Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I went and bought myself a new HDD (1TB, woo!
grog.gif
), and I plan to set up a dual boot on it.
Partitioning has been figured out, and I'm completing it as I type this post.

I plan to install:
Windows XP
Vista
Windows 7
Some flavor of Linux/Ubuntu

Now, I've read that XP should be installed first, before installing Vista.. But would this matter at all since I already have the HDD partitioned out?
Would I be okay if I install the OSes in any order? (I don't have an XP disc handy yet, so I have to wait on it before I can install that OS)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What I did to mine was partition it with a Puppy Linux Live CD then I install the OS's one by one then configured GRUB. I don't think anything else really matters.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah order doesn't really matter, I'd install Xp first, then Vista, then Win7. That's so that one of newer Windows sOS don't screw it up. You can install Linux whenever you want, plug it in between Xp and Vista if you want.

Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
Yeah order doesn't really matter, I'd install Xp first, then Vista, then Win7. That's so that one of newer Windows sOS don't screw it up. You can install Linux whenever you want, plug it in between Xp and Vista if you want.

Screw what up, exactly? The XP install, you mean?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ZML said:
Golfman560 said:

Screw what up, exactly? The XP install, you mean?
If you install XP last it would replace the bootloader used by Vista/Win 7 and you'd only be able to boot XP. This isn't hard to fix though, but to make it go as quick as possible you should install them with the oldest first.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So long as you don't overwrite the partitions for your windows installs it shouldn't matter which order if you install ubuntu (or another linux variant that uses GRUB) last

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...