Durability: PSP vs. DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by miketh2005, Aug 22, 2009.

1. miketh2005
    OP

miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Which system is more durable as in dropping it. I have dropped my DS lite several times. Once from 5 feet onto concrete and nothing broke in it. I'm afraid to even take my PSP phat out of the house, it looks so... breakable.

2. Jakob95

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    My PSP phat fell like 20 times. Didn't brake but gets whole lot of scratches.

3. ShadowSol

ShadowSol GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    Canada
    Lurking
    my family friend broke his psp in a week dropping down the stairs ONCE!
    My ds phat lasted for about 4 years now... and dropping down things occassinally.
    wat do u think?

4. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    Dropped my PSP once, nothing really. Small scratch on the faceplate. Dropped my DS a few times, nothing. Touch screen is pretty scratched up due to the fact I can't be bothered to get a screen protector, though. If you're worried about the PSP falling and breaking if you're outside and walking around, just put it in a carry case and make sure it fits in your pockets properly so it won't fall out, assuming you aren't one of those idiots that walks around staring into the screen of whatever portable device they're carrying around whilst ignoring the outside world, in which case if it breaks due to you walking into a lamp post, you deserve it.

5. miketh2005
    OP

miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    lol. [​IMG] so which is better?

6. GenesisX

GenesisX GBAtemp Fan

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    a vagina :)
    -erhm- well uh i dropped my PSP (on my Knee(With my Hands)) and yeah it like crashes now [​IMG] but when i "dropped" my ds on my said "knee" it still works fine

7. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    i think according to experiences, ds is stronger though with the compact design of the psp and loose hinge of the ds, it should be the psp

8. TraumaHoundNDS

TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I don't know about dropability but with no moving parts other than the hinged screens I'd say the DS'd be the tougher of the two.

9. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    DS Phat is the most durable one of the lot. Survived me chucking it at a wall with a more broken hinge and it was still playabl (if a little loose)

10. PettingZoo

PettingZoo yesss

Oct 5, 2008
    in the trap
    And why did you do that?

11. Jamstruth

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Tried to throw it onto my bed and overshot. It lives on in a new shell.

12. SgtYutz

SgtYutz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008
    Canada
    BC CANADA
    prolly cuz of trauma center? i did the same.

13. Jamstruth

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Nah I'd just finished playing a decided to chuck it on my bed for no reason and overshot. Almost glad I did because if I didn't my dad never would've let me replace my ds case

14. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    The DS SHOULD be more breakable, as moving parts normally = more things to break in a fall.

15. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    There was a series of Youtube videos on this subject, and the DS (Lite) won spectacularly. Try searching for it. [​IMG]

Edit: I can't find them anymore, but I'm sure someone else must also remember them.

16. Clare

Clare Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    I'd have to argue for the PSP, if you're talking about better resistance to wear and tear. My PSP is older than my DS, been through more stress (my DSL has been babied), and not only has had much, much less happen to it, it's easier to open up and fix yourself. My DSL had problems long before my PSP, and now seems to be impossible to fix...

My sister's DSL also has gone into life support; it needs a new top screen, and is even younger than mine.

17. Chrono_Tata

Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    Thailand
    While the DS clam shell design would seem to have more moving parts, the PSP has internal moving parts ie. the UMD reading mechanism. My brother bought his PSP cheap from a friend since it couldn't read UMDs, so he just hacked the firmware and use it to play backups instead.