Android Emulation on Android new projects

Rafciu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,

Im wondering what is current state of emulation on Android. Phones gets more powerfull each year. How about Wii u, Switch (yes i know we have eggNs, but You need special controller and code is stolen from yuzu) Vita emulation? Im not asking about working emulators but about ongoing projects. Maybe some Android dev is here to share some info

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
There are none.

Quite frankly mobile SoCs just aren't powerful enough to even bother attempting Wii U or Switch emulation, and Vita emulation is basically non-existent on PC except for 1 project. While mobile SoCs are certainly getting more and more powerful all the time, and ARM SoCs have certainly shown what they're capable of with performance in mind (ie with Apples M1 silicon), when it comes to phones they just can't necessarily maintain that power for extended periods like a desktop or laptop can (because of either thermal constraints, which would be the biggy, or power constraints). You'd end up with a lot of performance dips while your phone attempts to stop itself from blowing up from heat, or killing your battery in 20 minutes.

You also have to keep in mind that it's not just having enough "power" to run something, you have to consider how compatible and "complete" the emulators for those consoles are in general (because, quite frankly, if any of these things are going to be emulated on Android, they'll be ports of Cemu or Yuzu/Ryujinx or Vita3K, not a new project from some random person/team). Cemu's currently only compatible with ~50% of the Wii U's library, which is basically nothing. Last I checked, Ryujinx/Yuzu are only compatible with like maybe 35% of the ever-growing Switch's library. Vita3K, the only Vita emulator anyone is bothering working on, has a whopping 10 compatible games (that are mostly indie things/VNs).

Nobody is going to waste development resources on porting modern console emulators to mobile devices when they're not even compatible with half of their respective libraries on PC, those resources are much better spent working on getting the emulators working in general on one platform first before anyone would bother with getting them to work on another.

EggNS is a special case, since as you noted the devs just...stole Yuzu's code and half-assed their way to compiling on ARM without bothering with things like optimization or compatibility. It barely runs easy to emulate things on top-end mobile hardware, and probably never will run well because I expect the devs will/have already abandoned the project.

ChilledShake2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'd say that a better ps2 emulator has to be developed. Even tho Damon ps2 devs are recycling pcsx2 source code , it doesn't work well.
I've not tried the pro version but the free version struggles to run games. I tried to play mgs3 subsistence a while ago since I had given my 3ds version to a friend. And it was terrible.

Reactions: Rafciu

Rafciu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd say that a better ps2 emulator has to be developed. Even tho Damon ps2 devs are recycling pcsx2 source code , it doesn't work well.
I've not tried the pro version but the free version struggles to run games. I tried to play mgs3 subsistence a while ago since I had given my 3ds version to a friend. And it was terrible.

Pro version is no much different (also bad). So we need to wait, im hoping in 3 years from now we get some good emus like Dolphin, Drastic, Citra for more modern platforms.

Reactions: ChilledShake2002

ChilledShake2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Pro version is no much different (also bad). So we need to wait, im hoping in 3 years from now we get some good emus like Dolphin, Drastic, Citra for more modern platforms.
Yes ! Dolphin and Citra are good. I've played a couple of games on both emulators and they were good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz