Hardware eMMC Memory IC is "easily" replacable

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's not terrible. Not good. But, not terrible either. Any way we may be able to extend the life of the battery?
Not playing Zelda The Breath Of the Wild? It's a power hog. 3 hours are kind of standard on even phones if you play on them, so it's in the standard range. The 3DS isn't magical either, it's roughly 3 hours there as well.

So it's in the standard zone. I still question people bitching about the battery, even the Vita isn't good on battery.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not playing Zelda The Breath Of the Wild? It's a power hog. 3 hours are kind of standard on even phones if you play on them, so it's in the standard range. The 3DS isn't magical either, it's roughly 3 hours there as well.

So it's in the standard zone. I still question people bitching about the battery, even the Vita isn't good on battery.
Seriously? I'm able to pull 5-6 hours usually on my 3DS. Turn off wireless and dim the screen to 3 from the Luma3DS settings along with power saver mode in the home menu.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Oh, and in "low voltage mode" the switch can reset processors to snoop now.. They are getting kinda smart.."

What do you mean by "snoop" @laramie ?
Well exactly that, the arm cpu can not only shutdown, reset or even soft reset individual processors. It does this when I think the instruction is to loop and from that loop it counts and then after a few loops the cpu will go into "low voltage mode" which is like a mini soft reset for any and if need be all. This will also check that timer and if it's ran long enough in a loop hold function it checks what it's holding for and if need be it resets the instruction.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I would be willing to bet that you could replace this 32gb eMMC chip with a 128gb one and everything would function as it should (well, as long as you did a bit by bit data transfer from the 32gb to the 128gb), but I am sure that you wouldn't be able to access that extra data area.

What is interesting is that even though the wii had 512mb of internal flash memory and that was the only size it was ever sold with, in boot0 it was hard coded that the console would have also worked with a 128mb and a 256mb NAND chips as well. So I am willing to bet that Nintendo has written the boot code to also accept larger sizes of flash memory chips since it is all part of the same product line from toshiba.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would be willing to bet that you could replace this 32gb eMMC chip with a 128gb one and everything would function as it should (well, as long as you did a bit by bit data transfer from the 32gb to the 128gb), but I am sure that you wouldn't be able to access that extra data area.

What is interesting is that even though the wii had 512mb of internal flash memory and that was the only size it was ever sold with, in boot0 it was hard coded that the console would have also worked with a 128mb and a 256mb NAND chips as well. So I am willing to bet that Nintendo has written the boot code to also accept larger sizes of flash memory chips since it is all part of the same product line from toshiba.
Much likely. The bootcode is probably the same for all of the memorychips in this line if they need to switch (pun intended!) up the different revisions of them.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anyone wanna test that theory? :P

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C6IGEsIXQAcFN09.jpg:orig
C6IGFVkWAAIgOnV.jpg:orig

Source:

nintendo_switch_emmc_pinout.png

SERuvHRGwDapFYiy

Last edited by Bug_Checker_,

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I assume that a secure OS is built in as a fail safe. It gets updated when the system does and is used as a 100% sure thing that Nintendo could either peak at in the factory, or just to always have a safe backup.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Anyone wanna test that theory? :P
I would if I could spend the money on a switch, but my wife would not go for it since I have already spent close to $5,000 in the past few months building my indoor aquaponics system. She already wasn't too keen about me blowing like $500 when I bought the Wii U in october.

Fuck, if someone wants to pony up the $$$ or donate a switch to me then I will make it happen. The only tough thing would be wiring the larger eMMC chip to the motherboard because I would not dare remove the eMMC chip from the eMMC module. As I said, BGA chips on a flex cable is way too delicate, so I would instead just solder the new eMMC chip directly to the motherboard.

Reactions: netovsk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche