Hardware eMMC Memory IC is "easily" replacable

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez, it appears the part numbers for what is called "NAND" in the 3DS actually correspond to products marketed by Samsung and Toshiba as being "eMMC"-enabled flash memory parts. Thus, most 3DS references to NAND are, in fact, references to an eMMC storage device.

Of course, bennyman123abc did NOT properly described the OTP or how the NAND is locked to a given 3DS console. But, if he was coming from the 3DS side of things, his comments on the eMMC chip are reasonable.

DeadlyFoez, could you help us understand what you understand the term "NAND", at least as used when referring to "Nintendo consoles in the past"?
Yes. I mostly come from the 3DS side of the hacking scene as I would expect most people on this forum unless they are returning from the Wii hacking or an older scene.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds in fact has eMMC flash memory. Anyone whom calls it a NAND chip is an idiot and should not trying to talk or sound technical. The Wii had a NAND chip. The wii u has both eMMC and NAND chips. The switch only has eMMC.

I already listed some differences between the 2 in another thread.

Its like calling a bicycle a car. Yes they both can get you from point A to point B, but thats where the similarities end.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds in fact has eMMC flash memory. Anyone whom calls it a NAND chip is an idiot and should not trying to talk or sound technical. The Wii had a NAND chip. The wii u has both eMMC and NAND chips. The switch only has eMMC.

Its like calling a bicycle a car. Yes they both can get you from point A to point B, but thats where the similarities end.
Ok but if you knew anything about the 3DS's technical side, you'd know that even Nintendo refers to the eMMC chip as NAND. It's referred to that in official development applications on the 3DS and in the SDK Development Manual.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country

Ok but if you knew anything about the 3DS's technical side, you'd know that even Nintendo refers to the eMMC chip as NAND. It's referred to that in official development applications on the 3DS and in the SDK Development Manual.

DeadlyFoez, thanks for clarifying that you understood the 3DS to have an eMMC chip. While the protocol is eMMC, the underlying flash memory is based on NAND (not NOR). :) Thus, it can be reasonably referred to by both eMMC and NAND. I didn't verify, but I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the chip in the Switch (eMMC protocol with NAND-based storage).

What I'm interested in, is a trace of the commands sent to the eMMC chip on the Switch during boot. What mode is it in? Do they bother locking any portion from writes using commands during boot? etc.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez, thanks for clarifying that you understood the 3DS to have an eMMC chip. While the protocol is eMMC, the underlying flash memory is based on NAND (not NOR). :) Thus, it can be reasonably referred to by both eMMC and NAND. I didn't verify, but I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the chip in the Switch (eMMC protocol with NAND-based storage).
That is not true. Although an eMMC chip does contain NAND gates, nearly every piece of silicon contains NAND gates vut you dont see anyone referring to a cpu as a NAND chip. Ever piece of silicon also contains NOR gates even NAND and eMMC chips but no one has ever referenced anything as a NOR chip.
It has to do with the underlying technology, not the type of gates used.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is not true. Although an eMMC chip does contain NAND gates, nearly every piece of silicon contains NAND gates vut you dont see anyone referring to a cpu as a NAND chip. Ever piece of silicon also contains NOR gates even NAND and eMMC chips but no one has ever referenced anything as a NOR chip.
It has to do with the underlying technology, not the type of gates used.
Actually, a CPU uses every logic gate. Not just NAND or NOR.

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
eMMC, MLC, SLC etc. are all kinds of NAND flash memory.

Umm no. MLC, SLC, TLC are types of NAND memory cells, while eMMC is a type of memory card standard/interface.
The 3ds in fact has eMMC flash memory. Anyone whom calls it a NAND chip is an idiot and should not trying to talk or sound technical.
NAND = raw flash, eMMC = NAND + controller.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Umm no. MLC, SLC, TLC are types of NAND memory cells, while eMMC is a type of memory card standard/interface.

NAND = raw flash, eMMC = NAND + controller.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Good job. Hopefully now everyone can shut up knowing that they have been straightened out.

Last edited by BORTZ,
Reactions: McWhiters9511

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would assume there is a couple of efuses that can cause issues doing "hardware" hacks like this.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I would assume there is a couple of efuses that can cause issues doing "hardware" hacks like this.
That is my concern as well. N didn't do that with the Wii, and no one ever actually figured out positively if the Wii U had e-fuses, but you would figure that N had to incorporate them into this console if the eMMC is so easily removable. But, on the otherhand, N doesn't care to go as far as $ony and Micro$oft to combat piracy and e-fuses could possible make in house repairs a little more of a pain in the ass.

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That is my concern as well. N didn't do that with the Wii, and no one ever actually figured out positively if the Wii U had e-fuses, but you would figure that N had to incorporate them into this console if the eMMC is so easily removable. But, on the otherhand, N doesn't care to go as far as $ony and Micro$oft to combat piracy and e-fuses could possible make in house repairs a little more of a pain in the ass.
I think so as well. Especially now how their consoles gotten popped open quite fast, they probably want to kill piracy and Nvidia is on-board with hardware. One can only guess what's in those chips at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sup