Dual Monitors / PC / Wii / Speakers Setup

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Jul 31, 2010.

Jul 31, 2010
  1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Hey guys- sorry for the harassment, this is my LAST thread about this topic, I promise.

I currently have a dual monitor setup for my computer, but one of them is dying out.

I'm going to be getting a Wii, so I'm also planning on getting a composite / component compatible monitor.

Here's my planning:
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1041/pcsetup.png

And here's the rear of the P2370HD:
    http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/...P2370HD_03.jpg

Hoping for the P2370HD to be an extension to my desktop when the source is set to PC, and to display the Wii when it's set to the Wii (RCA).

Now for my question(s):
    1- If I'm running full computer (desktop on primary and extended onto secondary), and I switch the secondary to run the Wii, will the desktop still function on the primary?

If so, will the sound output whatever's on the desktop monitor AND the Wii monitor?
    If not, then why not?

Please note that the desktop's sound is outputted to the second monitor which is outputted to the speakers. Thus my assumption that the speakers would indeed output sound from both as both signals are coming from the second monitor in the end.

I'll add some more questions if I come up with any.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

2. liquidnumb

Member liquidnumb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What OS are you running? When I did this with XP, the desktop continued to work on my primary AND secondary even if the input was cut. IE, everything looked peachy one monitor 1 but I could lose my mouse on monitor 2. To fix this you may need to manually switch your desktop settings each time you change sources on your secondary, or just leave it until you switch back. If it helps, you can select which monitor your overlay (fullscreen apps/video) has affinity to.

I don't know about that particular model, but sound typically is output only from the selected source. If you switch your secondary video source to RCA, it will likely only output sound from your RCA audio cables.

3. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I've got Windows XP HE.
    Hmm.. meaning that I should "disable" the second monitor from being a part of the desktop, then switching the sources?

Ah I see. So the only alternative to outputting the sound from both the first monitor (desktop) and second monitor (Wii) would pretty much be 2 sets of speakers?

4. GutsMan.EXE

Member GutsMan.EXE GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes though what you should do is get a audio switch which you plug your wii and pc + whatever else into then plug that into the monitor and you can then easily switch between sound outputs.

*EDIT*
    PS. i have a similar setup execpt instead of a wii it's a xbox, both monitor to pc are vga-dvi, speaker go into pc and headset into speakers, xbox goes into speakers when i want to use it (speakers have 2 audio inputs and when xbox one goes in it doesn't play pc sounds) xbox uses hdmi-dvi cable to monitor, have free built in speakers on monitor if i need.

5. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Yes, my taskbar will always be on my primary (first) monitor.
    So my desktop would pretty much function on both the same on monitors except, obviously, my secondary monitor would be displaying the Wii's video (no mouse, etc)?

However, your answer to my sound question differs from liquidnumb. :\

6. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    Read my edit on post.

Well the mouse would still be there it's just that you wouldn't see it cause it's on the secondary but secondary is displaying a different output, all you'd have to do it move your mouse to the left to see it again. I play with my console and use the pc at the same time so if setup right it's simple.

Well a audio switch would basically select which audio to output, like a kvm switch, the switch is just there to make your life easier so there is no need for unplugging etc just the click of a button or switch [​IMG].

7. liquidnumb

United States
    I think in this case he is effectively using his monitor as his audio switch. All sources get plugged into the monitor, and then the speakers on the monitors line-out output whatever source is selected on that monitor.

You could also use your computer as an audio switch with as many devices as you have line-in jacks, but in most cases there's only 1. The upside to that is you can have more than one audio source playing at a time. I think a dedicated switch could provide this functionality, but one with that feature might cost more than one that doesn't. I suppose you'd have to check.

8. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    ?

9. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    Really? From the setup picture he posted i thought he was plugging pc/ wii into audio in and then speakers into audio out so whatever was plugged into the input would play on the output so thus he would keep switching the wii and pc jacks, so a switch plugged into the input and the pc and wii into the switch would be better.

Unless that's not what his setup was going to be?

*EDIT*
    Unless your speakers have multiple jacks in/ out only one audio out would be played at any given time thus the switching/ plugging. So either you would hear the sound from your wii or from your pc not both at the same time unless you have the cables though would you really want to hear, for example, a movie and a game at the same time?

10. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    My setup is pretty much exact.

PC output -> Monitor Audio In.
    Wii output -> Monitor RCA In.

Monitor Audio Out -> Speakers.

Unfortunately, my speakers only have one male end 3.5mm which, as above, is connected to my monitor's audio out.
    So I'll only be getting a single signal being outputted? I figured that since both sound signals end up in the same place, they would both be outputted as well. :\

11. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    Yes only one would be outputed even if both were on at the same time but you can choose which one is being outputted, eg you want to listen to music and play a game or have text up to read like a walkthrough and listen to the game.

12. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    How would I switch between the two?
    Getting an audio switch?

13. liquidnumb

United States
    Since you are only dealing with two outputs, and assuming those are the only outputs you want to use simultaniously in the future, the cheapest way to mix them would be to do this

Wii RCA > 3.5mm adaptor > PC Line in

PC > Speaker output

If you wanted to add more sources to mix, and can't find a switch that mixes sources on it's own, you can put a switch behind the line in but you will only ever get 1 source + PC at a time. Looks like this

Wii > Switch > PC

Xbox > Switch > PC

PC > Speaker output

14. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    Yeh like what liquidnumb suggested, since your only having two outputs you can plug speakers into pc and when you want sound from wii plug the wii into speakers.

But if more then two i'd suggest a switch so something like this: PC&Wii&other devices -> switch -> monitor

15. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Ah I understand.
    For the 3.5mm adaptor, something like these, correct?
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...amp;lid=1342490
    http://www.nextag.com/Cables-to-Go-3-519285010/prices-html

Are there any quality / performance differences between the cable type (first link) and the plug type (second)?

16. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    I'd get the second one so there would be less cables to deal with, not really both would be the same.

17. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    OR would plugging the regular RCA component cables into the second monitor, then a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male into the PC Audio In be better?

Sorry, I'm just looking for the solution with the least amount of quality loss.

18. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    why not get a vga box?

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_1080p_megacool_vga_box.htm (fair pricey but its one of the more reliable, i guess, products out there).

this way you won't have the hassle of changing cables whenever you want to swap between your 2nd display and wii, you also can hookup other consoles if you want.

19. GutsMan.EXE

United Kingdom
    You won't have any quality loss as each cable is doing different for another device and when the meet it's relatively in a short distance, it's not like the cables are 5m and your putting 1 speaker in each room of your house [​IMG].

20. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Ah thank you. I guess I'll just go for the 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male. Nice and cheap.

So here's my final setup:
    http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1161/pcsetup2color.png

Confirmation? Ugh, I feel so paranoid. -.-