DSx86 v0.10

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Minox, Apr 11, 2010.

Apr 11, 2010

DSx86 v0.10 by Minox at 2:57 PM (7,181 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Minox
    OP

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    DSx86 v0.10
    Beta
    [​IMG]

Pate, the author of DSx86 an emulator for the x86 architecture on the DS has released a new version of said application. Through this release DSx86 now supports all 320 pixel wide Mode-X(/Mode-Y) variations, has received a fair number of fixes for games and bunch of other fixes. Among the fixed games in this release is Wolfenstein 3D which now should work as it should, so if you have an exquisite desire to play it on the DS, then now is your chance. For a full list of changes see the changelog below.

Changelog:
    [​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss
    Thanks to vaguerant for the heads up via IRC​

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    ZSNES? Anyone tried it?

3. Minox
    OP

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I probably does not work. Although it is an x86 emulator it is limited to the capacity of approximately an Intel 286.

4. petete

Newcomer petete Newbie

Argentina
    Besides running an emulator in an emulator in a DS doesn't sound like a good idea.

5. Duobix

Newcomer Duobix Newbie

Poland
    So, actually, what besides Wolf3D can we run on this? Windows 3.11?
    I really have no knowledge of this era 87-92 in term of pc gaming. This
    knowledge would be valuable if I'd want to play something. Any sugestions?

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the goal is to support as many DOS games as possible which run on the 80286 cpu.

you are looking for dos games made for the "286" when you begin to google. MCGA, CGA and EGA graphics are supported at this point with limited VGA Mode-X support. he is working hard to get better scailing and more support.

his blog is worth bookmarking: http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

Minox, thanks for the news!

-another world

7. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Bah, gonna have to try ZNES myself... I suck at Dos >.< Was hoping someone might do it for me. [​IMG]

8. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Wow, I didn't expect for it to be able to play Wolf3D at all [​IMG]

9. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's a pity, it's just slightly too weak for the really good flood of PC games -- Magic Carpet, X-Com, Master of Magic, Ultima Underworld, Master of Orion and so on all seem like they're just a bit beyond it (although the developer's blog says that he's working on Master of Orion.)

Anyhow, for games that do run, there's a list on the creator's site.

I'd recommend Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception for a fun sci-fi RPG. The Secret of Monkey Island is also great, but you could play that on SCUMMDS anyway... Commander Keen and Duke Nukem (no, not the 3D game) were also good sidescrollers. Elite was a pretty good free-roaming space adventure game, although the graphics are very minimal wireframe lines. Solar Winds was a kinda fun freeware space-action-adventure game...

But overall this stops slightly short of the real golden age of PC gaming. You could try to get a version of Wizardry or Starflight working, maybe...

10. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

No, but it will run Windows 2.03 (with MS-DOS executive) once support for the low level DOS and EMS (especially better expanded memory support, which is next) stuff is added. If it requires protecte mode (dos4gw/cwsdpmi) then it will NOT run as it only emulates an 8086. Oh, and no it will not run DesqView due to all the dirty tricks it uses to enable preemptive multitasking of DOS apps without using virtual 8086 mode.

11. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    dos4gw is definitely out of question, which means we'll never really get the high-end games on the DS, even if somehow the DSi is cracked, which it will not, since the 3DS is already coming along...

Speaking of that... 3DS. If the architecture is similar to the DS (and in a fundamental level it has to be due to backwards compatibility) this guy has an awesome head start in letting us play games such as Duke 3D on a Nintendo machine... sweet!

12. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dune II works almost perfectly except that the game's setup isn't able to detect XMS so no digitized sfx.
    Music works though [​IMG] with adlib anyways.
    The game is like just a tiny bit slow but very playable.

13. KnightFire

Newcomer KnightFire Member

Canada
    Been following Patrick and his progress for a while now, amazing, simply amazing.

Minox_IX: Please correct the Source link to point to his site rather than directly to his blog, as simply downloading the DSx86.nds isn't sufficient, you need 4DOS.COM and a DSx86.ini file as well.

phoenixclaws: Which ini settings do you have for Dune II [​IMG]

PS
    What was that GUI that worked on the Amiga (or was it Atari) and was ported to MSDOS... GEM?

14. phoenixclaws

United States
    @KnightFire

I haven't made a specific ini settings for it yet.
    But it runs just fine with the default.
    Just have to run the Setup.exe that comes with Dune II and set the game's specific settings.
    It runs fine with Soundblaster and mouse and choose no for XMS since that's not supported (yet?)

For the game though, Scale and Jitter make the game look the best because of all the text.
    Also use Mouse instead of Keyboard for cursor movement.

15. HtheB

Member HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
  16. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Wasteland?!! (the Fallout prequel)

Thats pretty old school. I would love to have that portable.

And Civ? Rev was fun but not quite like the original.

EDIT: OMG!!! IT works!!! I don't believe it!!!

Scaled view looks like ass though, but thats expected. Still damn playable so far [​IMG]

17. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I thought Zsnes needed VESA video mode.
    At least, I remember that back in the snes emulation debut, VESA2.0 driver installation was needed.

I will be happy to play Dune II again [​IMG]
    Genesia
    The Settlers (the first one took a lot of my time)
    And a game that I always forgot the name : an isometric 3D, futuristic RPG like a turn by turn board game, inside spaceship. (Edit : Space crusade)

Do you think Ultima 7 will work one day or does it need 80386 ? It will need SVGA I think.
    And I remember U7 needed a lot of memory, QEM was needed to enable enough memory to load the mouse+sound at the same time, and it was a real pain to find a good memory configuration [​IMG]
    As the wiki says, it used a proprietary memory format, maybe it will be slow to implement.

18. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Ultima 7 uses a very unusual memory manager known as voodoo (no relation to the 3D card of the same name). Instead of switching between protected mode (for accessing memory above 1MB) and real mode (for DOS stuff) it uses a bug in 386 (and higher) CPUs to access full 32 bit flat memory without using protected mode. This 32 bit real mode (flat real mode, unreal mode, voodoo mode) is incompatible with anything other than pure DOS. Apparently it was done by messing with the segment cache directly rather than setting the segments the normal way. Even using emm386/qemm won't work with it much less Windows or OS/2. The voodoo memory manager is the reason Exult (U7 replacement engine/virtual machine) exists in the first place. As for it being propriatery, that method was well known in the demo scene long before Origin decided to use it.

19. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Thank you for the explanation.
    I didn't know how Ultima 7 managed the memory.
    (I took "proprietary" on wikipedia, it seems it's wrong then).

I'll test few old games I still own when I have time and let you know.

20. phoenixclaws

United States
    Although DOSBox is able to emulate Ultima 7. Exult is a port of the engine so it has more features and etc than the original Ultima 7. I highly doubt U7/8 will be emulated on anything like the DS.
    At least U1-6 can be played. There are some bugs but it's playable.