Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Title says it all really

IF there was anything you'd like to see added to the DSTT firmware - What would it be ?

I've been lucky to have a play with a few different Flash Cards, & found things I like & dislike with each (M3 Simply/N5/Acekard/DSTTi)

My latest card is the DSTTi - & although I like it 'just listing', & the fact you have icons to show soft-reset/cheats etc there's a few of things I'd would like see added to it.

These are:-
1) Games are automatically alphabeticalised (& not shown in the order they were added to the card)

2) A way to 'split' the *.nds into groups (instead of all *.nds file in one list)
I would like the DSTT to list 'Folders' so that I could have 'Homebrew' in one folder & 'Games' in the other

3) A way to 'hide' or 'ignore' certain Folders/Files from the listing.
If anyone tried Moonshell 2 on the DSTT - you notice that all 'nds' plugins in the moonshl2 folder are also shown, which I find annoying. Perhap an 'ignore.ini' file in the TTMenu folder could be added that tells DSTT firmware not to look in (or list) such-&-such folder/file [The 'Acekard' has such a thing in it's 'global.ini']

4) Custom Icons for Homebrew.
Some Homebrew don't have a 'built in icon' (e.g LemmingsDS.nds) so the DSTT shows a 'TT' icon instead - I would like it if we could add a graphic file (e.g. 16x16 'LemmingsDS.png') into the same directory as the homebrew & let the DSTT show that instead.

5) Multiple themes selection.
I'm fed up that to change the theme I have to use a PC to overwrite 'Default'. I would like to install several themes & be able to choose them as-&-when the mood take me

I guess such a thing will never happen, since it may required a complete rewrite of the existing firmware.
But we can all dream - can't we ?
huh.gif
?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought the DSTT ignored hidden files. It doesn't?

Nearly all flash carts these days have the features listed in the O.P. Another feature that many other flash carts have is the ability to load GBA games directly to a slot 2 cart without the need for an external loader (such as GBA ExpLoader).

All that said, the DSTT will probably never have these features. These were all pointed out to the DSTT team when the flash cart first came out, and they never bothered to add these basic features. Now they're too busy writing fake-killer code into their firmware to even bother with too many compatibility updates, much less adding much-needed features to the menu.

If you want a flash cart with all these features and more, you can have an Acekard 2.1 for about $5 more than the DSTT.

-Bri

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
niu said:
DSTT is dead.

the only thing dead is your posts(i've seen him post this like 5 times to different threads) not adding anything relevant to what the thread is actually about. Great way to get your post count up I guess. Personally, I have two edge cards, and I just received my first dstt. I would like to see the typical flash cart operations added. Such as skinning foldlers for multiple skins, the ability to open sub folders, and the alphebetizing of files would be very nice to see added. So basically the same thoughts as kermitfrog. Lastly, the addition of compatability with more games, i.e. grand theft auto chinatown wars-LOL. FYI niu, your shallow posting is dead

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
drwrir said:
niu said:
DSTT is dead.

the only thing dead is your posts(i've seen him post this like 5 times to different threads) not adding anything relevant to what the thread is actually about. Great way to get your post count up I guess. Personally, I have two edge cards, and I just received my first dstt. I would like to see the typical flash cart operations added. Such as skinning foldlers for multiple skins, the ability to open sub folders, and the alphebetizing of files would be very nice to see added. So basically the same thoughts as kermitfrog. Lastly, the addition of compatability with more games, i.e. grand theft auto chinatown wars-LOL. FYI niu, your shallow posting is dead
Get YSmenu it has more functions (Alphabetical sorting is one of them)

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
drwrir said:
niu said:
DSTT is dead.

Get YSmenu it has more functions (Alphabetical sorting is one of them)

thanks tj, i'll check that out. I've never used ysmenu so i'll have to do some research. Thanx

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bri said:
If you want a flash cart with all these features and more, you can have an Acekard 2.1 for about $5 more than the DSTT.

To tell you the truth I have a Acekard 2i - but having sooo much trouble with it locking up on the health screen I just got fed up with it.
Personnally I don't thinks it's a dodgy card - more of a design flaw, since it seems ALL Acekard '2' have had this type of problem

QUOTEGet YSmenu it has more functions (Alphabetical sorting is one of them)
I've read about this YSMenu - & so I've taken the plunge & tried it - it does remind me of the M3 Simply (without the initial 3 icon launchpad)

Thanks to the thread at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138719 I've now even managed to get a skin set up
The only problem now is - Where's the tutorials ????
laugh.gif

I've figured out that
>Pressing [Select] scrolls through 'listing display' [Show NDS only/Show SAV onlyShow All]
>Pressing [Start] bring up 3 options (Passme/BootGBA/DSMenu)
>Pressing top left corner of touch screen alters Brightness
>If you change 'attributes' of files/folder (on PC) to hidden - they don't show up (unless you change 'listing display' on DS)

But being the curious type of fellow that I am - I'm looking at the YSMENU.INI file & notices a few 'options' that look promising

SKIN= (Does this allow Skin Selction somehow through YSMenu - if so How??)
AUTO_BOOT= (As soon as YSMenu starts - does this start up another 'defined' program)
EXT_APP1_FILE= (It states [Start button Menu] - does this allow an EXTRA button to appear when you press [Start] ??)
EXT_APP1_NAME=
[FILETYPE] (Is this similar to Acekards 'Hide' option, except this will 'Show' files on top of nds one - I know it show GBA, but could it be used for 'Moonshel etc ??)

Anyone knows of a GOOD tutorial for YSMenu - like a Wiki etc ??
If not perhaps one could be made & stickied

EDITED:

OK Found out that the EXT_APP1 DOES add an extra button to the [start] menu and that [FILETYPE] does allow extra file formats to be displayed - however not sure of what the rest of the line does (what is 'CAT'/'Swan' etc mean)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kermitfrog said:
Bri said:

To tell you the truth I have a Acekard 2i - but having sooo much trouble with it locking up on the health screen I just got fed up with it.
Personnally I don't thinks it's a dodgy card - more of a design flaw, since it seems ALL Acekard '2' have had this type of problem

ALL Acekard 2's have had this type of problem? I own two (an Acekard 2 and an Acekard 2.1) and have never had the problem you describe. I have also purchased several for friends and they've never had the problem. There is also an Acekard forum on this website with hundreds of users who have never had the problem you describe. So, I'm not sure what evidence you're basing your statement on.

Looking at the number of people who report these sorts of problems, the DSTT is notorious for having contact problems while there are relatively few reports of Acekards with contact problems.

At any rate, you should return your Acekard for a new one. They have a 1 year warranty, so even if the store you bought it from won't take it back, Acekard is very good about replacing defective flash carts. Send them an e-mail.

QUOTE said:
The only problem now is - Where's the tutorials ????
laugh.gif

Any YSMenu tutorial would probably be in Japanese. But there is an English readme that comes with it.

QUOTESKIN= (Does this allow Skin Selction somehow through YSMenu - if so How??)

Nope, you can't change skins from the menu -- only by editing the ini or by replacing the two skin files with new ones.

AUTO_BOOT= (As soon as YSMenu starts - does this start up another 'defined' program)

Yes, but beware -- it goes directly to the other program and unless that other program can run other files, you won't be able to get into the menu.

-Bri

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bri - seems like we're talking to each other in different threads regulary
laugh.gif

Anyway - What I meant by ALL Acekard '2' have had this type of problem is I meant it seems that 'Acekard 2', 'Acekard 2.1','Acekard RPG' & 'Acekard 2i' all seem to have had problems with 'Freezing on health Screen' however NOT everyone has experienced this.

Why this is so I don't know
huh.gif
- is it the combination of 'type of DS'(Lite/Phat/Dsi)/'DS Firmware'/'Type of Acekard'/'MicroSD' (Type/Speed/Manufacturer) that's causing it ?? - Answer on a postcard please

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear about that
sleep.gif

QUOTE said:
There is also an Acekard forum on this website with hundreds of users who have never had the problem you describe

I've just done a Forum search for 'Acekard freeze' & there's 803 entries found & if you
go to Acekard Site - there's at least 8 there about 'freezing' on switch on [In English - Don't know the word for 'freeze' in Chinese so can't search for those]

So as you can see there IS a problem with Acekards, just not everyone has experienced it

As for YSMenu Tutorials - Yes there is an English readme - but it doesn't explain the 'ysmenu.ini' sections, I notice there's mention of 'Rumble Settings' in it - so where are they ??

There's no info about Skins, & yes I know it's just 2 pictures called YsMenu1 & YsMenu2 (I did find mention of SkinSelecterYS.nds - but no idea on how to use it)

And the setting up was a little confusing to me (I found your guide better @ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138719
yay.gif
)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kermitfrog said:
Bri - seems like we're talking to each other in different threads regulary
laugh.gif

Anyway - What I meant by ALL Acekard '2' have had this type of problem is I meant it seems that 'Acekard 2', 'Acekard 2.1','Acekard RPG' & 'Acekard 2i' all seem to have had problems with 'Freezing on health Screen' however NOT everyone has experienced this.

Why this is so I don't know
huh.gif
- is it the combination of 'type of DS'(Lite/Phat/Dsi)/'DS Firmware'/'Type of Acekard'/'MicroSD' (Type/Speed/Manufacturer) that's causing it ?? - Answer on a postcard please

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear about that
sleep.gif

OK, I understand what you're saying, but if you're implying that contact problems are more prevalent with the Acekards than with other flash carts I'd disagree. DSTTs in particular (oddly, mainly the real ones, not as much fake ones) have had a lot of complaints about hardware problems with the contacts.

That said, it seems that newer DS Lites have shorter contacts than older ones, and that has caused some problem with many (perhaps all) flash carts on certain DS Lites. The solution is to put some tape on the back side of the PCB to bring the contacts closer to those on the NDS and hopefully help it make better contact.

QUOTE said:
I've just done a Forum search for 'Acekard freeze' & there's 803 entries found & if you
go to Acekard Site - there's at least 8 there about 'freezing' on switch on [In English - Don't know the word for 'freeze' in Chinese so can't search for those]

Sure, but I'm guessing a number of those are from games freezing, which can be caused by all sorts of things including slow or corrupt microSD cards.

QUOTE said:
So as you can see there IS a problem with Acekards, just not everyone has experienced it

I believe that yours has a problem, I'm just saying that there aren't many complaints on the Acekard forum of others having the same problem you described.

As for YSMenu Tutorials - Yes there is an English readme - but it doesn't explain the 'ysmenu.ini' sections, I notice there's mention of 'Rumble Settings' in it - so where are they ??

There's no info about Skins, & yes I know it's just 2 pictures called YsMenu1 & YsMenu2 (I did find mention of SkinSelecterYS.nds - but no idea on how to use it)

And the setting up was a little confusing to me (I found your guide better @ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138719
yay.gif
)

Agreed, YSMenu is very short on documentation (particularly English documentation). I imagine if you can read Japanese, Yasu has more information on his website or blog.

I'm glad that my instructions were useful for you (I've put the information in the stickied FAQ at the top of the DSTT forum as well), but I agree there should be a more complete guide or Wiki somewhere.

-Bri

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kermitfrog said:
4) Custom Icons for Homebrew.
Some Homebrew don't have a 'built in icon' (e.g LemmingsDS.nds) so the DSTT shows a 'TT' icon instead - I would like it if we could add a graphic file (e.g. 16x16 'LemmingsDS.png') into the same directory as the homebrew & let the DSTT show that instead.
You could just use Romer and add an icon into the ROM....

Bidoofguy

Custom Title:
Trophies
XP
Country
*Can't be bothered quoting*

I think I've got SkinselecterYS worked out. Firstly, for the people who don't have it, download it from here.

Basically, to get it to work, all you need to do, is make a few folders. Put the SkinselecterYS.nds file anywhere on the MicroSD card, and make a YSMenu folder on the root, if you don't have one already. In that folder, make a folder called Skin. Then, in that, make a folder for each of your skins, giving them an appropriate name (For instance, I have 'NDSLite' and 'Vista') And put your YSmenu1 and YSMenu2 BMPs in them. It should be self-explanatory from there.

There's a SkinselectorTT, as well, but I haven't tried that, yet.

Oh, and sorry if that made no sense whatsoever. Basically, YSmenu, then Skin, then [anything].

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Many thanks for that - I've given it a try & I've found out something else

IF you add a 'skin.ini' file to the same folder as the 'Skin' folder (e.g. 'NDSSkin') with the following info in it, then by pressing the Left or Right Shoulder buttons you can select either the (ink) colour stored in 'YSMenu.ini' or the 'skin.ini' colour scheme

Handy if you happen to have a Dark skin & want light ink, or a Light skin with dark ink

Skin.ini contents:-
[FILELIST]
; COLOR = BIT15 | BGR(5bit x3)
COLOR_PATH=0xFFFF
COLOR_FILE=0xFFFF
COLOR_FOLDER=0xffff
COLOR_SELECT=0xffff
COLOR_SELTEXT=0xffff

[FILEINFO]
COLOR_TEXT=0xffff
DRAW_FRAME=true

As for the layout - I doubt anyone can get too confused about what needs to be done:-

YSMenu (folder)
|__ Skin (folder)
|___|
|___|__ NDSSkin (folder)
|___|_____|_ YSMEnu1.bmp
|___|_____|_ YSMenu2.bmp
|___|_____|_ Skin.ini
|___|
|___|__ Vista (folder)
|________|_ YSMEnu1.bmp
|________|_ YSMenu2.bmp
|________|_ Skin.ini