Homebrew Question Emulator possibilities?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,997
  • Replies 94

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even normal Android should work, it doesn't necessarily need to be Android TV version.

Agreed but why force people to go hunting for a TV appropriate launcher? Additionally I was thinking that hackers would have an easier time just ripping code from the Shield TV considering the Switch is just a Shield TV in tablet form with an extra gig of RAM.

D

Deleted User

OP
would be funny if we got cyanogen to work XD
Guess who's installing it?
hint hint: cyanogen's ceo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Agreed but why force people to go hunting for a TV appropriate launcher? Additionally I was thinking that hackers would have an easier time just ripping code from the Shield TV considering the Switch is just a Shield TV in tablet form with an extra gig of RAM.
Android TV would need to be hacked and blah-blah, i just want root access and simple menu, not Android TV menu on a touchscreen device :d

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not ev
Guess who's installing it?
hint hint: cyanogen's ceo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Android TV would need to be hacked and blah-blah, i just want root access and simple menu, not Android TV menu on a touchscreen device :d

Not everyone plans to use a Switch as a off TV device. It's easier to have Android TV with support for controller navigation to games and emulators than standard Android that forces you to touch to navigate to the games you want. Hell's it's the main reason why I two profiles on my Android tablet. The standard launcher for productivity and on my gaming profile I use TV launcher because it's so easy to navigate my games with it and better looking.

D

Deleted User

OP
Not ev

Not everyone plans to use a Switch as a off TV device. It's easier to have Android TV with support for controller navigation to games and emulators than standard Android that forces you to touch to navigate to the games you want. Hell's it's the main reason why I two profiles on my Android tablet. The standard launcher for productivity and on my gaming profile I use TV launcher because it's so easy to navigate my games with it and better looking.
Bruh, you know that some apps can't be installed natively without exploiting Android TV itself?
Eh, it also includes lots of stuff related to NVidia Shield TV Controller which will make pairing Joy-cons pain in the ass.
Also, it's more matter of preference, some like this, some like that.

I prefer normal Android because i'm Android user since Android 2.0.1 and i got really used to Lollipop's [5.0?] new search function and other features.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The issue with any Android on the Switch is incompatibilities and inconsistencies. Trying to get all of the accessories to work without having access to drivers.. It'd just be hacky and broken for a long while.

Reactions: Deleted User

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bruh, you know that some apps can't be installed natively without exploiting Android TV itself?
Eh, it also includes lots of stuff related to NVidia Shield TV Controller which will make pairing Joy-cons pain in the ass.
Also, it's more matter of preference, some like this, some like that.

I prefer normal Android because i'm Android user since Android 2.0.1 and i got really used to Lollipop's [5.0?] new search function and other features.

I've been an Android user since 1.6 and trust me, in a gaming situation people are going to want larger Steam-style icons and a UI that works with it. so either we get Android TV or a version of Android where "TV Launcher" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv&hl=en) is the default. Switch isn't just a tablet. Switch is a home console and there will be a fair amount of Switch consoles that never see outside the four walls of a house.

D

Deleted User

OP
I've been an Android user since 1.6 and trust me, in a gaming situation people are going to want larger Steam-style icons and a UI that works with it. so either we get Android TV or a version of Android where "TV Launcher" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv&hl=en) is the default. Switch isn't just a tablet. Switch is a home console and there will be a fair amount of Switch consoles that never see outside the four walls of a house.
Man, we both have different opinions. It's not like Switch is a hybrid console.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm just waiting on the day that GCN is released via Virtual console so that I can stick it to the pessimists...
Even if they do it doesnt mean its emulating them, they can just port the source code and avoid all emulation hassles like they did with windwaker hd and twilight princess hd, im thinking the switch will have alot of hd remakes imo, i would be surprised if we got sunshine luigi mansion and eternal darkness on e shop since nintendo did cchange some licencing stuff on them and they have their source code since its nintendo game after all and porting the sourcecode is much better than making an entire gc emulaor to run full speed with switch specs and they can even improve textures and make hd rumble and all that crap.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Even if they do it doesnt mean its emulating them, they can just port the source code and avoid all emulation hassles like they did with windwaker hd and twilight princess hd, im thinking the switch will have alot of hd remakes imo, i would be surprised if we got sunshine luigi mansion and eternal darkness on e shop since nintendo did cchange some licencing stuff on them and they have their source code since its nintendo game after all and porting the sourcecode is much better than making an entire gc emulaor to run full speed with switch specs and they can even improve textures and make hd rumble and all that crap.
Then it won't be VC... You do realize that VC is emulation, right? Also, if they took the source and revamped the games for the Switch, it'll be a lot more work than if they did VC. Whether or not it's possible is out of the consumers control.. Guessing and speculating based on hardware spec means nothing. We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Then it won't be VC... You do realize that VC is emulation, right? Also, if they took the source and revamped the games for the Switch, it'll be a lot more work than if they did VC. Whether or not it's possible is out of the consumers control.. Guessing and speculating based on hardware spec means nothing. We'll have to wait and see.
there was wii games on wiiu e shop and they werent VC, im not saying they will call it VC games.., just like the wii games on wiiu e shop they will just be gc games.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not making sense.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not sure if ppsspp gonna be possible to port, the switch is a nvidia shield tv with tegra x1 but different o.s. For android it performs well on heavier games like god of war.

dreary79

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So since the Switch is ARM and Android we know it going to hacked soon? Is that what this tread is about? Does someone have Android root access yet? What kernel of Android is it running?

Last edited by dreary79,

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, PPSSPP might not be ported, but a 3ds emulator would probably work.:switch::nds: and maybe a chat program? maybe aol or discord of something
Hi! -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From Guy1: Hi!
:yayswitch: ----------------------------------------------- --- Hello! wanna play 12switch at my house? :yayswitch:

from guy2: Hello! wanna play 12switch at my house?Hello! wanna play 12switch at my house?
I can already see a ban coming.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought before I read this thread. If the Switch isn't Android and isn't remotely hacked and Nintendo isn't going to allow homebrew then why are we concerned about dev interest?
Why are we concerned about homebrew? Why are we concerned about possible entry points and exploits? Why are we concerned about anything?

Wondering if the Switch is worth making anything for, whether homebrew or otherwise, is valid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte