DSTWO + CFW benefits?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by evidenz, Jan 13, 2016.

1. evidenz
    OP

evidenz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Armenia
    Hello! just wanted to ask.. i have an old 3ds xl version 7.0.2 with a normal dstwo (ds, snes, gba, etc)
    what are the benefits of installing cfg besides the homebres, translates and localization?

well hopefully i can get some insight

bye !

2. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    DSTwo gives you access to the entire NDS library, witch and CFW cannot do.
    Also, it can be used to install mset exploits.

CFW gives you access to all 3DS games, and lets you install better emulators than the dstwo.

Last edited by sweis12, Jan 13, 2016
  3. evidenz
    OP

evidenz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Armenia
    well the snes one on the dstwo has lots of frame rate problems... thats better im guessing on the cfw right? (since dstwo runs on hiw own cpu)
    also.. "acces to all 3ds games", you mean downloading roms? or in the sense of not region lock?

bye! and thanks

4. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    in .cia format yes
    and yes
    depends on the game (the ds2 emulator is likely better atm)

5. evidenz
    OP

evidenz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Armenia
    hello again!, just wanted to ask what would be the best method to exploit it.
    since mset exploits was fixed on version 7.0.0-13. and i'm on 7.2.0-17u
    should i try to upgrade to 9.2? and which exploit could i use? (i dont own cubixninja)

well thanks bye!

6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    yes you should update sysnand to 9.2
    do you mean to launch the cfw on 9.2 . . . menuhax, browser and (downgraded) mset
    or simply homebrew . . . menuhax, browserhax, homebrew launcher.cia, cubic ninja.cia
    or were you asking how to update your sysnand . . . its in the cfw guide here [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 13, 2016
  7. Innos

Innos Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2015
    United States
    DSTwo works fine with CFW, right?
    I read some DS flash cards might not work...

8. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Please don't necro/hijack threads.
    But yes, DSTWO has pretty much always worked.

9. Innos

Innos Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2015
    United States
    OK, the thread was just a couple of days old.
    Thanks for the reply.

10. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    You don't need to load CFW to use the dstwo card.

11. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    DSTWO + CFW benefits? I don't know. I prefer the look and feel of the DSi XL for DS games. DSi (XL) is cheap, common, easily replaced, and no complicated (risky) haxie installations are required. Reinstalling the DS Profile stuff to NVRAM (GW or RX) is also easy to forget to do when you want to switch back to 3DS.

12. Hyura

Hyura GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2013
    Brazil
    No need to do that. You can run the DSTwo using the sysnand 9.2 or even on emunand (at least for older versions of the rxTools).

13. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    No need to do what? If you are using the DS profile exploit and launch a real DS cartridge (or DSTWO Fake Alex Rider), doesn't that reboot the 3DS in DS mode, overwriting the DS Profile?

You mean you can decide not to use the DS Profile to boot your CFW, but instead menuhax and the homebrew launcher (for GW)?

This is interesting but I still like to keep my DS Games+Emulators (running off DSTWO) and 3DS (GW emunand) stuff in separate devices. Too confusing with all that stuff in one handheld.

Last edited by romanaOne, Jan 21, 2016
  14. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    So you lose GW mset if you use a regular DSTWO? That sucks, since I want to play a DS game but don't want to lose mset. Is there any solution apart from reinstalling mset?

15. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Just rerun the "GW Installer.nds" from the blue card (or DSTWO) to put it back.

Yes. Don't use MSET (see the latest Gateway 3.7.1 manual) and use the menuhax and HBL.

16. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    The thread was less than a week old, are you srsly calling it a necro? Would you rather he made a whole new thread, or would we find you whining in that one too?

Anyway the safest bet for using a DSTWO is to NEVER use it for emunand and just use it in a CFW or even on sysnand for DS games (just make sure you put mset exploit back on OR use menuhax)

17. dkabot

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Yes, I would, because then you'd be creating another topic for another question. Like you should be.
    Or would we find you whining about there being a whole new thread over there?

In any case, if you're using a modern CFW setup with homemenuhax then you can launch the DSTWO from EmuNAND just fine, it'll rerun homemenuhax when you exit but that's not a huge deal.

18. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    So basically if I run a DSTWO while on RXTOOLS, I won't lose the GW mset? My current set ups are:

1. To launch Gateway emunand, I use mset on sysnand 9.0

2. For RXTOOLS, I hold L while booting to launch the Homebrew Menu, and I choose the RXTOOLS.3dsx from there.

19. dkabot

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Mixing them, I can't say for sure. I'd place my bets you'll lose your mset, though.

20. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Why do you need to be in a CFW to load the dstwo? shit makes no sense? Playing ds games doesn't need an updated sysnand, if the GW mset disappears than run the nds file again like someone stated.