Hacking DSlite liquid problem

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
OK, before I get to the actual problem, I'll do a chronological list of factors that caused this.

Once I bought my DS:- I always thought that there was a closing at the end of stylus tunnel.

Day of the damage:- There was a TON on dirt in the stylus slot. If I kept it in, I'd have to pull the stylus out with difficulty and there would be a lot of dirt surrounding it. so I just ignored it while I was playing by not keeping the stylus in. Once I finished playing, I did one the most stupid things I've done in my life. I sprayed a glass clearer solution in the stylus tunnel. Yep, you heard me right. Never suspected that anything would happen then.

Two hours later:- My sister picks up the DS to play, but the screens turn all funny. It switches on, but it wouldn't go past the main menu. I leave it to dry with the stylus out, indoors.

Three hours later:- Condition worsens. Switches on, but only one screen lights up. Turn off turn on, other screen lights up.

Next day:- Turns on, but no screens.

Same day evening:- Doesn't even turn on.

Next day afternoon:- Removed the stylus and left it vertically on my roof with around 41 degrees Celsius of direct sunlight. No change.

Current situation:- The odor of the glass cleaner is still imminent. I've tried charging, and it charges EXACTLY as it should.

Comment like "Why the hell did you do that?" aside, what should I do if I were to open it up?

P.S. Nintendo doesn't legally exist in my country. My DS is imported and I never had any warranty. Getting a new DS is not an option.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One of the many uses of infamous Q-Tip...

Glass cleaner? Really?
frown.gif

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Schizoanalysis said:
Water conducts electricity... But I guess you know that now...

Water also evaporates, but this doesn't. And I do know that water conducts electricity. Read the first line of causes? I thought that there was a cap at the end of that damn slot.

QUOTE(Comrade Cough @ Apr 9 2010, 11:58 AM) One of the many uses of infamous Q-Tip...

Glass cleaner? Really?
frown.gif

Now if I only knew what was a Q-tip...

Regardless, didn't you read at the end(well, just before the end) that I didn't want any such comments? Can someone really help me out here? I have a working DS-X but a non-working dSlite.

Jay Boy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Could be it's shorted, so you're SOL. It might have been OK if it was allowed to properly dry, but once your sister turned it on it was at the beginning of its end.

Sorry to break the bad news. but seriously, glass cleaner? lol

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yea when your sister turned it on, the circuits and stuff turned on so the glass cleaner that didn't have enough time to dry fucked everything up...

If your sister didn't touch it, it would've been okay if it was left to dry properly

Well there really is no solution, sounds like everything short circuited because the cleaner wasn't given time to dry and was sploshing around damaging circuits when the NDS was turned on

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xaphatro said:
Water also evaporates, but this doesn't. And I do know that water conducts electricity. Read the first line of causes? I thought that there was a cap at the end of that damn slot.

Yes, I can read!

And you think it would be watertight, even if there was a cap? Cap or no cap... you're going to have problems with leakage... It isn't designed to be waterproof...

I'm sure it would evaporate eventually (alcohol based or water based, both will) -- and true, it will leave behind a bit of chemical residue... but the thing that actually broke it was turning the power on while water was shorting the circuits inside the unit...

EDIT:

QUOTE(Xaphatro @ Apr 9 2010, 04:35 PM) Regardless, didn't you read at the end(well, just before the end) that I didn't want any such comments?

Uh... this is GBAtemp... good luck getting a response that isn't a flame...

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell would you do that!?

Jokes aside, I agree with everyone else. You're screwed. I can't think of anything you could do short of replacing the ds which apparently you can't...

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
zeromac said:
Yea when your sister turned it on, the circuits and stuff turned on so the glass cleaner that didn't have enough time to dry fucked everything up...

If your sister didn't touch it, it would've been okay if it was left to dry properly

Well there really is no solution, sounds like everything short circuited because the cleaner wasn't given time to dry and was sploshing around damaging circuits when the NDS was turned on

Weird thing is, the odor of the cleaner is still there. Well, if I knew that it was going to short, I would've asked her not to touch it. She would understand. Even if she's only 7(Today's her birthday). Oh well. Maybe if I get 85%+ in my results tomorrow I can get my uncle in the US to get me new one without my father's knowledge.

@Schizoanalysis:

They should make all further electronic items waterproof from now on. It would help. Really help.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xaphatro said:
Comrade Cough said:

Glass cleaner? Really?
frown.gif

Regardless, didn't you read at the end(well, just before the end) that I didn't want any such comments? Can someone really help me out here? I have a working DS-X but a non-working dSlite.

q-tip
qtip.jpg

I sort of had a feeling it was an US thing to call them by the brand name, rather than by what they are. (Like tissue paper being called Kleenex)

And I am actually curious why you chose Glass Cleaner (Again, in my last post I wanted to say Windex :| ) since I'd think water would be enough. I wasn't trying to make fun of you.

You can look at the DSlite dis-assembly guide, and try to see what's going on inside, maybe grab some cotton swabs and try to clean as much as you can off. Make sure to take the battery out so you don't electrocute yourself.

Like other people have said, and despite what you DO, or DO NOT want to hear, you might have fucked your DS up permanently, and now are shit outta luck.

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Comrade Cough said:
Xaphatro said:
Comrade Cough said:

Glass cleaner? Really?
frown.gif

q-tip
qtip.jpg

I sort of had a feeling it was an US thing to call them by the brand name, rather than by what they are. (Like tissue paper being called Kleenex)

And I am actually curious why you chose Glass Cleaner (Again, in my last post I wanted to say Windex :| ) since I'd think water would be enough. I wasn't trying to make fun of you.

You can look at the DSlite dis-assembly guide, and try to see what's going on inside, maybe grab some cotton swabs and try to clean as much as you can off. Make sure to take the battery out so you don't electrocute yourself.

Like other people have said, and despite what you DO, or DO NOT want to hear, you might have fucked your DS up permanently, and now are shit outta luck.

First time I've posted so frequently on any forum. Just don't get many active boards. Either way, we call them earbuds here, because we use them to clean the dirt in our ears. Well, most of it. We use a pin for the rest.
blink.gif

I thought that my DS was gone the first time my sister turned it on. I'm still sad because even darn PS2 isn't reading DVDs.(Tried cleaning the lens). At least I've still got my Wii.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Xaphatro said:
I'm still sad because even darn PS2 isn't reading DVDs.(Tried cleaning the lens).

...with glass cleaner...?

I can't decide on...

Zing!

Or

bah-dum-tish...

There's always some hope that you can get it working again. as for the PS2, you can always get a new laser or a new PS2, they're pretty cheap now.

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I could get a new one. My main problem is the fact that I play too much(not when compared to others on the board) and my father now despises me playing. When he can take everything away, why would he even repair any gaming console for me?(Or even let me play for that matter). I am poor anyway.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry, couldn't resist...

The only thing I can think of to try to fix the DS is: disassembling it completely, drying off every bit very very carefully, then putting it back together when it is 100% dry...

If this doesn't work -- then you know that an electronic component has been fried...

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The way you said that is actually kind of insulting. Either way, it's just that I've haven't cleaned my DS in a long time. And the amount of dirt was an exaggeration. There would be a large patch of dirt on the stylus instead of the whole thing being surrounded.

Xaphatro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
KazoWAR said:
I had a Gameboy Color take a ride in the washing machine when I was a kid. After it was dry it worked fine.
If it fell in the water, I wouldn't even make this thread. I would have left it for drying and would have been fine. It's just that I never thought anything would happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol