Email scam?

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just checked my inbox and saw this email titled "Don't pay this item !" Is it a scam? I for one never bought a laptop, never visited dell.com and don't use dollars. Not to mention that isn't my address. Why am I getting these stupid emails? I've even been getting some from the Bank of America - or so it says. I have nothing to do with this bank. Using hotmail.

QUOTE said:
Dear member,

This email confirms that you have paid [email protected] $699.99 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *DELL INC".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Purchased From:Dell.Inc

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
250016390196 New Dell 6400 e1505 Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz 1GB Laptop 1 $669.95 USD $669.95 USD

Shipping & Handling via USPS First Class Mail to 154XX
(includes any seller handling fees) $19.16 USD
Shipping Insurance (optional): --
Sales Tax (6.000% inPA) :Â $10.88 USD

Total: $699.99 USD
Note:Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Information

Shipping Info:Â Wayne E Bakewell
16 elm st
Brownsville, PA 15417
United States

Address Status:Â ConfirmedÂ

If you have questions about the shipping and tracking of your purchased item or service, please contact the seller [email protected].

Do you confirm this transaction?

If this transaction was not made by you please immediately take the following steps:

Login to your account by clicking on the link below
Provide requested information to ensure you are the owner of the account
Find this transaction in HISTORY and click 'Cancel Transaction'

CANCEL TRANSACTION!

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP843

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think it's a scam to get your Paypal login and password. Just to be sure, contact the actual Paypal customer service, and notify them of this.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well the email seems genuine but you'll always get god damn impersonators >.< Says email is from [email protected] - sounds real enough. And the funny thing is is I don't have a paypal account! And what's with the title of the email anyways?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you were to click the link that they provided, it would not take you to Paypal but a site that looks just like it with a similar URL name. Then when you login in with your username and password, that info would be stored in their database and from their, your a victim of identity theft.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the best way to tell is go to what you know is the REAL paypal site and log in and see if there are any charges against you. if not. this is a scam

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that link is probably a mirrored/masked site of the real Paypal site, and then when you log on, it'll jack your Information.

If you're gonna click it, at least look at the Address bar...

~Nero

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Paypal will ALWAYS refer to you in the Email by your real name, never as "member" also they won't ask you to prove you identity once you've logged in. If in doubt visit Paypal's homepage directly and never by a link in an Email

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I always fill the scam emails with fake informations and passwords. This way the scammer will have some junk in his database when he will try those paypal accounts login.
Might try that actually - username: kissmyassuscammers password: biteme
ph34r.gif

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
You should watch the Futurama film ;-) To answer: Yes, it is a scam. The link will not be the official paypal.com.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol damn you, I'm Nigerian, man! But seriously, that scam stuff really reflects badly on my country... I guess the desperation caused by most peoples' conditions in some areas of Nigeria and Africa in general because of how it was so ravaged by Europeans could lead to some, if not all, of these scam attempts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"