DVD Drive not working

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kicknhorse, Jul 13, 2010.

1. kicknhorse
    OP

kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    North Somerset
    Is there any other reasons people can suggest as to why a DVD drive on a computer would not work?

I have cleaned it, and checked all the connections and it all seems to be fine. I have searched for more recent drivers, to avail also.

It hasn't caused too much trouble as I have a second drive for just reading, but now when I do need to burn something I cannot, as this was the only re-writable drive.

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appriciated.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    My general rule with burners is if what you already tried (possibly along with in a caddy, as a boot drive and in another machine) did not work grab any parts you want from it (motors, lens, capacitors, chips, mainboard and so on) and get a new one- if it came with your PC or you got them as part of a "last £50" in a build then chances are it was never going to last long.

3. kicknhorse
    OP

kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    North Somerset
    Hahaha, I think you are right. It is fairly old now. I have had the same one for like 5 or 6 years so I guess it is just warn out.

I think that might be my only option is to just salvage parts. It's not too much of a problem because as soon as I can afford it I will be building a new computer anyway, I just wasn't sure if there was something I missed.

I am sure I can probably find one (or alternative solution) laying around at home for now. But thank you anyway