Gaming Duel boot win 7 and xp

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey I have a spare sata hard drive and want to install xp on it to duel boot with win 7 64 bit, looked on internets and it's looks ok to do but a bit long winded, anyone know of any easy ways or shortcuts for something like this?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Shortcut: Format drive, install XP first then Win7.

Problem is that when you try to installXP it can't see Windows 7 as a Windows OS or see its boot manager (as Vista+ use a different boot menu) so its not sure what to do and will likely render Win7 unbootable. This is why you have to go into EasyBCD after installing XP to fix your MBR and BCD records. This guide explains how do it pretty simply http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Any particular reason you want WinXP on your computer?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to easyBCD. Solved several hassles that program has although I will mention if you want with your setup you could probably use force a boot from the BIOS menu if you preferred.

Back on topic I should mention 7 has half decent backwards compatibility but you might also consider https://www.virtualbox.org/ - it allows you to run a complete machine from 7 and it is quite easy to pipe USB and other ports to it http://gbatemp.net/topic/275407-using-virtualbox-to-manage-legacy-gba-flashcarts/ being the one around here for old GBA carts as a nice demonstration (if old flash carts can be made to work then just about everything will).

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yea theirs a programme called pyramix that I need to install but windows 7 won't run it, it try's to install a .net thing and comes up with a error, pyramix was designed for 32bit xp systems so I thought that might be the reason, unless you can suggest a way I could install it on win 7? That would be great.

I looked at the link before as well, it does explain it all fairly well but I was just wondering if their was a easer way, like removing the win7 hard drive then putting blank hard drive in and installing xp, putting both hard drives in and see if tht works maybe.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea theirs a programme called pyramix that I need to install but windows 7 won't run it, it try's to install a .net thing and comes up with a error, pyramix was designed for 32bit xp systems so I thought that might be the reason, unless you can suggest a way I could install it on win 7? That would be great.

I looked at the link before as well, it does explain it all fairly well but I was just wondering if their was a easer way, like removing the win7 hard drive then putting blank hard drive in and installing xp, putting both hard drives in and see if tht works maybe.
Your computer would default to the Master drive for boot in that situation, i think. If there's 2 drives with different MBRs it will go with whatever's on the master drive (which would likely be 7 for you)

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
like removing the win7 hard drive then putting blank hard drive in and installing xp, putting both hard drives in and see if tht works maybe.
This is what you need to do.
you don't need to touch your win7
just reinstall win7 on a VHD afterwards it will fix the bootloader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head