Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@vicicarus When you use the game dumper you will get a popup message saying how far it has progressed every 60 seconds until it has finished. (I think I set it for 30 seconds in PS-Phwoar!)
If you dont see a popup after a few minutes, then something is wrong and it is not working.

The best way to dump a game is to:

Start the game and wait until it gets to the game's menu screen.
Press the PS button on your controller to minimise the game.
Open whatever host menu you use and run the dumper payload.
While it is dumping you will see a popup every 30/60 seconds until it has finished.

If the game is not dumping, make sure that your USB dive is formatted as exFAT.
The best way to do this is to use the PS4 itself.
Go to settings > devices > USB storage devices >select your USB and press the options button to format the drive as exFAT.

vicicarus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much @Leeful for the reply,

I followed the step by step and I have some progress. They system will display that the dump is 0% complete for several minutes, then it starts to dump the game but its a slow, slow dump. 1% can take longer than 0%. I don't remember this taking that long.

While dumping the game I thought if it could be the read and write speed of my USB drive that is making the dump progress slow so I changed it to a 64gb sandisk and I do have a faster read and write speed with this one. I think I figured this part out. Is there a preferred model of flash drive with best read and write for this process?

Reactions: KiiWii

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much @Leeful for the reply,

I followed the step by step and I have some progress. They system will display that the dump is 0% complete for several minutes, then it starts to dump the game but its a slow, slow dump. 1% can take longer than 0%. I don't remember this taking that long.

While dumping the game I thought if it could be the read and write speed of my USB drive that is making the dump progress slow so I changed it to a 64gb sandisk and I do have a faster read and write speed with this one. I think I figured this part out. Is there a preferred model of flash drive with best read and write for this process?
I personally use an actual hdd in a USB 3 enclosure. The faster the drive the better. You can easily pick up a sata III 320GB for about £10 and a USB 3.0 enclosure for about £5.
Whichever drive you use, either a pen/flash drive or an external HDD you are always better going with USB 3.0.:)

vicicarus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you again @Leeful, I switched over to a 128gb SSD using a SATA to USB cable and what a difference. It zipped through the dump. I thought I read that we can only use a pen drive.

I got the app folder and the patch folder but the patch folder is empty and I also didn't get a confirmation file saying that it is complete. Going to dump game again to see if I can get the patch to extract.

Reactions: Leeful

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a tip for anyone who uses a large capacity pen drive or any USB drive for anything, not just with a PS4.

If you are constantly using the drive to install games etc, DO NOT delete the files after you have done with them.
Insted, create a folder named USED or OLD (or anything you want) and move the files in there when you are done with them.
Only delete files if you do not have enough space to do what you want with the drive.

The reason is, If you keep deleting files from the drive and leaving it empty, only the first part of the drive is only ever being used. The rest of it is never touched.
If you keep doing this you will end up with bad sectors at the start of the drive because that is the only part ever being written to.

If you let the drive fill up and only delete files when it is full you will get a much longer life from your HDD.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.