[WIP] 3DeSmume (DS emulator for 3DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by shutterbug2000, Jun 9, 2016.

1. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    it looks legit to me, but what do I know? Even if this is legit, I wonder how long it'll take to get this running at a playable rate. I'm aboard the hype train! :)

2. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    He shouldn't have made a topic until he was ready to post proof. The fact he made the topic without posting that video from his profile in it, and didn't use that as proof when people asked for video, makes me question the legitimacy of any of this, honestly.

3. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    Don't quote me on this, but I think it was because he was in the process of moving to a new base for his code. On his profile he was talking about how he wasn't seeing any changes between branches of Desmume, so he was going to use DSonPSP instead.

4. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    I suggested it to him. Blame me.

There was a long profile thread on shutterbug's profile and I thought this would be a better place for discussion.
    Shutterbug is an actual, real dev, so there is no reason to think he's taking us for a ride here.

GBAFail and KiiWii like this.
  5. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Ok, it may just be me, but this seems oddly suspicious. It's not so much that the two screens are smooshed together on the top, but that together, they take up as much width as the bottom screen as opposed to taking up the full top screen. Almost like what we're seeing is not running in 3DS mode, but DS mode. Plus, we don't actually see buttons being pressed. We see a zoom-in before things start going.

I apologize if this truly was just how it was being developed on the 3DS, but it just seems odd from what was shown (along with the fact that this wasn't shown as the first PoC).

Last edited by DiscostewSM, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    I would be happy to be proven wrong. It's just history has shown that we should be cautious about believing everything that people post.

Xiphiidae and zoogie like this.
  7. Slashcash

Slashcash GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2015
    Italy
    Our daily dose of drama on GBATemp that keeps us going.

He just posted a random line of code which could be copy pasted from every homebrew of this planet. He even said that the input was not working although he posted a video with the input working. This is going to end up bad.

(You wrote an almost entire port of desmume all by yourself and you can't figure out how to transfer data to the screen buffer? )

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just a day to port a huge chunk of desmume? C'mon...

Xiphiidae, cearp and Joel16 like this.
  8. JayArRosario

JayArRosario Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2016
    does it have Action Replay codes support?

9. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    It barely runs yet, give it time!

Great work @shutterbug2000 this is outstanding! Hope you get some useful input and fix your issues as this is a huge project with incredible possibilities!

10. laharl22

laharl22 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    There is a luck to run HB like tales of dagur fullspeed on old3ds in the futur?

11. Slasher115

Slasher115 Shizuo Heiwajima

Jan 24, 2014
    Ikebukuro
    Is this real life? :wtf:

Natural likes this.
  12. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Please kill me. Why not emulate 3DS on 3DS? Or Wii on Wii U?

13. laharl22

laharl22 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    Stop spam this topic for me emulate ds on n3ds its possible the Wii have desmume and fews games work decently and the n3ds are more powerfull

14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    This. My R4 Gold Pro card has problems with certain games, and emulating it might not have that issue. Like with Resident Evil DS when I die and it's supposed to go back to the menu it freezes every time, so I have to soft reset before it tries to go back to the meni. I didn't see this on an emulator using the ROM.

15. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Cool and Epic

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    This is very suspicious if you ask me. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this seems too good to be true.

Tomato Hentai and Xiphiidae like this.
  16. ElyosOfTheAbyss

ElyosOfTheAbyss GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    This is the guy that showed the world how to emulate windows 95 on your n3DS :P
    any way, it seems to be true but since it's emulation it's slower then running DS games normally on your 3ds

Pandaxclone2 likes this.
  17. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    why dont you get started on REing that twl firm then?

18. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Cool and Epic

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    That may be true, but the 3DS is just not powerful enough to ever play non-hardware emulated DS games at playable speeds. Emulation requires significantly more raw power than the actual console you're trying to emulate, something the 3DS just doesn't have. In the end, this will probably be borderline useless.

Last edited by GalladeGuy, Jun 9, 2016
    Natural and Xiphiidae like this.
  19. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    However DS emulation on 3DS is pointless as running Citra through HBL.

Xiphiidae and GalladeGuy like this.
  20. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe it's more of a hypervisor since the 3DS has DS hardware. Some time ago, we thought there was no way to emulate GBA on DS, but gbaemu4DS would eventually run relatively decently.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted