1. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I just got a used 3DS which I got from ebay. No mention of Luma and it didn't show when booting with select pressed.

I put in a new sd card which I formatted and reformatted system in the settings. I still have the old sd card but there doesn't seem to be much on it.

I am on the newest fw 11.12.0. I am following the 3ds hacks seedminer guide.

I've tried both the Seedminer + BannerBomb3 + Fredtool and the Seedminer + PicHaxx + DSiDumper + Fredtool way and it always ends when I have to enter

settings -> data mangament -> DSiWare -> micro sd

I get an error notification and the system reboots: "An error has occurred forcing the software to close. The system will now restart."

Is there anything I can do?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    alexander1970 likes this.
  2. alexander1970

alexander1970 Austrian Guy - allowed make grammatical Errors

Austria
    Hello.:)

Was the Test REALLY sucessful ?

DS Internet Settings Test (used for Fredtool)
    1. Go to System Settings, then “Internet Settings”, then “Nintendo DS Connections”
    2. Press “OK”
    3. If your device loads into a “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup” menu, the test was successful
      • If the screen stays black or appears to freeze, the test has failed and you will not be able to use the bannerbomb3 method which requires a functioning DS Internet Settings

Thank you.:)

3. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention that I pass the test and my device loads the “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup” without problems.

Thank you! :)

4. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    Please don’t use “Format System Memory”. It changes the encryption key and makes a new bruteforce attack necessary (makes the obtained movable.sed useless)

Does Data Management crash with “An error has occurred…” on an empty SD?

Some maybe helpful links:
    https://3ds.eiphax.tech/issues.html
    https://3ds.eiphax.tech/frogminer.html (older, somewhat more complicated, but does not use System Settings, guide not fully updated/consistent as it still refers to Steel Diver at some point)

=============
    If none of the *miner methods work, there is still
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot
    =============

5. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Unfortunately, I already used "Format System Memory". After I got the DSiWare error the first time, I thought there might be something wrong with the system, so I formatted it.

What to do now? Is there still a chance of getting Luma on it? Maybe the frogminer way which you recommended in another thread?

Do I need a flashcard or is there a way to do it without it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  6. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    Just try accessing System Settings → Data Mangament → DSiWare → micro sd while there are no exploit files on the SD. If this crashes there is something wrong with the system. I guess the current Seedminer methods are not an option in this case.

The older Frogminer method is an option if Data Management cannot be used.

In any case: After using Format System Memory you have to start from the beginning with bruteforcemovable to obtain the current key.

==============
    Ntrboot with a compatible flashcart does not rely on any of the above.
    ==============

Quantumcat and alexander1970 like this.
  7. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thank you!

When I access System Settings → Data Mangament → DSiWare → micro sd while there are no exploit files on the SD there is no crash.

I did start from beginning after using Format System Memory.

I will try the Frogminer method.

Btw, today I received a used DDST card which I bought from ebay (bought used so I don't have to wait so long) and when I put the card into my 3DS nothing happens so
    I think the card is broken or worse the card reader from my 3DS.

alexander1970 and KleinesSinchen like this.
  8. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    I’m definitely not an expert for the *miner methods. If you followed the guide step-by-step without skipping anything on a known good SD and it still does not flash magenta (pink/purple) and create the needed file… I’m out of ideas here.

Please tell us the result of the Frogminer method.

Hopefully none of the two is broken.

Process of elimination:
    • Does the flashcart (DSTT) work on a DS-(Lite|Phat)? As far as I know DSTT never worked on (unmodified) DSi or 3DS. The whitelist check may cause the 3DS to simply ignore the flashcart. If yours is compatible to ntrboot you will need a DS-Lite|Phat or another, already modded 2|3DS to flash the exploit onto it.
    • Does the 3DS read/play any retail (3)DS games? If you just got your first DS system and have no games at hand: Buy the cheapest DS game in a second hand store or on a flea market (usually below a single €)
      • Having a game inserted prevents dust from getting into the slot – so get at least one game.
      • Leaving a flashcart inserted for the same purpose is a bad idea because these things drain the battery even when not in use.

Maybe @alexander1970 knows more about the DSTT and if it is even detected by unmodified DSi and/or 2|3DS consoles.

9. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Just tested a game, it works, so the slot is fine.

Now, there is a new problem in the frogminer method:

When I do the Japanese flipnote, it's supposed to lead me to the "Install boot9strap" option but instead, I get this screen:

[​IMG]

Also, I contacted the seller on ebay and he told me Luma was installed and he uninstalled it. I read that this can lead to problems...

10. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    Indeed. I even started "collecting" such examples and will most likely have to add yours to the list. The seller should have mentioned previous modding… but I know Ebay dislikes any form of console modding while conniving at numerous bootleg cartridges (so-called "repros"). Argh! Got to stop here! This goes off-topic.

===============
    If there are no signs of custom firmware like Luma settings when holding (Select) while turning on the 3DS I doubt there still is A9LH. It may have been there in the past and b9sTool is very careful with this.

Statement from zoogie, *miner developer about overriding in case of A9LH detection:

11. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks! How do I override it?

12. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    Look in the post above yours there is a link in the quote

13. KleinesSinchen

Germany
  14. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Well, if I brick it, I will need a ntrboot flashcard, right? If I don't succeed, I will need that anyway...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks, missed that. :)

15. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    You're right. You will need ntrboot anyway if this does not work. Let's hope for the best.

And don't forget the finalizing part if you succeed.

16. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I missed that, too. Yeah, this is what I was planing unless I can finde somebody with a DS where I can flash my DSTT.

Thank you!

17. s0litary

OP s0litary Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thank you soooo much for the support, it worked and everything is installed! :)

The only small thing: The last finalizing step 15. where I copy the SysNAND backup to my computer, the "essential.exefs" file is not present in the /gm9/out/folder

Is this a problem?

18. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    Glad it worked! That was some hard work.
    ========================

essential.exefs is embedded into the NAND image. I don't think it is that important to have it separately. But if you want it:

Navigate with GodMode9 to the drive [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL and select it there with (A) →Copy to 0:/gm9/out

This should copy the file onto the SD.

Edit:
    Or use the dumping option in the "Godmode9 All-In-One Megascript" which also addes the console serial to the name of the essentials backup.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    GM9 should have asked you the first time you opened it to create an essentials backup. Did you say no to that?

20. KleinesSinchen

Germany
    The previous owner had installed & uninstalled CFW – it was not the first time GodMode9 was started on that console.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - DSIWARE, crashes, install