Homebrew emerald vc save not injecting?

jaderocc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's up yall, so i recently exported my sav from my emerald cart and injected it to my 3ds - new 3ds xl, 11.6, b9s/gm9 installed. i played through to the elite four, then after the fact found out it would crash after beating them, so i took the save and rebattled the elite four in vba. now, i've beaten them and after making some changes in pkhex (gave myself all the tms/hms) i'm trying to reinject the save, except every time i try to load the new save i get a "the save file is corrupted. the previous save file will be loaded." message, and it loads the unedited save file. does anybody know what's going on with this? i've followed the gm9 steps on the guide for backing up and restoring gba vc saves a bunch of times prior to now and never had this problem.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You obviously didn't read any of the notes on each of the ROM-to-CIA programs. Pokemon saves need you to either patch the base game before injecting it as CIA or to edit the last 8 bytes of the save itself using a hex editor. Do either and it'll work.

jaderocc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You obviously didn't read any of the notes on each of the ROM-to-CIA programs. Pokemon saves need you to either patch the base game before injecting it as CIA or to edit the last 8 bytes of the save itself using a hex editor. Do either and it'll work.
i've read most of "the notes" (unless there's something specific you're referring to or something i'm just missing, in which case please feel free to elaborate), but it seems like you don't really have to patch it if you don't care about rtc and the internal battery message at the load screen. i've never had to use a hex editor for any of this vc stuff either, and the online shuny converter has always done the job for getting saves to be the proper size and read properly. i may be wrong but i also believe i've got a patched cia, it came from a friend. i'm not sure if you just didn't read what i posted or something but i said i've done this plenty of times before, mostly with leaf green and fire red saves from cartridges. the save files have never just straight up not loaded like this for me. this doesn't seem to be the typical edit the last couple digits in hxd out or patch the cia type of problem, namely considering the cia was doing fine with the saves until trying to reinject the edited one.

anyway, i don't want this thread to turn into semantics arguments and non-answers. i was clearly able to load the save file, i did it earlier this morning originally, getting the save file on there with no problem. i played it to the elite four, then it crashed. so i took the save i had from before/during the e4 and finished it out in vba. now i want to take that save back to the 3ds, but when i try to reinject via gm9 it gives me the file is corrupted error.

also, for the meantime i'm just playing it on mgba until i can figure out what's going on. thanks for the response! :^)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i've read most of "the notes" (unless there's something specific you're referring to or something i'm just missing, in which case please feel free to elaborate), but it seems like you don't really have to patch it if you don't care about rtc and the internal battery message at the load screen. i've never had to use a hex editor for any of this vc stuff either, and the online shuny converter has always done the job for getting saves to be the proper size and read properly. i may be wrong but i also believe i've got a patched cia, it came from a friend. i'm not sure if you just didn't read what i posted or something but i said i've done this plenty of times before, mostly with leaf green and fire red saves from cartridges. the save files have never just straight up not loaded like this for me. this doesn't seem to be the typical edit the last couple digits in hxd out or patch the cia type of problem, namely considering the cia was doing fine with the saves until trying to reinject the edited one.

anyway, i don't want this thread to turn into semantics arguments and non-answers. i was clearly able to load the save file, i did it earlier this morning originally, getting the save file on there with no problem. i played it to the elite four, then it crashed. so i took the save i had from before/during the e4 and finished it out in vba. now i want to take that save back to the 3ds, but when i try to reinject via gm9 it gives me the file is corrupted error.

also, for the meantime i'm just playing it on mgba until i can figure out what's going on. thanks for the response! :^)
The patching is so that the save can be properly read, not just for internal battery and such. It's just Pokemon that does it as far as I know. Look at your save in a hex editor before loading it on VBA and compare it to after you loaded it. You may need to remove/add the last 8 bytes (if you add they should be "00") at the far bottom of the save depending on how the emulator treats them, then import back in the game.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's up yall, so i recently exported my sav from my emerald cart and injected it to my 3ds - new 3ds xl, 11.6, b9s/gm9 installed. i played through to the elite four, then after the fact found out it would crash after beating them, so i took the save and rebattled the elite four in vba. now, i've beaten them and after making some changes in pkhex (gave myself all the tms/hms) i'm trying to reinject the save, except every time i try to load the new save i get a "the save file is corrupted. the previous save file will be loaded." message, and it loads the unedited save file. does anybody know what's going on with this? i've followed the gm9 steps on the guide for backing up and restoring gba vc saves a bunch of times prior to now and never had this problem.
the save will become corrupted after defeating the elite 4 regardless if you patched the rom or not, the only way to solve this is to inject the rom with NSUI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night