ExDee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I saw THIS page. The Edge and CycloDS have excact PCB clones. The only thing they dont have in common is that the CycloDS has 16mbit flash. Well my friend tested both and you can use the Cyclo's skin on the Edge's. They're $27.96 on the DealExtreme but theyre sold out. Well I posted this because it seemed interesting. Now I'm wondering if I should get which of both. I also heard Cyclos are overpriced Edges.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Cyclo is an okay price, but like 5 dollars less won't hurt.
smile.gif

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was originally going to buy a cyclo this week, but since I found this, I thought I'd wait a little to see if the EDGE team updates their stuff or not. I really don't need all the extra feature it comes with the Cyclo, although it would've been nice. I play the games the way they're ment to. I just needed something that can run homebrews, games, and download play perfectly. I actually don't like it's sticker or the funky case, but I really like its price. Also, one of the other reasons why I'm not buying an EDGE right away, because I want to skin it with some Cyclo skins that I originally intended to use with cyclo. But since it currently can't, I won't.

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...the edge doesn't have an in-game menu so there is no slow motion, Real-time saves, or in game LCD brightness adjustment. It also doesn't have integrated support for the EZ Flash 3-in-1's RAM and rumble capabilities. Skinning support is also broken. It's a cheap knock-off, get the Evolution for its amazing support and features.

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...the edge doesn't have an in-game menu so there is no slow motion, Real-time saves, or in game LCD brightness adjustment. It also doesn't have integrated support for the EZ Flash 3-in-1's RAM and rumble capabilities. Skinning support is also broken. It's a cheap knock-off, get the Evolution for its amazing support and features.
Honestly, who needs LCD brightness adjustment in the middle of a game? Slow motion isn't important either... and neither is real-time saves. The original DS games don't use slow motion or real-time saves, so why should it be so important?

I'm honestly wanting an Edge pretty badly...

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
...the edge doesn't have an in-game menu so there is no slow motion, Real-time saves, or in game LCD brightness adjustment. It also doesn't have integrated support for the EZ Flash 3-in-1's RAM and rumble capabilities. Skinning support is also broken. It's a cheap knock-off, get the Evolution for its amazing support and features.

Honestly, who needs LCD brightness adjustment in the middle of a game? Slow motion isn't important either... and neither is real-time saves. The original DS games don't use slow motion or real-time saves, so why should it be so important?

I agree. Although The extra features might be a reason why people buy a cyclo, I just wanted something that can play games, and homebrews. Not all people want the extra features.

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree. Although The extra features might be a reason why people buy a cyclo, I just wanted something that can play games, and homebrews. Not all people want the extra features.
Yeah, I just hope to get some more reviews of the Edge...

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's better to wait and see how good Edge's support actually are.

Let's not forget DS-Xtreme.

Let's not forget the huge price difference between the Edge and the DS-Xtreme.

price is nothing when it doesn't get updated...
I'd still be pissed if I spent $30 and after a few months games just did not work anymore...
I wouldn't be as pissed though.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would just invest in a product that is known to be well built and supported over saving a couple of bucks on another lower cost cart, unless of course there are features the Edge has over the CycloDS, but I do not see any reason not to choose the CycloDS.

ExDee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would just invest in a product that is known to be well built and supported over saving a couple of bucks on another lower cost cart, unless of course there are features the Edge has over the CycloDS, but I do not see any reason not to choose the CycloDS.

True... I would just get the CycloDs... It recieved a gold star on the reviews. But ... I was wondering though if the CycloDS kernel will work on the Edge. Cuz they have both same PCB's

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

True... I would just get the CycloDs... It recieved a gold star on the reviews. But ... I was wondering though if the CycloDS kernel will work on the Edge. Cuz they have both same PCB's
I highly doubt it will. The CycloDS uses the update.evo to copy the firmware to a 2mb flash module in the CycloDS itself.

The EDGE, however, runs the firmware off the MicroSD card. Just this fact alone will most likely mean that the CycloDS firmware won't work.

Also, another cool feature on the CycloDS: It it is pretty much impossible to screw up a firmware update, as it has a built in Read-Only recovery mode which you can use to fix bad updates or firmware corruption.

You really get what you pay for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended