Hacking Dump Your own DS Games

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
There are several reasons although the first 2 would be the more common and hit a legal boundary. If the mods or admins have an issue with the first 2 then go right ahead and edit them out. I'll know why.

1. Make a dump of a game that a friend owns for your own review/evaluation
2. Make a dump of a game that you are renting so you can evaluate it more casually
3. Make a dump of a game that you own so that you can have all of your games on one cart rather than 20.

mpg187

Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
CyrusBlue said:
Nice tutorial but if I had the money to buy my DS games I wouldn't be dumping them. I wouldn't even own a flashcart.I have the money to buy games, but I still use flash carts just because...

QUOTE(stuffnflufff @ Mar 4 2010, 11:07 PM) can this work with the DSi? or ONLY DS Lite? if there is one for DSi, can someone give a link?
The DSi doesn't have a GBA slot so there is no where you can dump to. Unless someone makes it so you can dump to SD. So basically DSi sucks until someone can hack it better...

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
mpg187 said:
stuffnflufff said:
can this work with the DSi? or ONLY DS Lite? if there is one for DSi, can someone give a link?
The DSi doesn't have a GBA slot so there is no where you can dump to. Unless someone makes it so you can dump to SD. So basically DSi sucks until someone can hack it better...

Actually the method described at the beginning of this thread involves Wifi as being the destination. It may work but I don't have a DSi to confirm it at all. I tend to use the old fashion route on this.

mpg187

Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
I remember that now, but a few posts up I think we were talking about slot 2 devices (you actually made the post)
shinji257 said:
At least when I was actively doing this Slot 2 solutions that had on-board storage had a proprietary setup. I wasn't referring to Slot 1 solutions which are in a different ballpark.
So that's why using them was in my mind. But I guess Wifi could work...

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help; I got everything to work perfectly, I got to the part where it says "Please pull out card and put in the one you wish to copy" (I'm paraphrasing) and I did so, and it says "The card in slot-1 cannot be recognized". I have tried this with four different DS games. I'm on Windows Vista by the way.

killajackson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried with a DSi and it says that the DSi hardware does not work. You then click A to confirm and your screen goes black.

Eldude

Trophies
XP
Country
I use two DS's. Run DSFTP 2.6 on 1 DS as the server and the backup tool on the other DS.
Transfers via the accesspoint and dumps straight onto a flashcart ready to play!

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a reason this guide only covers piece of shit crapple and doesn't even mention how to do it on a computer that doesn't suck.....like a PC????

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
You guys do know there is a much faster way if you have a slot-2 cart right?
Rudolph made a slot-1 -> slot-2 dumper a while back, I have always used it on my DSLite with my GBAMP and more recently with my 3-in-1, which is far better, because with the 3-in-1 you not only dupe the slot-1 game to your 3-in-1, using the same dumper you can copy it from the 3-in-1 back to your slot-1 flash cart, so you don't need a computer at all (which is good if a family member is hogging it).

DaiGenGar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
spinal_cord said:
You guys do know there is a much faster way if you have a slot-2 cart right?
Rudolph made a slot-1 -> slot-2 dumper a while back, I have always used it on my DSLite with my GBAMP and more recently with my 3-in-1, which is far better, because with the 3-in-1 you not only dupe the slot-1 game to your 3-in-1, using the same dumper you can copy it from the 3-in-1 back to your slot-1 flash cart, so you don't need a computer at all (which is good if a family member is hogging it).
I only have the horribly outdated M3 Adapter, and also I always have access to my comp, so an FTP server isn't a problem in theory... Is it possible to get this to work with FileZilla?

sturmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, guys. Sorry I haven't been around. Rudolph has released new versions of his tools that work the other way around, and now you connect to the DS using an FTP client instead. I use Cyberduck. If it just doesn't work, emial Rudolph. Get the new tools at the link in my first post where you used to get the old ones.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
I decided to check out the ftpd version today. It works but took a couple of tries. It will take approx 2 hours to dump a 128MB game on my setup using DS Lite. I have not tried with a DSi to see if there is a difference. I'll need to actually go out and buy one but it was a shot to see how it would work. If I'm right it also seems to dump the NDS game saves as well but I have not finished the dump to find out for sure.
wink.gif

P.S. - I'm doing a clean dump of a Chrono Trigger game that I own. My other copy is crashing so I'm doing a fresh one anyways.

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The best/fastest way I've come across to dump my own ROMs is a DS Lite, SuperCard Lite, and WoodDumper Slot 2 r27. So far, it hasn't failed me on any retail carts and takes only a few minutes, even for the biggest ROMs.

jbunsarnett

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I go through the process I get to where it says to switch and put in the ds game and when I do it just flashes === Waiting Connection === but never does anything after that. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? My firewall is turned off and so is anti virus. Also I'm using a supercard DSONEi with a DS Lite and I did make a connection through mario kart so I know it's finding the wifi.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
If you are using the newer version (where it acts like the server) then it is waiting for a connection from you on your PC. You will need to use an ftp client to connect to it.

Just an FYI. I tested it but the connection aborted 42% into the file which makes it less than ideal.

jbunsarnett

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm probably just dumb but it's still not working for me. I followed everything exactly and it just flashes ===waiting connection=== on the top screen and reads my game on the bottom screen but never connects or starts dumping. What do I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol