Emulate 2 Game Boy (Advance)s at Once?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by duffmmann, May 12, 2017.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I mentioned this a while ago in the homebrew suggestion thread, but I thought it was such a great idea that got burried that I thought I might mention it here and hope that the right person that knows what they're doing might consider doing this.

The idea is based on a little known Wii homebrew app known as GB4GB that could emulate up to 4 Game Boy colors at once on your screen, and you could link between screens 1 and 2 as well as between screens 3 and 4. Due to there only being one release it was more of a proof of concept as it would run slow if you were doing even just 2 Color games at once. However if you did 2 normal Game Boy games at the same time it would actually run pretty well, me and my buddy were playing Pokemon Red and Blue together this way and it was a blast. The screen size was small and couldn't be made any bigger, fortunately the TV we used had a zoom feature and that actually really helped out for our experience.

Anyway, I'd love to see some homebrew take that same idea but use the extra power of the Wii U to instead emulate 2 GBAs at once. 4 would be fantastic, but probably would run pretty slow, plus it wouldn't look as nice as how I'm perceiving this. See what I'd like to see is one GBA emulated on your TV while you see another GBA emulated on the Gamepad. And then you could also simulate linking up and be able to play all the multiplayer GBA experiences that we're simply not able to really experience on any modern hardware (Aside from a PC). I loved the GBA version of the classic Mario Bros that you could play multiplayer, throwing your friends in the trashcan and stuff, that was a blast, and I really miss it. Plus you could trade and battle in the GBA Pokemon games as well as any other multiplayer experience you miss from the GBA era.

I would think that such a thing would be possible in theory, and I have to imagine that the speed would probably be pretty decent if not full given how powerful the Wii U is. Would anyone else like to see something like this? More importantly, does anyone think they could actually make something like this happen?

Last edited by duffmmann, May 12, 2017
    ElijahZAwesome likes this.
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's a bit more complex than just running 2 GBAs, as linking needs to be implemented too, but it should definitely be doable considering the Wii U has a 3-core CPU. You could just have each GBA running on its own core.

3. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I understand that, but as I mentioned that GB4GB emulator managed to get linking to work between 2 Game Boy (Color)s on the Wii, so it should definitely be possible I'd think.