DSTetris 1.0.0

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, Mar 26, 2008.

Mar 26, 2008

DSTetris 1.0.0 by JPH at 4:38 AM (1,615 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    [​IMG] DSTetris 1.0.0
    Tetris Homebrew Game for the DS
    [​IMG]

Simply a homebrew Tetris game for the DS.
    On the DSTetris homepage, the developer wrote a list of DSTetris's advantages over Tetris DS (which is, of course, opionated).
    Source is included in the download.

Advantages Over Tetris DS

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] DSTetris Homepage

2. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    that's a pretty funny list of "advantages"

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Battery life on the DS has little to do with aesthetics and much to do with the style of coding. There are certain practices that can greatly decrease a program's power usage from my understanding.

The "tons of menus" advantage is probably in reference to Lockjaw, the Tetris game for the DS that lets you customize nearly every aspect of the game.

4. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    funny changelog, trying to convince u over it!
    it amazes me how Urza didnt post on this. maybe since u broke her hearth

5. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Urza resigned - now it's up to me and FAST to post Homebrew news.

6. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Urza resigned? Aw. Anyway yeah aesthetics have very little to do with the battery life, what would definitely increase it would be turning off the backlight on the touchscreen, didn't try this out yet so I don't know if it does that. Anyway I'm really liking lockjaw and I adore the settings so I'll be sticking with that anyway. Also I have this feeling that I've seen this one somewhere quite a long time ago, with the same list of advantages.

7. Tenkaichi

Member Tenkaichi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Of course it's opinionated... It just sounds like elitist thought based off of the original Tetris. Now to state things everyone probably already knows:

If you use it (the "store" function), you suck. No, you're utilizing something that was introduced into the Tetris world. Store a tetrad and wait for another one to come up so that you can hit two Tetris combos in a row. Use it to save a piece that you can't put down without making an extra hole. It has its place.

One block preview - more is cheating. Again, original Tetris thought. More allows for more strategy and planinng ahead, plain and simple.

I have no problem with playing Tetris the way it was in the beginning. But get off your high horse... really. Pick up Tengen Tetris if you want to play that, or pick up Tetris DS if you want the added things.

But I'll tell ya; you'll have one hell of a time trying to speed beat down someone in Tetris DS w/o using either of those two things. It can be done, but come on...

8. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

9. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    whoever was playing the game in the screenshot isnt very good...

10. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    "dstetris only shows one block for preview. Why would you need more? That's cheating."

Haha, I know its his opinion but I cant seem to see how its cheating when its a whole new game and its the same deal for everyone lol.

Allways good to see new homebrew though, good job to anyone making it. Even if we do already have a superior tetris DS [​IMG]

11. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    This dev rocks

12. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Was Lockjaw: The Overdose ever ported to any other platforms? It's my favorite rendition of Tetris, has all I want: up for instant fall, nice and fast paced without being impossible, incredible effects, and it was tiny, .14 or .4 MB IIRC.

EDIT: remembered gpSP, I hope with all the "3d" effects it runs good, even Wario Land 4's effects after you hit the frog thing really slowed it down.

13. Alvin

Newcomer Alvin Newbie

United Kingdom
    Oh hey, news (or lack of) travels. Thank you for the comments. A few notes:
    * I in fact neglected to implement frame regulating, making the battery life suggestion somewhat void (I fixed that, see below).
    * Screenshot is from an emulator, so that and no frame regulating meant I couldn't really control it (screenshots were rushed anyhow).
    * Version there is written using uLibrary (makes the binary enormous), which isn't actually used now (libnds only now). I'd release it right now but there was some bug last time I checked. Maybe I'll fix it another day. Frame regulating is fixed there.
    * Comments are merely my frustration with Tetris DS, and hence rationale for dstetris. It's not like I actually figured people would appreciate this (hence the half-assed menus and zero attention to aesthetics). I guess appreciate is still pushing it in this respect though.
    * Oh yeah, it doesn't do backlight changing and whatnot. This was a rushed project, so it's no good.

It's pretty crap though, isn't it?