EA Listens #2: Making Origin more "gamer-focused"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    EAorigin.png

EA's somewhat maligned digital download games service, which has several of its games on it exclusively, is apparently getting some tweaks to the way it all works from the legal/purchase perspective. The service has previously drawn criticism for a number of reasons including its terms of use and banning users from forums which in turn banned them from games. More criticism usually seems to come from EA being the occasional villain of the week in games world and because it keeps some of its games off the near dominant digital games platform "Steam", a move we shall dub "that's called business".

:arrow: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/27/ea-changing-origin-to-focus-on-gamers
    :arrow: Gamesindustry.biz article that saw this stuff said

Don't use Origin myself (nor Steam), so I can't say what's good/bad here, but their other change was a huge hit (removing online-passes entirely form games), so I'm assuming this is too.

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I don't know, can EA be redeemed for its Origin-al sin?

Seriously, though, I love Valve, but the last thing I want is for Steam to completely dominate the market. Companies and services need competition to keep them from complacency. The better a competitor Origin is, the better Steam will be for it.

xwatchmanx, Sagat, chartube12 and 3 others like this.
  3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    So what the hell was it before!?!?

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    EA's bullshit bloatware that they forced on you just to enjoy your games.

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    uh, why do I feel like it should have been this way all along?

KingVamp, Sagat and EZ-Megaman like this.
  6. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    I believe it when I see it.

EA has a known track-record for saying nice and lovely things only to do something less nice instead later on.

7. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States

steam hasn't had any competition since it launched, they are just fair.

8. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    What? Sure they do. GreenManGaming, Amazon Digital, Good Old Games, GamersGate. Just because some games are Steamworks and have Steam Keys doesn't mean Steam isn't losing a slice of that money pie.*

I wouldn't trust anything Origin wise. I'm fairly certain they still ban you for complaining about poor service on their forums, which then locks you out of all of your games.

*As an example, Mortal Kombat 9 Komplete is releasing on PC soon. It isn't on the Steam store at all, yet GreenManGaming are selling pre-orders with a 25% discount code. It's a Steamworks game, and Steam are losing sales to their competition.

Minox likes this.
  9. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Get fucked EA. You're pathetic.

10. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

An online cookbook. God damn Rydain, get on the ball.

11. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Please EA, just drop Origin and get all your games back on Steam, since nobody will ever care about Origin.

Thanks,
    Everyone

12. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    I second this

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

I wouldn't say that. Beyond indirectly competing with retail locations, they contend with services like GoG (which has equally strong deals and no DRM whatsoever) and even Amazon (Amazon actually had better deals than Steam during its last big sale - seriously, you could get Bioshock 1 and 2 and Spec Ops: The Line for under $10). There's plenty of others out there as well. Steam dominates, sure, but it's domination is not completely unquestioned.

A serious rival, one that could actually go toe-to-toe with Steam, would be even better. EA has the capitol to produce such a service, if they can get their shit together first.

14. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I got Bioshock 1+2 for $5 each on Steam. But then again this is during the summer/halloween sales, which are amazing.

But yeah people don't want to compete with Steam too hard because saying "lower the prices" to an average company triggers a defense mechanism that involves them shitting somebody else's pants and nobody wants to deal with that.