Hacking DSTWO build quality

cowboycoder77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have read mixed opinions so far. So can those lucky early DSTWO owners share their opinion please? How is the build quality of this cart?

Does it fit well like a retail cart? Does it feel solid or flimsy? How does it compare to rival flash carts (Cyclods, Acekard 2i, etc)?

Many thanks in advance.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The card itself feels flimsy to me. I don't like that the chips are so accessible when it's outside of the DSi, it makes me feel like dropping it slightly or having things near it that could potentially make contact could damage it easily. It's a tight fit in the Slot-1 already, so I suppose they had no choice but to just cover them up with a sticker. The card itself is the same size as a retail cartridge, but when it sits in the slot it's not flush with the back of the DSi, it sits in a little bit. I'm not sure why that is, but it's in comparison to Pokemon Heart Gold. The MicroSD card in mine keeps getting caught on something inside when I try to click it out. I have to wiggle it around a bit for it to actually come out. Putting it in is nice, though, I do like the spring loading. I'm not sure if I prefer the spring-loaded method over the non-spring loaded method, though. I guess I got used to it with the R4, but at least I know the MicroSD card isn't going anywhere.

Ultimately, you shouldn't have to worry about it because most of the time the card sits in your DS, so there's not much of a chance for it to get damaged. When taking it out to put new stuff on it, however, I advise caution. This is all in comparison to the R4, which I feel is really solidly built, and has gained that status over the time I've had it by generally being not broken after the stuff it's been through. We'll see if the SC DSTWO withstands the test of time.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kentoss said:
The MicroSD card in mine keeps getting caught on something inside when I try to click it out. I have to wiggle it around a bit for it to actually come out. Putting it in is nice, though, I do like the spring loading. I'm not sure if I prefer the spring-loaded method over the non-spring loaded method, though. I guess I got used to it with the R4, but at least I know the MicroSD card isn't going anywhere.

I have the same issue with my acekard2i, although I really wouldn't call it an issue since all spring-loaded flash carts do it. The spring always feels like its about to crack when I put the SD in or take it out, it's really gut wrenching
ohnoes.png

I wish everyone made teethed carts with a side non-spring loaded SD slots.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
I'm not sure how in the world you guys are getting FLIMSY from this cart. It feels pretty solid, although it seems on the thick side a bit.

I suppose our thoughts on what constitutes as a flimsy build differ. I called it flimsy in comparison to my R4, which doesn't have a sticker guarding it's important hardware.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
I suppose, the R4 is rather well built, but the DSTWO is in no way bad, compared to modern carts, it is actually quite good, although the chip sticking out is definitely a negative.

I can agree with that. It's not like it's made of tinfoil. I had nothing else to compare it to other than my original R4, which has lasted a while for me.

Edit:

I actually take that back. While removing my DSTWO from the package it came in (I put it back in to pose for some pics) the front plate of the card at the top right side split from the back part of the card. That shouldn't happen, given it should be snapped securely in place.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Kentoss said:
PharaohsVizier said:
I suppose, the R4 is rather well built, but the DSTWO is in no way bad, compared to modern carts, it is actually quite good, although the chip sticking out is definitely a negative.

I can agree with that. It's not like it's made of tinfoil. I had nothing else to compare it to other than my original R4, which has lasted a while for me.

Edit:

I actually take that back. While removing my DSTWO from the package it came in (I put it back in to pose for some pics) the front plate of the card at the top right side split from the back part of the card. That shouldn't happen, given it should be snapped securely in place.

hahahhahaa
that was my problem

when i was trying to remove it from the box
it was like so tight
so i tried to use a little force to remove it
next thing i realise the front cover is partially open up...
frown.gif

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
do you think they will improve build quality in a later release?

-how long will it take for a new batch to be made?

-any chance of a white cart?

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
rich333 said:
do you think they will improve build quality in a later release?

-how long will it take for a new batch to be made?

-any chance of a white cart?

i don't think the build is that bad.......
is just being a little flimsy...
however, that becomes nothing when it is removed from the box
smile.gif

is just a solid card that lies there
smile.gif

i don't think this should be a deciding factor to buy or not to...

white cart? lol... no idea

nuno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cart definitely feels a bit flimsy in comparison to my ak2i and quite possibly even the dstti.
In particular, at the bottom of the cart, the plastic is not snug and seems very thin(not to sure if you can notice it in the re sized image)
When lined up with 2 other carts, it doesn't appear that the supercard dstwo, is any thicker then the rest.

2uq15pj.jpg

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
nuno said:
The cart definitely feels a bit flimsy in comparison to my ak2i and quite possibly even the dstti.
In particular, at the bottom of the cart, the plastic is not snug and seems very thin(not to sure if you can notice it in the re sized image)
When lined up with 2 other carts, it doesn't appear that the supercard dstwo, is any thicker then the rest.

2uq15pj.jpg

i like you dsi xl im getting a dstwo with a dark brown dsixl too!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it