Genesis Plus keeps ticking me off), but what of NES and SNES, which I emulate. From what I gather, the VC versions are much more clean and load instantly. The ROMs, on the other hand, allow unavailable games to be played as well as other features (cheats, save states, etc).

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
huh ?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=257...p;#entry3166578

most of the advantages/cons have already been discussed in previous (identical) threads

For me, without taking in account the multiple options that come with homebrew emulators, Genesis Plus GX & FceuGX play & sound way better than their VC counteirpart, Snes9xGX sometime feels a little less responsive and slower than SNES wads but honestly I don't see the point in using VC unless you are one of those who like to see all "their" games on the System Menu or you need the included game manual. I also think that most emulators can be modded to load a fixed ROM instantly.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Virtual Console only really needs to be used for N64 games along with any games the emulators have issues with (though this is quite rare)

Mestizo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the only issues I'm having is mostly focused upon VBA. Mainly the default sizing is too big for my screen (which I fixed), there's some audio skips, and trying to turn the Wii off with the emulator running just turns off the remote. Only one problem with FCEU is mainly that the sprite for the character in Spelunker's screwed up. The new update to Genesis Plus fixed most of the complainst I had with that. I also noticed there's channel installers for the FCEU, Snes9x, and VBA, which adds a bit on the convenience side.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldnt say its all that slow, managed to get quite a few games to run on it smooth enough but yes it does need a good polish, still is the most impressive n64 emu have seen on a console

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I just want KI Gold to be running. Last time I tried it I got sound but no graphics. No luck with an inject either
frown.gif

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd think the most obvious advantage is one of size: a VC game takes up a helluva lot more real estate, memory-wise, than an emulator and a ton of ROMs.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully when jabos graphic plugin is put in graphic and speed problems should be ironed out for wii64

linuxGuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer emulators because you can continue to backup and use your save data on the next systems that come out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.