DaDAM

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I actually have one of these and i can tell you guys that this flashcart is just like the N5 (i think) in that it is a clone of a R4. Their site is dse7.net. Maybe i post some pics later.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, it even uses teh R4 kernel
happy.gif

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MarcoZ said:
what's this R4 Cloning madness? maybe it's because of the rumor that R4\M3 production got shut down?

i was going to say that

WTF with them

EDIT : what kind of rip-off will include the original-thing-name in it's site ?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
On another note, how many R4 clones are there right now?
3 that I know of, counting this.

Possible nother one calling itself the "F1", but am only basing that off the name as there are no pictures or firmware download available yet.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why dont they try cloning something good(like EDGE)? They sould clone the Acecard R.P.G or supercard DS1.

Edit: OMG! The site says R4DS update!

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
Why dont they try cloning something good(like EDGE)? They sould clone the Acecard R.P.G or supercard DS1.

Don't worry, give it time and the cloners will move in on those too. The Edge is, arguably, a cut-price and feature-reduced knock-off of Cyclo's technology.

Acecard are entering the lower-end of the market with their own cart, and it's been suggested that the developers of the DSTT learned a lot from the Supercard DS1. Give it six months, we'll probably see knock-offs of the new Acecard 2 and the DSTT if they're successful enough.

As for the "why", well... like it or not, the R4/M3Simply is probably the most successful DS flashcart to date. It's being cloned for the same reason any popular product is cloned - there's been real demand for the real item, and as a bonus there have been times when that demand's been unable to be met.

Cloners have development and manufacturing lead-times too, and because they aren't introducing anything new their products can seem to lag behind the latest developments - that's not necessarily a bad thing for them, given the end of the market they've ended up at. Yeah, I know these clones aren't the cheapest carts out there, but they're far cheaper than real R4s are at the moment - plus, they seem to be managing to sell all that they can produce.

Now, here's the interesting question: will these clones kill off the original products, and will buyers of both the original products and the clones be left without firmware updates if they do? A good parasite doesn't kill its host, and I'm kind of hoping that this is all turns out to be an R4-sanctioned operation - the last thing I want, as an R4 owner, is for firmware updates to just stop because R4 doesn't like the cloners taking advantage of them.

iann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Da DAM said:
Well, I actually have one of these and i can tell you guys that this flashcart is just like the N5 (i think) in that it is a clone of a R4. Their site is dse7.net. Maybe i post some pics later.
A relative of mine just bought an E7 and I am trying to get it to work.
What kernel are you using on yours?
From the E7 website there seems to be two choices of kernel to download, either the R4DS kernel, or their own E7 kernel:

R4DS Update E7 v1.15 kernel 2008-2-24
E7 Version_2.01 2008-5-10

I've tried downloading both but the E7 website is so slow it would take hours to download.
I thought about downloading the 1.15 kernel from the official R4 website as their website is much faster but I'm not sure if the official R4 kernel will work on an E7.
I'm thinking that the R4 kernel on the E7 website has been modified to work on the E7.

Any advice would be great.

EDIT: OK, was finally able to download the firmware, all working OK now.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
iann said:
Da DAM said:
A relative of mine just bought an E7 and I am trying to get it to work.
What kernel are you using on yours?
From the E7 website there seems to be two choices of kernel to download, either the R4DS kernel, or their own E7 kernel:

R4DS Update E7 v1.15 kernel 2008-2-24
E7 Version_2.01 2008-5-10

I've tried downloading both but the E7 website is so slow it would take hours to download.
I thought about downloading the 1.15 kernel from the official R4 website as their website is much faster but I'm not sure if the official R4 kernel will work on an E7.
I'm thinking that the R4 kernel on the E7 website has been modified to work on the E7.

Any advice would be great.

Ummm. Sorry to tell you this, but the fact that your relative bought one in the first place was a big mistake.....

iann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
Ummm. Sorry to tell you this, but the fact that your relative bought one in the first place was a big mistake.....
Tell me about it, I just don't understand people some times.
The full story is that my brother-in-law asked his cousin to get him an R4DS while he was travelling through Asia.
When the cousin arrived in Sydney, he handed over an E7 (not an R4) to my brother-in-law, just the flashcart with a 1GB microSD card (which had a crack in it anyway).
It had no box, no manual or disc, nothing, apparently he picked it up in a market on his way through the Phillipines.
Again, I really don't understand people sometimes.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Here's the new marketing philosophy for DS flashcarts cloners:

Letter + Number= Win.

It does work though, you remember it very easily in comparison to the Neoflash MK-5A9s9d98sdhsahdskhuahdiusdasd Super Gold Edition

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.