Hacking DSLite d-pad not so good?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind a small d-pad .. it doesn't bother me on my GBASP2. But I've read a few different references to people not being too pleased with the d-pad on their DSLite. What I've read is that it's less precise and that diagonals are a little difficult.

I'm at a decision point of either sticking with my old DS and laying down about $150 for an M3miniSD (the new one that d/n stick out), Passcard 3, and 1GB card .... or put down about $300 for a DSLite, G6Lite, and Passcard3 whenever they finally release the G6 English version. (I know better than to think it's still gonna be $78 when it gets to Jandaman, so it could be more than that) That's a lot of extra dough, and the brighter screens are nice but I never minded my DSphat's display until they started telling me it wasn't bright enough. And I've got no issues with control or durability on my old DS. Got no dead pixels, either.

So, DSLite d-pad .... and any other DSL issues. Lay it on me.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think the DSlite's dpad is great
yaynds.gif

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I find the Lite d-pad to be much better than the original. The Lite's just feels better and is more responsive, not less. In fact, all of the Lite buttons are better. And the screen brightness really is amazing when you compare it. Get a Lite, play it for a couple days, then go back to the old DS. You won't believe that you ever thought that was "bright enough".
smile.gif

I have five co-workers who all have DS's. We game together on our breaks. As soon as I got my Lite and they tried it, all but one went out and upgraded to a Lite. The one who didn't upgrade is a pretty stubborn guy that insists that he doesn't need to upgrade, but even he admits that the Lite is better in every aspect and looks at us with a jealous glint in his eye every time we play.
smile.gif

I couldn't ever go back to a regular DS after having my Lite. It's a DS Lite, or no DS at all.

pirate_arrh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Volume slider is bung. Also the A, B buttons are kinda cheap, you can see the mold pressings on some of them. But they feel ok, and will last so its all good.

IMO DS is very well made from low cost materials. It's Nintendo solid still. Get a DS lite.

Oh and get flashme over passcard.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the DS Lite dpad sucks...there's no other word to describe it

it works great with Mario and Tetris, but once you've got to use the diagonals (like in Animal Crossing), the dpad becomes a real pain...
doing a powerslide in Mario Kart DS is also a bit harder with the DS Lite's dpad

the facebuttons are good though...they're better than the buttons of the original GBA and the GB Micro, and they don't have the clicky noise of the original DS facebuttons...

I suggest you to try out the DS Lite before buying it, instead of counting on the experiences of other users

pirate_arrh said:
Oh and get flashme over passcard.
but he'll need a passcard to install flashme
tongue.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The DS Lite d-pad is far better than the original. I actually performed better in games such as Mario Kart once I started using my Lite. I suppose it's all a matter of preference, that's what it really boils down to. Rather than listening to the already conflicting opinions here, you're going to want to get your hands on a Lite and give it a good bit of playtime to see whether or not you like it.
smile.gif

I use my Lite and my GBA Micro almost exclusively now because the d-pad and the buttons are superior to the regular NDS and the GBA/GBA SP. The screens on both are just gravy.

john_blk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At the begining i did not like the ds lite DPAD either but with time it does not better its not getting used to the pad i think it gets worn down and seems alot better after about 2 weeks.

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The japanese dpad is a lot 'softer' than the US version, so you don't get as much feedback. I think that's where the problem lays. For me, without the meaty click it's harder to tell how much pressure you need. I hope some releases a 3rd party mod to make things clicky like the good old phat days.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had no problems with my DS lite. As for the volume button you just have to slide it very slowly. My control pad works fine and so do all the other buttons. I do prefer it over the original DS. The brighter light and it being smaller makes it better as well.

Largo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On my DS Lite the dpad is kind of "squeeky", it makes little sounds when you press is like it doesn't fit well enough.

The volume control is another thing. On my black DS the volume slider must be adjusted with the nail of a finger because it is too tight to move just with a thumb.

compi_

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The D-pad sucks IMHO, for games like Mariokart it's just fine. But once you're playing Metroid Prime Hunters or Super Mario 64 DS, you'll have to agree that the diagonals are kinda hard. You have to push rather hard on your D-pad to get him moving .

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I heard that the M3 team is working on a smaller M3 for the Ds lite, so It won't stick out and ruin the looks... I guess it's a matter of what you want... Better looks or more games to play...

don't listen to what these guys say about the Lite. it's ay better when you put them next to each other, but If you wanna enjoy homebrew and test some roms, go with the M3, but remember if you get the Ds lite it won't look good unless you get a flashcart made for it, but when will that be available is still unknown...

go for your first choice, man... don't jump ship at 1.0 releases, wait for 1.2 at least... believe me, I got a Ipod Nano at release date and had to keep it sealed the first month until I got a case for it that didn't scratch it...

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
i got my DSL yesterday so i'm not very used to it... but i can give yuo my first impressions ;D
ALL the buttons on the old fat DS feels a little bit better except from the volume slider, it's easier to get it at the right place (not like you have to move it 0.2mm to change from no sound at all to very high volume with the old DS ;P)

the A button feels a little different from the B/X/Y, like it has been much more used or something, but they still fell very good, not as goodas the old buttons but still not much worse.

the D-Pad feels okey until you're about to move diagonal, then you get a little dissapointed when you have to press harder in order to realy move diagonal instead of for example right or up.. but i guess you get used to it if you play a little more than i've done so far
wink.gif

the start and scelct buttons is... moved! why nintendo? they were so good on the old DS, and the powerbutton to?
frown.gif
but anyway... the start and scelect is still quite good, just that i don't like that they've moved and become so small

the powerbutton hasbecome a slider... great... now you can turn it on/off while you have it in your pocket =/ that was my first thought when i saw that it was moved to the side of the DS

well.. now you're thinking, why in the hell would you buy a DS if the buttons feels better on the old one? because it's SMALL (compared to the old one ;P) and BRIGHT (if you want to drain the battery much faster ;P) acctually i still wish it had one darker setting and the option to turn it off, if you are on a place where you can't reload the battery ;P it's also GORGEOUS and i'm sure you won't regret it if you get a lite
wink.gif

what are you waiting for? go get a lite before they release a better one
wink.gif

cyfaws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I totally agree with the rest of the d-pad bashers. It does feel "squeaky" and alittle loose. It just plain and simple blows. Truly disappointing compared with the one on my GBA-SP. Perhaps should be noted that I have very little hands on experience with the old NDS model, perhaps the d-pad blows on it too?
wink.gif
. The rest of the buttons are good, though...just the friggin d-pad annoy me.

dmaister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought mines at Best Buy with a 2 year replacement plan. Now if my dpad, buttons, pixels, etc etc messes up I can go and get a new one. New DSL version? Ill go and switch it. New color? (BLACK!!) Ill go and switch it. I love the feel of the DSL, for me it feels very responsive, though I never owned a DS fat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end