not famous
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I am a high school student and I was thinking of getting an e-reader, and I first I thought of the new Kindle DX, but then I saw that the Sony Reader has a larger selection of textbooks because of the partnership with Google. Anyway, should I get the Kindle, Sony Reader, or some other e-reader? I really like the Kindle DX for its thinness, and the size of the screen, but I don't know if the 250,000+ more titles that Google has will matter or not.

Looking for:
-portability
-good selection of common high school textbooks
-easy on the eyes (to read)?
-cost (not too big of a deal)

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious, why would you want an ebook reader for high school? Doesn't your school rent out books for free? You're in the USA... I'm finishing up high school and I would never have needed or wanted one...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are way too expensive imo
for that price you can get a netbook, or heck only spend about $150 and get a PSP, hack it and install bookr on it

iffy525

not famous
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
dark42 said:
I'm just curious, why would you want an ebook reader for high school? Doesn't your school rent out books for free? You're in the USA... I'm finishing up high school and I would never have needed or wanted one...
Nope the books cost money. My birthday is coming up and I was just trying to think of something, and I heard about the Kindle DX and related so I just thought it looked like a neat thing to have.

QUOTE(Joe88 @ May 11 2009, 11:24 AM) they are way too expensive imo
for that price you can get a netbook, or heck only spend about $150 and get a PSP, hack it and install bookr on it
True, but the PSP's screen is way smaller, not very useful for textbooks. I don't really want a netbook.

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From your responses, I'm assuming you only want the e-reader for the "coolness" factor.

What's wrong with a netbook? It can do everything that the e-readers do, plus more.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are assuming the books you will be using will be available in the proper format, and won't require a colour screen. If not you will have to make your own scans of the books you will be needing, which would be rather annoying I guess
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative