Hacking DSTWO vs CycloDS?

pandaguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k im still pretty new and when i was looking into what fhashcart to get for a nds lite at the time i think cyclods was the best around since they had alot of features and fast updates. i still havent got my flashcart but im getting 1 soon and now thers this new supercard dstwo everybody is talking about that its the best and its even a lill cheaper then the cyclods depending wher u get it at which i was thinking about simplymods since they seem fastest. now on updates on the flashcarts i read something that the dstwo can update itself does that mean it will have really fast updates like when a new popular game comes out that has bugs or doesnt work properly it will update itself to fix them? also the main bad thing i heard about the dstwo is since it has its own processor it can drain the battery faster, about how much play time would u get using a dstwo wihtout chargin? i just want to make sure i dont have to charge my ds every 10 mins lol. also does the dstwo work on ds lites cuz i see it being listed under dsi flashcarts on some sites? also im guessing u can use the 4GB Sandisk MicroSD with it cuz thats what i was thinking of getting. and btw around how many games would i be able to fit on a 4gb sd card?

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CycloDS is old and not recommended. Get a DSTWO.
SimplyMods is great, I would highly recommend them.
The DSTWO works with any size of MicroSD.
Yeah, it works in a DS lite.
How many games you can fit depends on the size of the games.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't drain power for the processor unless you're using it (emulating GBA, etc), although I'm not sure.
It doesn't update itself, you have to update it, but updates are simple.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The CycloDS would be a better flashcart than it is as of right now if they made it cheaper, because today, many of its features are included in cheaper carts, so the price premium isn't really going anywhere. Get the DSTWO, because it has quite a lot more features than the CycloDS right now, and that number of features is going to skyrocket in the future (DivX playback and SNES emulation to name a few).

Salax pretty answered the rest of your questions.

pandaguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k thanx for the replys. im not gonna care much about playing gba games to be honest. just mainly getting a flashcart that palys ds games, has rts, rtc, and fast updates. now the cheating device in dstwo is it action replay or something different and if its something different is it easy to use?

also ive read multiple ppl having problems with dstwo and ther sd cards wher after awhile ther not working. if this happens to me should i return the sd card, or flaschart and if this is a big problem which it seems like it is r they working on coming out with like an update to fix this?

also is ther a dstwo guide cuz i couldnt find 1, cuz i dont know much about flashcarts or when i get the flashcart will it come with instructions/guide on what i need to do to get started right away? basically when i first get the flashcart and do what the instructions say which im thinking thers going to be can i start putting ds games on it and playing them right away or do i need to do stuff and follow an online guide somewhere? if so a link would be nice.

also is ther a ds game compatibility list or do all ds games work on it? hoping for no probs with puzzle quest 2 when it comes out lol.

r ther needed plugins that r must haves or r all plugins optional cuz most likely unless it enhances something about the ds games or running ds games or anything about the ds games since thats what im gonna be doing, dont care about gba or homebrew games i wont care much about the plugins?

but so far seems like im getting a dstwo.

if i think of anymore questions ill come back.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The DSTwo is cheaper than the CycloDS (at least at realhotstuff) and has better in game menu and savestate compatability. As an example, on the CycloDS (fimrware 1.58 final) if you use the in game menu in Final Fantasy 4 anywhere except the world/town/dungeon map (in menus, combat, or cutscenes) it will freeze as soon as you return to the game but the DSTwo works perfectly. Also in Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings using the in game menu on the CycloDS will freeze the game on returning but not on the DSTwo. In addition, some games on the CycloDS will have music/graphical glitches with the RTS/savestate feature but very few if any do on the DSTwo.

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion they're both great but some of the bugs in SuperCard DSTWO still need to be fixed before it's great like for example Wario Ware DIY it works perfectly on CycloDS Evolution but it works on SuperCard DSTWO they still need to fix the issues for Wario Ware DIY mainly a saving issue I'm surprised they didn't fix it that much yet. They're both good cards but for compatibility I would say CycloDS atleast when they know there is a problem they get to it right away. Plus CycloDS is Wii Connectivity Friendly while the SuperCard DSTWO isn't right now.

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
Salax said:
CycloDS is old and not recommended.
The CycloDS may be "old" but it is still recommended.
rolleyes.gif

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd suggest a CycloDS Evolution because it just works. The Cyclo has a lot of great features and the Team listens to people. As for in game menu glitches and RTS related problems, they aren't really visible. During the last 2.5 years that I've had a Cyclo, I've had it freeze about 10 times in total and that has usually been solved with a new dump or updating the firmware (like every flash cart has to be updated once in a while since there is no automatic update for every game).

As for SNES emulation and basically everything else, you can use homebrew programs. The DSTwo processor isn't that much needed as a self for playing SNES/other games. On top of that emulating GBA is always emulating, a lot of games won't work for a long time if even then.The processor should be using power 100% of the time since it is part of the chip that is powered.

It's all down to what you prefer: a stable and still very usable CycloDS Evolution or the not so stable/unfinished SCDSTwo. This is something that everyone can say even though they have a SCDSTwo or want one. A lot of the features the SCDSTwo should have haven't been released yet. It could take a while to get them done.

//Qtis

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want a cyclods revolution cheap get an IEdge.
I don't think it has RTS though, does it?
I think the Cyclod is personally better as firmwares come quick.
The SCDS2 is good against anti-piracy if you don't have the time to wait.(I'm tired of those people bragging about the SCDS2 though
glare.gif
)
I got the Cyclods so i might be biased
smile.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pandaguin said:
also is ther a dstwo guide cuz i couldnt find 1, cuz i dont know much about flashcarts or when i get the flashcart will it come with instructions/guide on what i need to do to get started right away? basically when i first get the flashcart and do what the instructions say which im thinking thers going to be can i start putting ds games on it and playing them right away or do i need to do stuff and follow an online guide somewhere? if so a link would be nice.

http://gbatemp.net/t232281-supercard-dstwo-review
Not exactly a guide but it does contain important firsthand information and warnings.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the cyclo ds is catered for the ds lite only and the supercard dstwo is catered for the dsi and xl models, it's pretty pointless getting a supercard dstwo for a ds lite? just get a cyclo ds, it takes memory cards up to 32gb and aint full of bugs like the sueprcard is, plus with cyclo ds you get much more frequent updates than supercard, i wouldn't personaly touch one.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why does everyone make the SCDS2 out to be a buggy piece of trash? The only bugs I've noticed are the in-game menu not working in some games (this also happens on the Cyclo) but other than that the cart is pretty freaking bug free. In fact, I think that it's even less buggy than the recent 1.7 release of AKAIO which seems to be having problems on several AkRPG's and sometimes does not save settings properly.

Sure, the DSTWO's GBA-side isn't the most stable and functional thing in the world... but why call the entire cart buggy when the only part that really has any issues is a feature exclusive to the cart? It's like saying that XBOX360>PS3 because Metal Gear Solid 4 sucks.... it's a terrible argument.

Not only is the DSTWO cheaper than the CycloDS, but it does everything the Cyclo can, AND MUCH MORE. Buying a CycloDS with the DSTWO now released is just plain stupid... unless you are that much of a heckler for build quality.
The DS-side of the DSTWO is spectacular. Saving and loading states is much faster and efficient than the CycloDS and the in-game menu offers more functionality including cheat toggling, real-time guide, free-cheat, and a clock (which is more handy than it sounds). The DSTWO's game compatibility is fantastic and only realllly recent games like MMZCollection seem to have any issues (but it's having issues on almost all carts too).

Although the Cyclo has recently been updated to v1.59 it doesn't get updated NEARLY as fast as the DSTWO does. Prior to 1.59 and save for some BETA firmwares, the Cyclo firmware hasn't been officially updated since March. Since the DSTWO's release, its been getting firmware updates on AT LEAST a bi-weekly basis.

This isn't to say that the Cyclo isn't a decent cart, but with the DSTWO out there's no reason for anyone to buy a Cyclo anymore... unless you plan on running your flashcart over with a truck to test its build quality.

pandaguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thanx for all the info. i think im gonna go with the dstwo cuz they dont have cyclods at simplymods and they have lil faster shipping and my bday is june 19 and my bro said he was gonna order it june 15 since thats when he gets paid. and im hoping i wont have any probs and that some of the minor bugs they fix but if my mem cards keep getting messed up then ill prob try to trade back the dstwo and get a cyclo ds from realhotstuff.

aww man i wanted to play mmzcollecton lol. im guessing theyll update though. do most new games come out usually have some kind of a issue or is it just some new games cuz im hoping puzzle quest 2 works just fine.

pandaguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coattails said:
MMZcollection works fine, it just has some in-game menu issues and the game slows down when a lot of cheats are enabled.

k cool thanx. is ther like a nds game compatibility list so that way i dont use the in-game menu on the games that have probs with using in-game menus or am i just gonna end up finding up by doing it lol. nice avy lol. and since u seem like u know ur stuff about dstwo i might pm u if i have questions/problems when i get my dstwo if thats ok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E