Hacking eDuke32 for DSTwo (DS2Linux auto-boot)

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
34517-%28icon2%29Duke3D_Linux.plg.png

34515-%28boxart%29Duke3D_Linux.plg.png

Ive always had <3 for good ol' Duke Nukem. I had kept the DS port on my card for literally years, but that sukka is damn FAR from being truly playable. With the release of DS2Linux, one of the first things I tried out was eDuke32, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it runs on the DStwo. Good enough I thought it should be shared.
While I haven't had any problems (except the audio tends to quit working after a bit on the atomic edition), I gotta say the obligatory Use At Your Own Risk.

So, for all pleasure in it, this here is the eDuke32 Dingux port set up to auto-boot on the DS2Linux beta. No fussing with the d-menu GUI to navigate, DN3D just boots when you run the plug. In fact, it doesn't even use d-menu, so it may be better about not corrupting *SD cards.

This was made with JUST the basic/needed files for DS2Linux, and a simple edit of LOCAL/sbin/MAIN. Drop the contents of the download to the root of your SD. Fire up your DSTwo, run the Duke3D_Linux.plg (<-merely a renamed dstwoLinux.plg) and get ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, unless you happen to all be out of gum.

Screen View Settings:
start+L = zoom/scaled
start+dpad = adjust x/y axis in zoom
start+R = reset to dstwo menu

Game Settings:
start/A = choose
select/B = back

A = fire
Y = jump
L = crouch
B = open
dpadL = turn left
dpadR = turn right
dpadUp = forward
dpadDown = back
B+dpadL = strafe left
B+dpadR = strafe right
X+dpadUp = look up
X+dpadDown = look down
R+dpadUp/dpadDown = change weapon
R+dpadL/dpadR = change item

download.gif
eDuke32-Dingux auto-boot

Note: there is a drawback/issue if you already have DS2Linux Beta1.0 on you DSTwo. This auto-run method changes the DS2Linux boot path, so the regular z4/z5/whatev CAN NOT be used at the same time as this duke auto-boot.
*DS2Linux won't run on a SD formatted with the Panasonic tool.

Try it out!
What are you waiting for, ..Christmas?

Last edited by VatoLoco,

VatoLoco

OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
hrm, maybe it's an SD format problem. DS2Linux doesnt like the way Panasonic formatter handles files, I used Partition Wizard to format my SD card.
The contents are meant to be dropped at the root (the .pngs aren't necessary ). I use BAGplug which can boot .plg file from anywhere on yer card. If you use official EOS you'll prolly need to make an .ini for the .plg and add 'em to the _dstwoplug folder

edit- the .png boxart is meant for BAGplug users convenience

Reactions: tito83

tito83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
hrm, maybe it's an SD format problem. DS2Linux doesnt like the way Panasonic formatter allocates files, I used Partition Wizard to format my SD card.

Yes!, that was the issue, I format the microSD with Windows default values and Duke is alive now!

Tanks!! :D

VatoLoco

OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes!, that was the issue, I format the microSD with Windows default values and Duke is alive now!

Tanks!! :D

No prob=) i'm glad it was an easy fix to get it runnin for you. I'll have to word something in the OP about how DS2Linux WONT boot with a card formatted with the Panasonic tool.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i cant seem to download the file, filetrip doesn't allow me to download it. the download button is not clickable.

Reactions: pasoka

VatoLoco

OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States

This always made me smile... where did you got that from ?

@topic: testing teh duke out.. hoping that it will work.

It's an album title from Firesign Theatre, very funny stuff if you like Monty Python style comedy =)

@topic, I just successfully downloaded the file while logged out of Filetrip, so all should be cool now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: A knuckle sandwich with extra grease.