Gaming Emulation on a laptop

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
From my previous topic you may know that I'm planning on buying a Lenovo Ideapad y580.
Today I started wondering about the laptop's emulation capabilities.
I would like to be able to run ps2(pcsx2) and wii/gamecube(dolphin) games upscaled to 720p.
Would anybody tell me if this is possible while the emulator is running full speed.

Laptop specs:
Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM, 2.30GHz, 6MB L3 Cache
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660m with 2 GB DDR5 Memory
15.6" (39.62cm) HD 1366x768 screen, LED backlight

All help and opinions appreciated.

DeadlyAnGeL91792

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be fine, I know youll blow dolphin out of the water as for pcsx2 it supports 2 cores only but you should still be ok considering how beasty the i7 is if anything turbo charge, i doubt youll need to tho.

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok good, thanks for the fast replies.
I will use this laptop to play the wii games I have after I sell my wii.(Sell wii to person, keep hard drive, buy laptop, back-up games on laptop, sell the hard drive).
And as for the ps2 emulator, well, Kingdom Hearts and God of War.
Also can I use an Xbox 360 wireless controller with a transeiver for both emulators?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should be good to go :).

I have a Laptop with i5 and it runs games about 90-100%. Problem is, I wanna record on top of that.. which makes it impossible for me to play lol.

You should be fine though :)

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I have a Laptop with i5 and it runs games about 90-100%. Problem is, I wanna record on top of that.. which makes it impossible for me to play lol.

Ahh, that reminded me about something. Will I be able to record footage of me playing games?(Always wanted to record Sonic Colors on my WII, but the capture devices were a bit expensive.)
I should be able to since I have a quad-core and as far as I remember Dolphin doesn't use more than two cores, which leaves two cores for recording.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Ahh, that reminded me about something. Will I be able to record footage of me playing games?(Always wanted to record Sonic Colors on my WII, but the capture devices were a bit expensive.)
I should be able to since I have a quad-core and as far as I remember Dolphin doesn't use more than two cores, which leaves two cores for recording.
Recording and playing it smoothly with your specs.. I am not too sure :(
But I dont think it would work smoothly if you record.

Whats wrong with capture cards though? I dont use capture card because I dont have a monitor/tv to play the console on (at the moment) lol.

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Recording and playing it smoothly with your specs.. I am not too sure :(
But I dont think it would work smoothly if you record.

Whats wrong with capture cards though? I dont use capture card because I dont have a monitor/tv to play the console on (at the moment) lol.
Well, maybe record and play at normal resolution, not upscaled, would have a decent framerate.
Can't wait for this laptop to come out here.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my sorry accuse for a processor (i3 vs i7 :P) is playing only two games I got on it well. :lol:
So base on that, you should be alright. :lol:

Not sure if it is any use to you, but there an app called Lenovo YouCam, which allows recording of the desktop.

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, my sorry accuse for a processor (i3 vs i7 :P) is playing only two games I got on it well. :lol:

Not sure if it is any use to you, but there an app called Lenovo YouCam, which allows recording of the desktop.
Is it any good?
Does it slow down the laptop more than fraps?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it any good?
Does it slow down the laptop more than fraps?
Haven't actually used it, so unfortunately you going to have to what 'till you get your laptop. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning