Emulators and zipped files

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Tij, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Tij
    OP

Tij Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    I have a pretty generic question. It may have been answered 100 times, but I couldn't find it. I know all the emulators I am currently using...FCEUGX, SNES9GX, NOT64, WII64 and GenplusGX all support zip files. My question is this...
    How do most of you keep your roms? Do you zip each separately in one large zip inside rom folder? Also, does this slow down any emulator and does wiiflow still support finding all the roms and populating the plug-ins?

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Most emulators need to unzip the file and save an unzipped copy on the storage each time they load a game, while for example the entire collection of official US-released NES games measures ~150MB... there's no real reason to zip up ROMs for old systems anymore, what with the cheap size of storage, and the fact that if you want to do anything to the ROMs (apply a patch, open the ROM in an editor) you need to unzip and work with the unzipped copy makes zipping up ROMs for older systems more of a hassle than savings anyways.

I mean unless somebody really wants to download the entire collection of SNES+Genesis games even though they'll only ever even start up 1/15th of them.

Tij likes this.
  3. Tij
    OP

Tij Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the response. I do have all mine unzipped and Ill just keep them this way. Thanks again

4. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    agreed with Rydian. there is really no reason to use zipped roms anymore.

5. femalemalls15
    This message by femalemalls15 has been removed from public view by ProtoKun7, Jun 26, 2013.
    Jun 26, 2013
  6. Tij
    OP

Tij Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Rydian likes this.