PS1/2 Dualshock 2 restoration (Start button doesn't work very well)

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello. Yesterday i started a project of restoring my two original PS2 Dualshock 2 controllers to former glory. One of my controllers had problems with the X and Start buttons, where X had to be pressed very hard to work, and Start flat out didn't worked. I opened the controller, cleaned dirty and the front pcb with Isopropyl Alcohol, cleaned all the outer sheel and swapped the original membranes for new ones i had from a spare generic PS2 controller (they are all the same).

While button X was fully restored - now i just have to give a light tap - Start is still a bit finicky. It works now, but still needs hard presses to register the input. Any ideas on what should i do? I checked the pcb, no trace is damaged. I was thinking i adding a bit of powdered graphite + enamel base on the black contact of the Start button, as sort of a conductive paint, is it a good idea? I really dislike how the Dualshock 2's Start is very mushy, sadly all my genertic PS2 controllers use the same membranes. Any idea in how to fix the Start button? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: cearp
D

Deleted User

Well, I'd suggest to open up the controller and clean it, but be careful and remember where each piece goes. Alternately, you could just buy another controller although I don't know if it's cheap or not in Brazil.

My favorite PS2 controllers are the Wireless Madcatz (2xAA Edition). The Data Frog ones are very good (around £10/$13.44) on AliExpress, too, imo.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Pokémon still acts the same just feels like they tried making it into a werid anime instead of...