Emulation Linux/Windows OS Skin "PC into a Console"

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Most-Wanted, May 19, 2017.

1. Most-Wanted
    OP

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    Looking to place my PC in the living room as a "Console" it has a inbuilt AC wifi with Blutooth for Wii remotes, Gtx 970, BD/DVD/CD Drive etc etc, now I want a easy "Interface or OS" to select Emulators and a few pc games like Halo 1 or NFS Mostwanted, StarWars battlefront 2 "xbox games that were ported to Pc", Is Retro Pie the best option? or are their others, Can Retro Pie go over windows? or is it just linux, can it allow me to put a short cut to Halo 1 anyway?

My goal is to turn this into a Kids machine aka a console, so a 6yr can select their game and not think about anything at all, any feedback would be appreicated

Is their a 5.25 Expansion Bay that has ps2 ports or nintendo ports? kinda want my console to be "flush" and not have adapters sticking out,

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Just a note, Retropie isn't the name of the UI you see when you're using it, that's Emulation Station.

Emulation Station would work just fine, there's also Steam Big Picture Mode as well, you can add emulators, or games that launch directly in an emulator using ICE, and then you also have all your Steam games and emulation stuff etc etc.

Most-Wanted likes this.
  3. Most-Wanted
    OP

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    ahh ok, so retropie is only for low power devices and cant use steam? so its not linux?, but out of curiosity, what am i missing if i run windows with emulation station compared to RETROPIE? does that mean i miss some easy configs and controller setups that only Retropie give you?

sorry if i sound idiotic, its just a bit confusing

Last edited by Most-Wanted, May 19, 2017
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Retropie is the base Linux OS, it's just not the name of the UI is what I meant.

Emulation Station handles controller configuration and things just fine, it'd work exactly the same as on a Raspberry Pi except you won't have things like Pi Config options and such.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, May 19, 2017
    Most-Wanted likes this.
  5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You might be interested in Lakka. Note that it's a Linux OS, though, so you'll be limited on Steam games.

Last edited by Joom, May 19, 2017
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    You can also configure Retroarch as a backend to HyperSpin (the frontend GUI). It's quite nice when it's all tricked out.