Homebrew [WIP] 3DeSmume (DS emulator for 3DS)

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
On top of being run on an underpowered console, DeSmuMe is bloated to all heck and back, so this will need so much optimization to run at any sort of decent speed you may as well write a new emulator.

Reactions: Bubsy Bobcat

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wasn't it said at least a few times that he was working on porting/reworking DeSmuMe but now he's decided to use another emulator that has much more promising results except for graphical problems? If so then all these claims of DeSmuMe 3DS going to have poor performance while founded are irrelevant.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wasn't it said at least a few times that he was working on porting/reworking DeSmuMe but now he's decided to use another emulator that has much more promising results except for graphical problems? If so then all these claims of DeSmuMe 3DS going to have poor performance while founded are irrelevant.
I know he said "don't quote me on this", but here:

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was because he was in the process of moving to a new base for his code. On his profile he was talking about how he wasn't seeing any changes between branches of Desmume, so he was going to use DSonPSP instead.

Reactions: wormdood

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wasn't quite directed at you @Xiphiidae so much as everyone here in general talking about that, but thank you.
Well, you asked a question, so I tried to answer it, but you're welcome.

Also, I should note that much of the criticism wasn't necessarily aimed at it potentially being based of DeSmuMe itself, but rather at the notion of having a DS emulator on the 3DS in the first place, such as:
"[...]but the 3DS is just not powerful enough to ever play non-hardware emulated DS games at playable speeds. Emulation requires significantly more raw power than the actual console you're trying to emulate, something the 3DS just doesn't have. In the end, this will probably be borderline useless."

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's true the emulation for the DS would probably be lacking sorely in performance but you can make the same case with some other emulators we already have out on the 3DS now. Some are lacking features and compatibility and there's a minor few that are in a similar boat to this and barely out of alpha testing waters. Heck, we even have one person trying to code an N64 emulator and that isn't even expected to run at average capacity for most of its games. If anything it's too early to tell but it's worth it to push the boundaries and see how far this project could go then to just give up before it has even started.

Also, I know you answered it but the way you worded it suggested as if I were asking you specifically. Besides which it was a rhetorical question.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's true the emulation for the DS would probably be lacking sorely in performance but you can make the same case with some other emulators we already have out on the 3DS now. Most are lacking features and compatibility and there's a minor few that are in a similar boat to this.
I agree.

Its better have something than nothing
That's exactly my point. It is better to make a thread when you have some definitive proof or demonstration, than none.

But, anyway, this is getting off-topic.

I look forward to the future of this, regardless of how it turns out.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
this will lag as hell it would be better for you to spend the time and effort of finding away to load ds roms with out using an emulator and the real ds hardware in the 3ds

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this will lag as hell it would be better for you to spend the time and effort of finding away to load ds roms with out using an emulator and the real ds hardware in the 3ds

Better than nothing. Besides, the only other way you'd be doing this is through flashcarts or the TWL firmware. This just happens to be the butterzone option between the two; should be marginally easier to do than TWL modification (don't quote me on that) but more effort than just using a flashcart.

Also, the 3DS doesn't really have DS hardware so much as it has firmware that utilises a CPU that is essentially downclocked to a DSi. (Which in turn is an overclocked DS.)

Kartik

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I agree.

That's exactly my point. It is better to make a thread when you have some definitive proof or demonstration, than none.

But, anyway, this is getting off-topic.

I look forward to the future of this, regardless of how it turns out.
Looking at how much skepticism this thread is facing,I am not sure if it has a future..

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The mods on here really need to shut this thread down until there is an actual working version of this or at least more evidence that it is actually real. All we are getting is a fued between those who want to belive and those who think it's fake and that ain't going to end well.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoops, I uploaded the wrong file xD(forgot to comment out some debug stuff :P)

There, same instructions as above

Also, it takes about a minute to init before the rom will run. So be patient before spamming please.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, how is that proof?

I uploaded the wrong file, check my next post.

Attachments

• DSon3DS.zip
    178 KB · Views: 543
Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍