Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Miles said:
As for USB 2.0 drivers on the Wii, I see that being a problem.
Team Twiizers are experienced at what they do, there is no doubting that no matter how different our moral values differ from their's, and they are STILL having trouble get USB 2.0 to work.
We actually just don't care about a USB 2.0 drivers. We never tried getting it to work because it is a lot of boring, useless work. The Wii has some ehci registers at the already mentioned address with some endian madness. The EHCI specification is public and all you need to do is writing a ehci usb driver as ios module.

noobwarrior7 said:
QUOTE(shredman @ Oct 10 2008, 11:51 AM) you pay Marcan/Bushing/etc... NOTHING!

Beside of respect for their work - or do you want to tell me that Homebrew should be commercial?
He just meant that you have absolutely no rights to bitch about our opinion towards helping piracy because you don't pay us. It's our decision not to help you. And you can't change that because we owe you nothing - we just do this because it's fun and not because some wants us to something.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hyperlisk_ said:
And also: "Oh here's some code that can't be _easily_ made into a backup loader, but whatever, have fun!"
Hahahahahahaha. Er, thanks for playing, but no. If you're talking about libdi/DVDX, Waninkoko only uses that for the pre-game part of the loader, and only because he's lazy. It has nothing to do with the actual game part. He's doing that using old gamecube code and neimod's IOS toolkit, neither of which can "easily" be made into a copy loader. It's only the combination that can "easily" be made into a copy loader.

Hyperlisk_ said:
So no matter what, unsigned code and piracy began with Team Twiizers (That includes you marcan).
Boo hoo, and it also began with the Wii, so maybe it's Nintendo's fault? Geesh, maybe it began with the Big Bang, it's all its fault! Trace back all you want, but the point it becomes evil is when someone does something clearly INTENTED to be a copy loader. That would be waninkoko's stuff.

noobwarrior7 said:
these things are illegal:
-Using the modification of your system to play your backups (and obviously, warez)

interesting, no?
Yeah, the DMCA is one funny little bit of legislation. It's also illegal to play DVDs using open source software, etc (mplayer for Wii is illegal in the US!!1!)

Good thing we 1) don't particularly care about stupid pieces of legislation (we don't have a problem breaking laws that are inherently stupid and infringe on OUR rights as users) and 2) most of us live in Europe anyway. There's a line between laws that protect big companies and laws that, to supposedly do so, screw us over.

QUOTE(Mark McDonut @ Oct 10 2008, 03:52 AM) It also surprised me that for a discovery like that you'd broadcast it to the entire internet on your blog if you're so against piracy. My opinion is that half the reason the backup loaders were being worked on was because people took what information you offered and went digging deeper for it. If I didn't want to be associated with anything piracy oriented I certainly wouldn't be telling people about it or even hinting at it. It was put on your blog, caused a stir-up and Nintendo still didn't care. And waninkoko started his work.
Well, Nintendo ignored us, so we decided to release something that couldn't trivially be adapted for piracy and that would be useful for homebrew. Note how it's taken a while and quite some other pieces of software had to be released before someone managed to abuse the DVD mode to load copies.

QUOTE(Mark McDonut @ Oct 10 2008, 03:52 AM)
I've yet to see anyone in the old dreamcast or ps2 scenes bashing each other
Well, you haven't looked much then. I was a "casual" developer in the PS2 scene and observed quite a bit, and there has also been a lot of drama, bashing, etc. I've had conversations with people very much into the DC scene and they also said they've had their large share of drama. It seems to come to every console scene in one way or another.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
Mark McDonut said:
I've yet to see anyone in the old dreamcast or ps2 scenes bashing each other
Well, you haven't looked much then.
I've had conversations with people very much into the DC scene and they also said they've had their large share of drama.

ahh yes, there was definitely some drama, but man that scene was so awesome. I love all four of my DC's. that scene was revolutionary, the things Echelon did especially.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My problem is that Marcan is just being paranoid here. Unless someone puts his name on the ISO loader, it's not gonna be perceived as his, so he will not be associated with the piracy it allows.
If anything you're in the most trouble here, you hacked into the Wii and paved the road for piracy.

It's like saying breaking into somebody's house, then disabling the alarm system is fine, as long as you didn't steal anything from the house or harm anyone in the house.
It's still illegal, you're still as much in trouble as people pirating, but you claim those who do the stealing are the ones in the wrong and that you have the lofty moral high-ground here.

You pave the way for piracy and it's going to happen. You're just going to have to reap what you sow sooner or later.

When all's said and done however, I appreciate your work and what you've done to bust the Wii wide open. So thanks, even if I don't really like your attitude.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
My problem is that Marcan is just being paranoid here. Unless someone puts his name on the ISO loader, it's not gonna be perceived as his, so he will not be associated with the piracy it allows.
Homebrew will be associated with piracy. I'm associated with homebrew.

Trolly said:
If anything you're in the most trouble here, you hacked into the Wii and paved the road for piracy.
No, Nintendo is in the most trouble here. They made the Wii and therefore paved the road for piracy.

Will you drop that stupid argument? It's getting old now.

Trolly said:
It's like saying breaking into somebody's house, then disabling the alarm system is fine, as long as you didn't steal anything from the house or harm anyone in the house.
It's still illegal, you're still as much in trouble as people pirating, but you claim those who do the stealing are the ones in the wrong and that you have the lofty moral high-ground here.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but hacking the Wii (homebrew) is legal. The Twilight Hack is legal. HBC is legal. Piracy isn't.

QUOTE(Trolly @ Oct 10 2008, 06:45 PM)
When all's said and done however, I appreciate your work and what you've done to bust the Wii wide open. So thanks, even if I don't really like your attitude.
To be honest I would much prefer you stop appreciating my work if your reasons are that I helped enable piracy.

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Yeah, the DMCA is one funny little bit of legislation. It's also illegal to play DVDs using open source software, etc (mplayer for Wii is illegal in the US!!1!)

Good thing we 1) don't particularly care about stupid pieces of legislation (we don't have a problem breaking laws that are inherently stupid and infringe on OUR rights as users) and 2) most of us live in Europe anyway. There's a line between laws that protect big companies and laws that, to supposedly do so, screw us over.

lol so you have not been reading the reports from the G8 summit then if they pass the laws they are trying mate even your homebrew will be illegal along with a lot of things including linux in a fashion

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
skedone said:
lol so you have not been reading the reports from the G8 summit then if they pass the laws they are trying mate even your homebrew will be illegal along with a lot of things including linux in a fashion
Which would be the point where we start ignoring those laws because they'd be retarded. Sorry, but any law that limits what I can do with hardware that I bought without hurting anyone or committing copyright infringement is bollocks in my book.

Please quote those reports that you refer to.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
uhm people why is every thread being wasting with people trying to smash eachothers heads? let people make what they make. piracy or homebrew.

Marcan and bushing make beautiful stuff in my point of view, and waninkoko too, although it is more piracy, but who cares, both make nice tools just like many other devs make nice apps. If they like to make those then let them and stop shouting at eachother...

back on topic: it would be nice to have a USB2.0 driver for various things like media players (like already was said...)

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, I really hope the topic isn't actually supposed to be "it would be nice...."
cuz I could end that sentence several ways

to have an HD wii
to have the next zelda game
to have the wii print money for me.

those things would all be super-nice too.

but I do agree about the nice work everyone does, Im looking forward to BootMii fo sho.

Seraph863

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! Everyone has expressed their anti/pro-piracy points. Moving on now!

USB 2.0 drivers would be helpful. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to assist with the project, as much as I'd like to. What I can say is this:

If you don't like the idea and oppose the project, please don't try and hinder it. This forum is about free speech and the development of new ideas. By getting in the way of things you're just damaging the community and people's morale.

Those of you working on these "drama-filled" projects, please don't stop because someone has expressed their opinions on the matter. It's your personal opinion that counts, and it's the only one that should. I hate seeing people give up because of someone else.

Marcan: I don't mean to be rude, but your response was a bit harsh. It's not your place to attack another because your opinion differs. A simple, "No, thank you. I do not wish to help" is sufficient.

Enough flaming. If this project is to ever see light, we need cooperation, not a peanut gallery.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
Trolly said:
Homebrew will be associated with piracy. I'm associated with homebrew.

Then by being associated with homebrew, you are associated with piracy, no?

marcan said:
QUOTE(Trolly @ Oct 10 2008, 06:45 PM)
No, Nintendo is in the most trouble here. They made the Wii and therefore paved the road for piracy.

Will you drop that stupid argument? It's getting old now.
You can't avoid the fact that you helped exploit security flaws in the Wii which enabled people to write and execute custom code on the system. Nintendo didn't do that. You (along with the other people) did that. Well you probably can avoid it, since that's what you seem to be trying to do...

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph863 said:
Yay! Everyone has expressed their anti/pro-piracy points. Moving on now!

USB 2.0 drivers would be helpful. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to assist with the project, as much as I'd like to. What I can say is this:

If you don't like the idea and oppose the project, please don't try and hinder it. This forum is about free speech and the development of new ideas. By getting in the way of things you're just damaging the community and people's morale.

Those of you working on these "drama-filled" projects, please don't stop because someone has expressed their opinions on the matter. It's your personal opinion that counts, and it's the only one that should. I hate seeing people give up because of someone else.

Marcan: I don't mean to be rude, but your response was a bit harsh. It's not your place to attack another because your opinion differs. A simple, "No, thank you. I do not wish to help" is sufficient.

Enough flaming. If this project is to ever see light, we need cooperation, not a peanut gallery.

Coming from someone suggesting guitar hero or rockband to someone else in another thread who thinks guitarfun's default theme looks "boring" (which honestly, it does, which is why I modded mine). You should heed your own advice.

Seraph863

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my own advice is not to give my opinion. Sure. So saying no, there aren't any Mods for Guitar Fun and to try RB or GH instead because I hear they are fun proves... what exactly?

What would your ideal response be then?

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure that a usb 2.0 driver would help much until crediar/someone else makes a hdd iso loader application.

since making a new driver would probably require replacing the old one, maybe someone could post an approximation of the functions and their parameters/return types if possible so we could look at what needs to be coded.

it might still be the case that nintendo could offer this functionality in an upgrade, in which case our time would be better spent working on adding hdd/flash drive support to more apps or working on an hdd iso loader. I think such an iso loader would also require another modification to the ios, in the form of transferring the dvd read calls into hard disk read calls.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hyperlisk_ said:
Then by being associated with homebrew, you are associated with piracy, no?
I am being associated with piracy because I helped with homebrew. Which is exactly why I'm pissed off. Note the slight but important distinction.

QUOTE(marcan @ Oct 10 2008, 10:30 AM) You can't avoid the fact that you helped exploit security flaws in the Wii which enabled people to write and execute custom code on the system. Nintendo didn't do that. You (along with the other people) did that.
So? Exploiting security flaws in my own store-bought system isn't a problem. The problem is when people piggyback on to that to pirate games. You claim that by exploiting the security flaws I enabled piracy. I claim that by making the Wii in the first place Nintendo enabled piracy. Neither of those is less true than the other. Just because someone did something that was a prerequisite for (some form of) piracy doesn't make them responsible for piracy. The people are responsible for piracy are those who take what already exists and make it into something specifically tailored to and designed for piracy.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph863 said:
So, my own advice is not to give my opinion. Sure. So saying no, there aren't any Mods for Guitar Fun and to try RB or GH instead because I hear they are fun proves... what exactly?

What would your ideal response be then?

I posted my ideal response, go read it. He didn't ask about EFFECTS he asked about ANYTHING to make it less bland, which you can make on your own and apply to the program.

Suggesting he go buy something else instead (which doesn't allow custom songs, mind you) is just a dick move, what if he can't afford to? Some of us appreciate open source applications for being easier on our wallet. If someone was asking if there were more plugins for gimp I wouldn't tell them no (and be wrong to begin with) then suggest they go buy photoshop.

DaveMode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soooo marcan...

I realize you are busy spending time replying to posts here.. but how about coding those usb 2.0 drivers?

I promise I would never even think of using said drivers to support piracy. In fact, I find the whole piracy scene to be outright reprehensible.

*right clicks utorrent system tray icon, selects "exit"*

ahem.. like I was saying. I simply am looking to connect a 700GB hard drive to my Wii for homebrew reasons. This hard drive will only be used to run various linux distros and will at no time have files with names like ssbb-wiierd.iso, rtc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1