Editing .RGCN files

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by loco365, Jul 10, 2011.

Jul 10, 2011

Editing .RGCN files by loco365 at 10:56 PM (1,875 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. loco365
    OP

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

I'm making a hack of Pokemon Diamond (On PHO and PC, coming here soon) but I've hit a snag. I need to edit the images that appear on signs ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVynm7MvDNs and pause at 1:26) and I can only do it with a Hex Editor. And that is incredibly difficult as there isn't a straightforward pattern to follow compared to movement permissions. Is there something that allows me to open it and edit it with ease? The pallet file I have (.RLCN) won't open in Crystaltile.

2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    then use console tool... to at least look at it then see what the right settings are and edit in another tile editor with. pal support...
    Do you mean you can't import the pallette?
    or can't open period the pallette?

save the image of the pallete as a jpeg from console tool either with a screenshot or screenshot software. open that jpeg in infranview then use infranview to save the pallette from the jpeg (as a window ,pal). import the .pal with ct2.

Also If you cannot import the pallete in ct2 but you can open the pallette as a bin... then you should be able to view it in hex then go to a certain offset then use (edit data to pallette conversion)... on the pallette pane of ct2 you should now have a usable pallette.

now I am assuming the pallette or ncgr isn't compressed right? not trying to be insulting just curious...

3. loco365
    OP

Well, I could try getting the pal from the image and open it in CT2. I can use Console Tool to view the edited .RGCN, but it's getting annoying because if I screw up, I cannot find what byte did that and it takes twice as long.

Well, that is, if I can find out how.

4. king_leo

Member king_leo Real Hero

Australia
  5. andibad

Member andibad Soon™

Indonesia
    this tutorial for ncgr with nscr ... i think is type 2, sprite with nscr...

but some sprite is not working to apply pallete ...so using consoletool or used mariokartDS editor (pallete editor is fine for pokemon game NCLR file)

@team fail: you was starting hack pokemon DS ROM?

6. loco365
    OP

Yes, I am. I plan to bring it here soon.

7. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    I don't believe I am helping a pokemon hack because I hate them but anyway:
    -load the palette file in ct2 and then select data to palette on the left
    -change to the palette tab and export it
    -open the ncgr file
    -import the palette you saved before.

8. andibad

Member andibad Soon™

Indonesia
    ncgr is have many type, if is have nscr, you must click nscr on crystaltile 2, and some is need position, like cell or cell, ect