Hacking Editing the boot info "game"?

Makoto0729

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got the idea lately.... if it's possible to edit the game that the Supercard appears to be when you select it through a firmware update (dstwoupdate.dat for 3DS), is it possible to edit the information to appear as any game you choose?

Honestly, I really don't like the logos and information for either of the games it's appeared to be, and would very much like to change it to something with a prettier icon, like Okamiden.

I've tried opening the dstwoupdate.dat in Notepad and WordPad, and neither display it correctly, and honestly, I simply can't figure out what to open it WITH to edit it.

So, my questions are two:

1) Has anyone released an editor for this that I simply don't know about?
2) If not, does anyone have any clue how to edit it, or even what program to open it with?

Thanks in advance!

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's part of how the DSTWO is able to run on your DS/DSi/XL. I think it's called a "bootrom" or something like that. The Supercard team use certain lines of code from the game (the one you want gone) to be able to boot the card. This is also part of why a DSTWO (and others) is illegal.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technical stuff.
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

Short version- all DSi compatible flash carts use an exploit of a sort tied to the game the icon comes from (there are several available but not all games are that suitable). Some of the teams had their own icon but that is seemingly what Nintendo blocked with the first flash cart killer update.
Newer games (like Okamiden) do not work as they have additional security (all the older games are in a hash whitelist where the newer ones are actually signed which can not be sorted) but there are plenty of old ones to choose from.
If you really want to remake the entire exploit using another game with a prettier icon I am sure the supercard team would be happy to have it but there are more pressing things for them to do.

For the secondary question that would probably be- why do acekards manage to swap icons for an old DS it is because the DSi and DS check cards differently on startup allowing it to be changed.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • JavaScribe @ JavaScribe:
    "23th"?
  • Ishzark @ Ishzark:
    awesome a shoutbox
  • Flame @ Flame:
    shoutbox is dead
  • Flame @ Flame:
    long live chit-chat
  • Ishzark @ Ishzark:
    spam incoming
  • Flame @ Flame:
    @Ishzark we had a real shoutbox before in old temp. old fashion one. only like 6 people used it.
  • Flame @ Flame:
    but it was kinda hidden, and on the side
  • Maq47 @ Maq47:
    Hey, can I get a trophy for winning the last giveaway? I would like to show off. :)
  • JavaScribe @ JavaScribe:
    oh so this does have persistent message history... it's just so new it had no messages when I logged on. huh
  • Scott_pilgrim @ Scott_pilgrim:
    rip shoutbox
    you were like a mini-community within temp
    at least now chat doesnt move like a snail
  • Thesolcity @ Thesolcity:
    RIP shoutbox
  • AsPika2219 @ AsPika2219:
    Welcome to chit chat just likes eating KitKat 🍫
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    RIP
  • Flame @ Flame:
    shoutbox 4lyfe
  • AsPika2219 @ AsPika2219:
    Waiting for Super Mario movie 2022 with Chris Pratt as MARIO, Anya Taylor-Joy as PEACH, Charlie Day as LUIGI, Keegan-Michael Key as TOAD, Seth Rogan as DONKEY KONG and Jack Black as villain BOWSER.
  • lemonmaster @ lemonmaster:
    super m ario
    why is key toad
    key when mario enters the wrong castle: GET OUT
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    The cast is wild
  • Flame @ Flame:
    because
    toad is key
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    i was a bit mad when i noticed the shoutbox was gone, but this is fine too. i'm old don't like change lol.
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    just wish they didn't lump all the retro console threads into one sub category

wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist: just wish they didn't lump all the retro console threads into one sub category .