Emulating NDS

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by 1c3d3m0n, Dec 27, 2007.

1. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

1c3d3m0n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2007
    Senegal
    PSP is technically much better than a NDS. However, I'm just curious if a full-fledge NDS emulator is possible for PSP?Ignoring the fact the PSP doesn't have a touch screen or two screens, is it possible to make such a emulator? I remember seeing a Pokemon Pearl being played on a PSP, the graphics are very bad and choppy.

*This topic can be closed immediately if its a darn stupid question for the experienced people in this fourm.

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    No, there's an NDS emulator for PSP, a port of DeSmuME, and can't EVEN run anything. Only some of the most basic homebrew.

So it's a No [​IMG]

3. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

1c3d3m0n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2007
    Senegal
    No? Is it because of the technical limitation? Or rather, would people even be interested to develop one in the first place, haha.

4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    It's because it's a complicated architecture. Emulating it on a PSP would require a LOT of power, and also there would be more problems with the touchscreen on a PSP than on a PC.

If some serious developer would be that crazy to take the project and do a real DS emulator for PSP, it would require an heck of a dynarec and a lot of crazy optmizations. And even doing that the max it would do would be emulating Pokémon Dash and some other 2D games.

Also, PSP is MIPS, and DS is ARM. That means a LOT.

5. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Minor correction: The port of Desmume was updated to add keypad input, so you can start some games, and it does boot up some commercial games. However, at 1-3 fps, it's not worth the effort.

6. Godot0102

Godot0102 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2007
    United States
    DS emulator for psp is 5-10 frames per second. Might be faster now. N64 psp emulator can go up to 20fps i think, a DS emulator could be faster since it is slower than n64.

7. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    I've read that there was a start on emulating DS on PSP.
    A super, super early version though.

The PSP doesn't have the right hardware to properly emulate the DS, though.

8. azotyp

azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2007
    Poland
    Poland
    I wont believe that psp will ever have working full speed ds emulator, eaven on my computer that is 2 ghz 1gb ram and 128 mb video card some ds games work slow in emulator. If it is possible psp homebrew developers should focus on making ports of ds games on psp rather that making an emu, this is lost cause.

9. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    That's not true. The DS is more powerful than the N64.