WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
marcan said:
Actually, you got kicked because we got you to admit what we all suspected: that you wanted to write an HDD loader anyway. You should have actually been kicked for using a web-IRC client (since those aren't allowed anyway, courtesy of the terrible, horrible signal to noise ratio from them), but that's another topic entirely, and we only realized that after the fact.

Just to note, some countries are banned entirely from efnet... ever heard the word accessibility? Those channels are already moderated with voice only stuff anyway...

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
visor1982 said:
some #wiidev idiot kicked me. no one wanted help me
frown.gif

anyone who wants usb 2 hdd loader + ehci module and can help PM me. i write that just to piss those idiots off
ph34r.gif

Actually, you got kicked because we got you to admit what we all suspected: that you wanted to write an HDD loader anyway. You should have actually been kicked for using a web-IRC client (since those aren't allowed anyway, courtesy of the terrible, horrible signal to noise ratio from them), but that's another topic entirely, and we only realized that after the fact.

On the other hand, I've been waiting for some pirate-kid (wanky-boy?) to do this. Then us homebrewers will get something out of the piracy scene for once (USB 2.0 support), instead of the other way around. You don't get the right to ask for help, though, sorry.

Not that I think you'll succeed anyway, but one can dream.

Why do people here support you blindly 'marcan'. your such a.. 'quote'.. wanky-boy

magic12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
marcan said:
visor1982 said:
frown.gif

anyone who wants usb 2 hdd loader + ehci module and can help PM me. i write that just to piss those idiots off
ph34r.gif

On the other hand, I've been waiting for some pirate-kid (wanky-boy?) to do this. Then us homebrewers will get something out of the piracy scene for once (USB 2.0 support), instead of the other way around. You don't get the right to ask for help, though, sorry.

omg, Saladman was right about nasty scene

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
Saladman said:
Why do people here support you blindly 'marcan'. your such a.. 'quote'.. wanky-boy

You evidently misunderstood the pun.

It would be hard to misunderstand what 'marcan' meant as he says such things multiple times a thread.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Just to note, some countries are banned entirely from efnet... ever heard the word accessibility? Those channels are already moderated with voice only stuff anyway...

Offtopic:
Thanks Wiicrazy, now i know why i sometims has to use an Web Client to can enter efnet xD

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "some countries are banned from EFNet". EFNet is a collection of servers and each has a number of different policies. We're not responsible for network wide bans anyway.

If you find that an entire country (or a considerable fraction of some ISP or something) is banned from #wiidev (not from EFNet), you should probably drop one of us a PM so we can fix it. If you have problems with EFNet you should try different servers.

Do NOT use web-irc clients. If we find you you'll get banned. Sorry, 99% of people using web-IRC clients are worthless idiots. Getting a real IRC client isn't that hard anyway.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Sure IRC is a little bit "freak" and "nerdy" but you are to harsh.
It is still usefull our you would use MSN/ICQ to speak with 20people xD

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
marcan said:
visor1982 said:
frown.gif

ph34r.gif

What's your problem? This person is trying to do something that will take time and effort and you're being incredibly patronising towards him. You obviously don't like piracy, that's fine, but there's no need to take the moral highground here. And there's no need to be insulting, which you are, no matter how nicely you've tried to word it.

Oh and they have the same rights as anyone else, so don't try to make out otherwise.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
In Turkey nearly everyone uses the provider TTnet, so TTnet is banned from Efnet, then as a result nearly whole country is banned. Turkey is not a big country, I guess a single ISP from China should cover millions of people...

Well as a dumb measure irc networks could shut the thing as they can not handle millions of people (though a small percent should be using irc actually), but it's dumber to shut the thing off to web saying %99 of the people coming from there is crap anyway... Even if it's true that %99 of the people coming from web based clients are actually crap (crap = noise in your 'signal to noise ratio' actually)

Well I never banned from those channels actually... At least I think so... And of course I won't beg not to be banned.. why do I care?

"Oh he's using web client let's ban him" is not even the least intelligent way to handle that...

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IRC is quite hard to use for me, and I consider myself good with computers. Difficult stuff.
And honestly marcan, while you're telling other people to grow out of their pirating habits, you're also plain-facedly insulting people. Yes, it's wrong. However, so is insulting people.
Don't wanna be the playground bully now do we?

EDIT:
QUOTE said:
What's your problem? This person is trying to do something that will take time and effort and you're being incredibly patronising towards him. You obviously don't like piracy, that's fine, but there's no need to take the moral highground here. And there's no need to be insulting, which you are, no matter how nicely you've tried to word it.

Oh and they have the same rights as anyone else, so don't try to make out otherwise.
Aha, beat me to it. Good posting
wink.gif

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
In Turkey nearly everyone uses the provider TTnet, so TTnet is banned from Efnet
You should probably take that to whoever administrates EFNet.

WiiCrazy said:
"Oh he's using web client let's ban him" is not even the least intelligent way to handle that...
We're not banning PEOPLE from the channel for using web clients. We're banning WEB CLIENTS. Get another client, poof, no more ban. The point is, if you care enough about #wiidev, you probably won't mind getting a real client. If you don't care enough, then you probably shouldn't be there. Web clients are also great ways for banned users to work around the bans.

Trolly said:
IRC is quite hard to use for me, and I consider myself good with computers. Difficult stuff.
You can't figure out /join, /part, /quit? Wii development is quite a bit harder than IRC. Come on now. If you can't handle internet chat then I'm not entirely sure what you'd be doing in a wii development channel. The fact that IRC isn't as trivial as going to a website with a java applet to talk into makes it a decent way of filtering out useless people. Don't go around claiming that we're elitist now - learning how to use IRC isn't rocket science.

QUOTE(Trolly @ Oct 10 2008, 12:30 AM) And honestly marcan, while you're telling other people to grow out of their pirating habits, you're also plain-facedly insulting people. Yes, it's wrong. However, so is insulting people.
And so is breaking the rules of the channel. You still don't get it - for all I care, pirate every Wii game out there. It's your damn choice. Just don't get me involved, directly or indirectly. That includes getting Wii Homebrew involved (which hurts homebrew users), and talking about it in places where it's forbidden (such as #wiidev). I'm not the Copyright Police, but I sure as hell don't want the Copyright Police coming across me while they're going after you. Consider "Copyright police" a generic term for any consequence of any kind caused by a copyright violation.

QUOTE(hughjass @ Oct 10 2008, 12:27 AM)
What's your problem? This person is trying to do something that will take time and effort
Someone asking for our help to effectively write an isoloader is my problem. What they're trying to do happens to be, ultimately, load isos from USB. Which we don't support or condone around #wiidev. Hence, he got kicked. If you want your own channel with your own rules, make it (don't you have #gbatemp.net anyway?).

Sorry, it doesn't matter how good your intentions are or how much effort you're going to put into something. If your goal is to load copied games, don't talk about it on #wiidev. You can argue all you want about how you can legally load backups, but the point is we don't want to hear it around there. We don't control the internet - go find somewhere else to talk about it.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i think we got your point. but the argumentation of both sides stink in so many ways that i want to pu...#

if i take a look at other consoles, not eb in those scenes is working hand in hand with each other, but at least they don't argue each other to death.

sorry but this flamewar sucks! period

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm amazed some people in the "wii dev scene" still hold onto a handful of morals, even though we're ALL running unauthorized code on our consoles, and from what information was released, basically got laughed at by Nintendo when they were contacted about their disc security flaw (after being dicked around for a week).

Especially with the new info that just came to light proving that Nintendo was blocking the twilight hack in IOS updates _2 weeks_ before unauthorized WAD's could even be installed on a Wii, just goes to show that they aren't writing updates just because of piracy, but on account of ANY code that's not their own running on a system. Not to mention that, with the drive failures people are/were dealing with on Wiis, (which I will agree is not that many, however, still enough of a possibility to be running a risk opening it and having the drive fail for reasons not caused by chipping) It's really a gamble to install a modchip to protect your investment.

I understand and respect the work team twiizers has done so far, however from reading blogs over the past year the coders don't seem like hardcore gamers, much less, I have trouble believing they've ever gotten the finger from gamestop or a retail store because an optical game disc they purchased stopped working and they were left with a 49.99 coaster. Which I have about 3 for my gamecube and was basically told fuckyou from both gamestop and the publisher last generation when asking if I could mail back the disc for a small fee and get a replacement considering I already purchased "a license".

I also find it ironic that nuke flipped shit about backup loading through GeckoOS even though right on his site is a utility I used THROUGH GeckoOS to make a back-up copy of my game. Great, So I have an ISO I can't fucking do anything with without risking breaking my console chipping it. Guess what I am capable of doing though? Putting it in a torrent and hosting it for others to download. For such talk of piracy enabling, it seems like it's easier to share stolen content than it is to run backed up content you own.

On another subject, IMHO if you were really looking forward to usb 2.0 support for homebrew, even if it were to come from piracy, there's no reason to be a dick to someone about it. If you didn't code it and it's not something that will brick a console, whats the big fucking deal? If you wanted it so bad, you could have helped him. There would be legitimate reasons for HDD support. Personally, Like i said above, I'd love an opportunity to protect my investments of discs and be able to run the fucking things I've backed up with already available tools, as opposed to making half-assed burned copies of them with some half-baked backup loader or running the risk of fucking my system up opening and soldering it.

Just seems a little hypocritical to me. Unless of course there's money from modchips passing hands behind the scenes that we don't know about. Then it would make perfect sense.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
You can't figure out /join, /part, /quit? Wii development is quite a bit harder than IRC. Come on now. If you can't handle internet chat then I'm not entirely sure what you'd be doing in a wii development channel. The fact that IRC isn't as trivial as going to a website with a java applet to talk into makes it a decent way of filtering out useless people. Don't go around claiming that we're elitist now - learning how to use IRC isn't rocket science.
My only experience with IRC was using it to connect to the videopimp.org database over mIRC and download a music video. That was fairly difficult. I can imagine chat isn't however.
I also didn't say it was harder than Wii development, and I'm not sure why you're trying to pick a fight with this, as it was just a comment on IRC.

Also, you have a point, but you're being aggressive with it!

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basicly assumption is what everybody draws to conclude that Piracy is the only way to go.

And yes i do believe that Nintendo doesnt care for having a homebrew side to the Wii coz it basicly doesnt get them any money (yes it does boil down to that) .

Backups for trying games or if you would like protect your original copy is an option but not that everbody using this method would purchase the original. Then again the software prices include estimated piracy percentage ...

Do you need to justify yourself for writing code in any way of the previous mentioned posts , nah
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
marcan said:
WiiCrazy said:
In Turkey nearly everyone uses the provider TTnet, so TTnet is banned from Efnet
You should probably take that to whoever administrates EFNet.

Well I didn't fully criticize the network... I criticized your remark and it's implications

marcan said:
QUOTE(WiiCrazy @ Oct 10 2008, 12:29 AM)
We're not banning PEOPLE from the channel for using web clients. We're banning WEB CLIENTS. Get another client, poof, no more ban. The point is, if you care enough about #wiidev, you probably won't mind getting a real client. If you don't care enough, then you probably shouldn't be there. Web clients are also great ways for banned users to work around the bans.

Effectively banning web clients is equal to the banning people in my case..
And you are telling me that first I should resolve the nation wide ban then come with the regular irc client? And don't worry I do know how to setup an irc client since I'm using them since '94. And I don't think I could remove the overall ban and I won't be bothered to use the proxies and stuff.. and still with your thinking it's just another way around the ban so I'll again be banned anyway?

So it sums up to nothing...

I'm not much into the irc stuff anyway, nothing personal, just generalizing the thing...

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying piracy is the way to go, I personally rent games because I'm lucky enough to live around the corner from a cheap movie store that rents wii games, I would suggest an application that rips a wii original disc to a usb HDD for legitimate backing up if it HAD to be that way or no way, considering I know why I'm using it (besides, I generally own the wii games worth owning, anyway).

I also own a psp with custom firmware. I also own about six psp games which I've compressed and run off of my memory stick.

People are going to do what they're going to do for their own reasons, and to act as if piracy doesn't exist without a HDD loader is retarded.

Modchips have been around before wii homebrew and will exist after what I speculate will be nintendo's homebrew channel remover/destroyer (our new fabled "load from sd" update coming next year) and to be moral police at this point is really a moot point.

We all have our ideas and beliefs about things, but what it really comes down to is the real people that get fucked over by the HDD cockblocks are guys like me who just want to protect their investments and don't have the mental capacity to learn coding.

That and piracy already exists, and people are going to do what they're going to do reguardless of what anyone else says. That and bragging that "i could code a backup loader in just a week or so! but I won't!" (paraphrased of course) is just arrogant.

EDIT: That and assuming just because someone isn't familiar with IRC, after having worked with usb controllers in the past and having a knowledge of them that has yet to be gone into detail although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, doesn't mean they guy doesn't know what he's doing as far as coding for Wii, which you may or may not have been insinuating, it did come off pretty shitty. Especially since one thing really has little to do with the other considering I've written and helped create many scripts for mirc years ago, but have always had problems grasping the concepts of learning c.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither