Hacking Homebrew Emulating NDS

1c3d3m0n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
PSP is technically much better than a NDS. However, I'm just curious if a full-fledge NDS emulator is possible for PSP?Ignoring the fact the PSP doesn't have a touch screen or two screens, is it possible to make such a emulator? I remember seeing a Pokemon Pearl being played on a PSP, the graphics are very bad and choppy.

*This topic can be closed immediately if its a darn stupid question for the experienced people in this fourm.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PSP is technically much better than a NDS. However, I'm just curious if a full-fledge NDS emulator is possible for PSP?Ignoring the fact the PSP doesn't have a touch screen or two screens, is it possible to make such a emulator? I remember seeing a Pokemon Pearl being played on a PSP, the graphics are very bad and choppy.

*This topic can be closed immediately if its a darn stupid question for the experienced people in this fourm.
No, there's an NDS emulator for PSP, a port of DeSmuME, and can't EVEN run anything. Only some of the most basic homebrew.

So it's a No
wink2.gif

1c3d3m0n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
No? Is it because of the technical limitation? Or rather, would people even be interested to develop one in the first place, haha.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No? Is it because of the technical limitation? Or rather, would people even be interested to develop one in the first place, haha.
It's because it's a complicated architecture. Emulating it on a PSP would require a LOT of power, and also there would be more problems with the touchscreen on a PSP than on a PC.

If some serious developer would be that crazy to take the project and do a real DS emulator for PSP, it would require an heck of a dynarec and a lot of crazy optmizations. And even doing that the max it would do would be emulating Pokémon Dash and some other 2D games.

Also, PSP is MIPS, and DS is ARM. That means a LOT.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minor correction: The port of Desmume was updated to add keypad input, so you can start some games, and it does boot up some commercial games. However, at 1-3 fps, it's not worth the effort.

Godot0102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS emulator for psp is 5-10 frames per second. Might be faster now. N64 psp emulator can go up to 20fps i think, a DS emulator could be faster since it is slower than n64.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've read that there was a start on emulating DS on PSP.
A super, super early version though.

The PSP doesn't have the right hardware to properly emulate the DS, though.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I wont believe that psp will ever have working full speed ds emulator, eaven on my computer that is 2 ghz 1gb ram and 128 mb video card some ds games work slow in emulator. If it is possible psp homebrew developers should focus on making ports of ds games on psp rather that making an emu, this is lost cause.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: