OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Originally posted by myself on the Neoflash forums.

How to Dump Your Own DS Games!
Using only an iMac (or any Mac with an Airport Extreme card), a DS, and a SLOT-1 flaschart.

You will need these programs:First, you need to configure CrossFTP, and your iMac:
Open up System Preferences. Click on Sharing. Enable Internet Sharing.
1.jpeg

Note the SSID. Then, open up Network Preferences. Write down your Ethernet IP Address.
2.jpeg

Now, fire up CrossFTP. Click "Configure" and put in your IP for the Server Host. Then, set the port to 8080.
3.jpeg

Start the server, and click on "Users" in the left sidebar. create one named "Dumper" and set their password to "dump". Check "Enabled" and "Write Permission". Set their Root directory to where you want your ROMs dumped. I use my Downloads folder. (/Users/_youruser_/Downloads)
4.jpeg

Now, open up the NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.ini that came with Rudolph's dumper. Change the IP address to yours, change the port number to 8080, and the directory to what you put in for your root directory. Set user and pass to dumper and dump, respectively.
5.jpeg

Adjust trimming if you wish, I wouldn't recommend touching the save file size.

Now we're ready to copy your lovely retail games. Make sure your Airport card is turned on and in the menubar has a little grey quarter-circle that has an arrow in it; that means internet sharing is on. Insert a Nintendo WFC-capable retail cart or just launch DSOrganize and setup your access point. Remember the SSID you had set before, it should be something like iMac if you didn't change anything. Now, if it's not already, turn on your FTP server. (Launch CrossFTP, accept the certificate, and click "Start Server." If it says "Stop Server," than it's already running and should tell you so.) Now, launch NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.nds on your DS using the loader of your choice. It should find your Mac, then connect to the FTP server. It will then ask you to remove your homebrew card and insert the game you plan to dump. Do so now. Then hit 'A' and Look at the Box on the bottom half of the bottom screen. This box tells you what the buttons do. Hit 'R' twice to get to the ROM Dumping screen. Press 'B' to start dumping your ROM. When the blue box pops up, press 'A.' It's simply informing you of the file name it's creating. Now, go enjoy yourself, because a 64MB cartridge (Advance Wars: Days of Ruin) took two hours, and a 16MB cartridge (Super Mario 64 DS) took 45 minutes. When it's done… CONGRATULATIONS! You now own an archival copy of the game and you can use if your retail cartridge gets lost or stolen! Hooray!

Want your saves, too? Go back to the first screen (Hit 'L' twice), and press 'B.' Accept the confirmation again and wait 5 seconds. CONGRATULATIONS! Your progress has been recorded for future generations. This .sav is usable directly in NO$GBA and should be a valid save for your flashcart. When you play a little more on your retail cart, select the save file on top screen, and it 'A' to update it with the latest from your cartridge.

If you make some progress off on some other medium than the original cartridge, the middle box allows for save restoration. Press 'B' to "initialize" (read: erase) the save area of your retail cartridge, and then 'A' to write the selected save to the cartridge. Make sure you select the correct one on the top screen.

If at anytime during the use of this program, you need to refresh the list of items in your computer for use by the DS, simply press 'Y'. If you wish to dump another cartridge without turning off your DS and doing it all over again, simply press 'X,' take out the old one, put in the new one, and press 'A.'

I hope this guide was helpful and will discourage piracy. Not sure how… but hey, I could dump my own games, or be a pirate. I chose the legal route, and I hope you do, too.

I will try to help if you have any questions. If you're using Windoze, check out this tutorial.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
PizzaPasta said:
This is nice! Too bad I hate Macs. Maybe there's a way with a PC?
seconded.

bout the only thing a mac can do that a PC cant... o wait, PC's do this too!

is there a reason why you set up a server or is that required for the dump tool?

sturmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Sephiroth said:
You can also do it on windows or linux.
I haven't tried it, I included a link at the end of the guide to a windows tutorial. Macs have an Airport Extreme card (at least the new ones …) that allow for internet sharing. That's the main hitch with trying it on other computers. If you can, go for it! You can find out your IP by opening the command line and typing in "ipconfig".

juggernaut911 said:
QUOTE(PizzaPasta @ Jul 7 2008, 03:00 PM) This is nice! Too bad I hate Macs. Maybe there's a way with a PC?
seconded.

bout the only thing a mac can do that a PC cant... o wait, PC's do this too!

is there a reason why you set up a server or is that required for the dump tool?
It is. The dump tool works by writing to an FTP server.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haven't tried this, but think it works by reading the ROM (obviosuly) and uploading it to an FTP site which is hosted by the Mac, should work if you get an FTP server on a Windows computer

So yea you pretty much need a wireless connection to the computer somehow or have the computer connected to a wireless router

(All this is to from what I think as I haven't messed with this as I have no retail DS games.)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an old Supercard lite, I bought it for the GBA support but was disappointed.

It does a great job of dumping DS roms though, I'm playing my dumped copy of Megaman Starforce 2 right now, and I recently did Space Invaders Extreme, and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 as well.
The dumping is actually very fast, it can do trimmed dumps and I've yet to have any issues.

sturmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I have an old Supercard lite, I bought it for the GBA support but was disappointed.

It does a great job of dumping DS roms though, I'm playing my dumped copy of Megaman Starforce 2 right now, and I recently did Space Invaders Extreme, and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 as well.
The dumping is actually very fast, it can do trimmed dumps and I've yet to have any issues.
Of course, dumping to SLOT-2 is fast. I'm talking about WiFi dumping.

SchuchWun

Trophies
Website
videogamehackers.ca
XP
Country
Canada
any pc will work you just need a wireless router and some open ports. Theoretically you can back up games from anywhere in the world with wifi and just your DS if you have a FTP server running at home.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why on earth would I want to stop pirating?
biggrin.gif

Besides, I did this months ago when I ripped my Animal Crossing game and save and put it on the 3 or so flashcarts we have around the house.

You can take the moral high ground, I'll take the free loot!

Geek72790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could never get this to work right.

Whenever I changed the IP in the .ini file, it would not change the IP, it would stay the same, , then when I tried making my computer use the static IP of the one givin' in the .ini by default, it still wouldn't connect, so I gave up.

EDIT: Got it to work, didn't see the windows tut at the bottom of the post

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.